AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Apr 20, 2012.

?

How do you grade The Avengers?

Poll closed Nov 26, 2012.
  1. A+

46.4%
  2. A

31.8%
  3. A-

9.3%
  4. B+

5.3%
  5. B

3.4%
  6. B-

1.6%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

1.2%
  9. C-

0.3%
  10. D+

0.3%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0.3%
  1. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This isn't very original, because Joss Whedon already made fun of superhero costumes. When Cap was criticizing Stark's character, Stark cunningly and perceptively riposted that Rogers was spangled. There is of course no way that a late forties man wearing a Black Sabbath tee could be considered anything but cool. Well, part of Stark's character is that he can be a dick. Dicking around about patriotism doesn't seem to be part of Stark's characters, but this isn't as blatant a Joss Whedon walk on as Thor's "he's adopted" line. Buth then, although I found the movie watchable enough, I didn't think it was particularly good.

But why are people who liked the joke from Whedon up in arms when Abridged Script varies the same joke?

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  2. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ You don't MST3K films that are both good and don't take themselves seriously. There's just no material to work with and it comes across as desperate.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I loved the movie but also enjoyed the Abridged Script because I referred to Cap's costume as a "blue spandex hoodie" to my friend after we first saw it and he laughed and agreed. (We thought the costume worked fine without the hood.)

I enjoyed the Abridged Script which was written with a degree or two of humor to it and not the maliciousness that usually goes with the scripts towards far, far worse movies. I also look forward to what "How It Should Have Ended" does with the move.

Some of the men behind MST3K disagree.

4. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"I like that the thing that your aircraft land on is also an aircraft. You ever consider giving your pilots jet packs, too?"

:rommie:

5. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yo, dawg...

6. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fair enough. I just don't see any humour in making fun of a film that's already silly. Now making fun of a movie that takes itself too seriously, whether it's good or bad, can be comedy gold.

7. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Us vs. Them mentality.

8. Trekker4747

A surprise to absolutely no one. The Avengers keeps its reign at the top of the Domestic Box Office charts taking in an estimated $55m this weekend, a 46% drop from last weekend. Battleship brought in an estimated $25m, The Dictator $17m and Dark Shadows $12m. Avengers was also in 100 fewer theaters than it was the previous two weeks.

9. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

By the end of today, The Avengers will have surpassed the original Star Wars to enter the top 5 in all-time domestic box office. The Phantom Menace may fall as soon as the end of business tomorrow, raising The Avengers to 4th place. In terms of worldwide box office, it's already 4th all-time!

10. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I thought this was great

[​IMG]

11. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, it is! You're not wrong about that! :techman:

12. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Tineye gives a great match between the two pictures using the swap feature. The Avengers are literally super-imposed into the original.

13. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

I'm wondering if the Guardians of the Galaxy might make a appearance in Avengers 2 or 3. Since we are heading to more 'Cosmic' enemies

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

There have been rumors that they might get their own movie.

15. IcecreamLtDan

IcecreamLtDan Captain Captain

Wife and I finally got to see this movie tonight and it was well worth the money. We both really enjoyed it, but I did have some minor issues so I gave it an A-. I've stayed out of this thread for the most part so as to not be spoiled so I imagine others have mentioned the same issues that I will.

The movie did seem to drag a bit in the middle, I have to wonder if some of that was really needed, but it wasn't that big of a deal. I noticed others had mentioned the movies score. While I don't dislike it at all, it is rather forgettable and not one that will stick with me.

It took me just a second to recognize Harry Dean Stanton, but when he asked Banner "Are you an alien?", I had to laugh, rather ironic with Prometheus getting ready to be released soon. I almost wonder if there wasn't something to that, it would've been even more ironic if once Banner answered he replied "Riiiiight". I understand that the BD release will have some extended scenes with him in it so it may happen, who knows.

Speaking of Bruce Banner, why exactly did he willingly return right at the beginning of the alien attack? Not sure I bought into that one completely. Speaking of that, I found the solution to be a bit of a Deus Ex Machina. You mean the aliens themselves just died once the ship was destroyed? Oh, and why did Shellheads suit shut down there too? I mean, I get loosing the cellphone signal, but wouldn't Tony's implant keep the suit itself powered?

Other than those points I really enjoyed it, I hated the death of a certain agent, but it is Joss Whedon so I wasn't too surprised it happened and I guess it had to happen to somebody. I'm not sure the whole thing with Fury tossing the trading cards at Cap was really necessary. I kinda felt that the motivation was already there without that scene.

Can't wait to see where this whole thing goes from here. We stayed for both the mid and ending credits scene. I know nothing about the individual in the mid credits scene other than his name and a few basic facts I picked up on the interwebs about him. The ending scene was great, some in the theater wondered why there was no dialog, but I liked that part about it. I mean, here's the group who's just been through heck and are exhausted both physically and mentally. All they wanted was some peace and quiet, oh, and some food.

16. Trekker4747

I honestly didn't notice the score other than maybe the various "hero themes" (in particular the one played over the beginning of the end credits.) I did like the classical music scene that was intercut between the party in Germany, Hawkeye setting up their attack and the plane in the sky. Something about the way that was all made felt "Whedon-y."

I suspect it's on the cutting-room floor but I'd guess his converstion(s) with Tony resonated with him and when he saw what was going on in the news he may have felt he could be of help.

I suggested above that the alien soldiers may have been given an implant in them that causes them to die should they lose communication with the ship. (Thus to deter rogue soldiers and prevent prisoners from being taken by enemies.)

Shellhead?

You mean Iron Man?

I'm not sure what happened there either with the suit powering down (more particularly Tony's chest arc-reactor shutting down). The suit is obviously pressurized since he can use it underwater and at altitudes. I could maybe see the suit shutting down/losing its contact with Jarvis is Jarvis is an AI that's centered at Stark HQ or more likely his home and the suit is nothing but a "dumb terminal" for Jarvis and actually doesn't contain him. But his arc-reactor should have kept running regardless of what the suit was doing unless when he's wearing the suit the two are so interconnected one cannot survive without the other.

That or Tony simply exhausted the power output of his chest arc-reactor during the attack and then catching and moving the missile. Which is sort of another thing, in IM we see that the Iron Man suit is super-sonic yet in this movie it seems like Tony struggles to move fast in it. If the suit is super-sonic catching up to the missile shouldn't be too hard and quickly moving the rotor in the Hellicarrier engine shouldn't have been hard either (nor should it have overtaken him causing a danger.)

17. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm of the opinion that he had a personal score to settle with Loki(which he did) for manipulating him into the Hulk on the Helicarrier. You can clearly see the contrast of Banner in control of Hulk vs Hulk being controlled in this film.

Pixar's take on The Avengers.

18. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

"Shellhead" is one of Iron Man's nicknames in the comics.

Basically, Stan Lee used that same "X-head" format for every other superhero in the 1960s comics: "Webhead", "Shellhead", "Hornhead" (Daredevil), "Winghead" (Captain America), etc. Some stuck more than others.

19. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nuclear weapons sometimes generate electromagnetic pulses that shut down electronics. I just assume that's the issue.

20. Trekker4747

Ah, true, didn't consider the EMP. (Though it didn't seem to permanently disable Tony's chest arc-reactor.)

Oh, and tsk. tsk. Joss. You got lauded and praised so much for the "no sound in space" thing in Firefly but here you not only had sound in space but you also had the time delayof sound in space since we see the "flash" of the nuke's explosion and then a second or two later we hear the explosion.