Spock Lying

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Athena28, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

One might say that many species are in awe of the Vulcan alienness - their frankly quite exceptional self-restraint, their scary mindmelding skills, their reputation as fierce fighters in the past, their no doubt fascinating sexual perversions. People who would consider a Bolian or an Andorian just a fellow member of their own species with a particularly ugly face, and not trust him beyond how much they'd trust their weird uncle or lazy son-in-law, would believe anything about Vulcans.

And it is logical to think that Romulans would have a particularly severe blind spot in this respect, as their propaganda machine would have been feeding them "Vulcan otherness" for at least two millennia already. They might look down on enemies in general, but after such overexposure, the intense "Vulcans are different" propaganda would backfire and make them look up on them.

Timo Saloniemi

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

It's not just a Trekkie thing. This was a perennial source of confusion in the Underworld series, where the Vampire Elders lie all the time about their history, backstory, mythology, etc. This often seemed to fly over the heads of some confused UW fans who took every declaration from Viktor or Marcus as gospel--even when the plot made it very clear that they were constantly rewriting history to suit their own purposes.

"But . . . but Marcus said that killing an Elder would cause all vampires to die. So why didn't Selene die when she killed Marcus?"

Er, because Marcus created that myth for his own protection, as explained mid-way through the second movie.

Trust me, I used to get letters . . .

3. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Interestingly enough, Spock has a "get out of jail free" card where he can make a case for NOT lying to the Romulan commander about lying.

She says "There is an old saying, or is it a myth, that Vulcans cannot lie...?"

Spock replies: "It is no myth..."

Technically speaking, he could make the case that he was saying: "It is not a myth that there is an old saying that 'Vulcans cannot lie'...", which would be literally true...just not answering her REAL question and letting her assume that he did.

By the way, another case of Spock lying is in "The Tholian Web" when he joins Bones in denying that they'd listened to Kirk's message tape.

Frankly, it is the case, IMO, that most of the "Vulcans are pacifists/vegetarians'[insert behavior preference x]" carries an implicit caveat of "generally speaking" and "by choice".

4. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

^ +1, QFT.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Well to be fair, that bit with Norman wasn't simply a lie, it was gibberish. Perhaps a full Vulcan could have found it logical to use such gibberish if it was for the specific purpose done in that episode.

6. Athena28

Athena28 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I never thought about the half human part re: lying. That could make sense.

7. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Or, Spock could be saying that while it is not a myth that Vulcans cannot lie, there is in fact an old saying about Vulcan being incapable of lying.

Spock said nothing about the veracity of the old saying, one way or the other.

:)

8. Timo

..."It is no myth" = "It's a total sham", perhaps? :p

Timo Saloniemi

9. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

Pretty much the same as what I said...he was answering the question in such a way that she heard what she wanted to hear and that was technically still not a lie.

Ultimately, the biggest lie of all about Vulcans is the notion that they are some sort of perfected paragon of virtue and logic.

They're just like the rest of us and perfectly capable of being bigoted, irrational, etc.

Which is why I never had a problem with them as portrayed in S1-3 of Enterprise.

10. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

How? Lying isn't genetic, he can't inherit it from his mother.

11. Timo

The two aren't necessarily connected. As long as his mother took part in his upbringing, he might have been learning lying in ways a boy with two Vulcan parents never would.

Timo Saloniemi

12. Retu

Retu Commander Red Shirt

The myth of Vulcans not being able to lie went conclusively out of the window with Tuvok, a full Vulcan. Since he did infiltrate the Maquis. I'd imagine lying comes with the job.

I'd say Vulcans can indeed lie with the best of them. Hell, they probably are one of the best liars in the galaxy, since they have so much more control over their emotions. That probably eliminates all those little "tells" that we humans have.

13. Timo

Any Vulcan would of course laugh the myth out of court outright; it's just that they aren't into laughing.

"Not lying" is an impossibility, after all. Every statement issued is only a partial truth, and will be misunderstood anyway: it is not possible to make a statement that would not be untrue at a great many levels. Keeping your mouth shut doesn't help, as omission of truths would also count as furthering an agenda through perversion of truth.

Timo Saloniemi

14. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

I brought it up before - buit as to half-vulcans being able to lie, and full Vulcans not' there's Spock's father, Sarek, who lied to his wife (Amanda), Spock, and James T. Kirk directly - to conceal his heart condition in the TOS episode "Journey To Babel".

There's no getting around the fact, Vulcans (full, half, quarter, whatever) DO lie if they feel there is a logical reason to do so.:vulcan::guffaw:

15. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

Perhaps we assume that Vulcans can't lie based on the Romulan Commander's and Spock's conversation in The Enterprise Incident:

"There's a well-known saying – or is it a myth – that Vulcans are incapable of lying."
    "It is no myth."
    - Romulan Commander and Spock, as she interrogates him

Of course, we now know that Spock was lying at the time...

16. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

Yea, in courtmarshel he does tell the computer that vulcans are incapable of lying which could be a clever way of saying to themselves as mentioned but in another episode he blatently lies to s high official telling him the transporter had been fixed and he would like the opportunity to test it which was a plain flat out lie. (though written by shari Lewis in the third season) I always liked to believe that Vulcans were mythologically hard wired not to lie and couldn't if they wanted to, but lately I thought it was just a latent law that Vulcan passed illegalizing lying to insure themselves from destroying themselves during and after their savage thousand years of history.

17. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Didn't Robin Curtis play a duplicitious Vulcan in "Gambit"?

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Spock lied to the Klingons in Errand of Mercy, unless he is a trader in trillium and kevas.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  19. JimZipCode

JimZipCode Commander Red Shirt

I don't remember this event. It happened in Lights of Zetar?

20. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it would be from Mark of Gideon