STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Yes it's not too good. I think this means $250+ is definitely not happening. Range ATM is between 225-250imo

2. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

ST09 had a third weekend of 22.9m, which was the weekend of Memorial Day. Including Memorial Day it raked in 29.3, down 31.7% and was going up against Terminator Salvation and Night at the Museum's opening weekend.

3. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

I think 225 is the top of the range now.

4. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

As of 26th May (after three weeks in distribution) STID had 1.176.491 sold tickets here in Germany. ST had 1.272.813 in it entire run in 2009.

FF6 has already sold 1.216.464 tickets after one week, and IM3 1.764.831 after four weeks.

5. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

[​IMG]

STID Domestic Total as of Wednesday: $164,756,486
    ST09 Domestic Total as of Day 15: $161,634,019

6. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

STiD is doing great in foreign markets. Domestic is a rollercoaster ride.

Looks like big drops for almost all of the holdovers this weekend. Audiences sometimes take a bit of a breather the weekend after Memorial Day weekend and this time they're taking a bigger breather than usual.

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Part of it could be attributed to the wild weather we're having this week.

8. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

^^^
    Could be, yeah.

Official Friday estimate for STiD: $4.436 million.

9. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I wouldn't put 250m+ out of the realms of possibility but its looking closer to 225m now.

10. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Also read that there's "finally" some targeted advertising to neutral moviegoers to draw them into Star Trek. Next weekend could still be okay given the flop that is After Earth...

11. Flake

Well lets set the target at $230m. Anything more than that is excellent but overall it is definitely a disappointment. It's a good job overseas has improved enough to more than make up for the North American markets' poor showing.

I think creatively they should do it different next time and try to come across as more of a fun adventure rather than dealing with the darkness of war, conspiracy and terrorism. Doing that may bring in more families that might have been put off by the darkness this time round. More of the Nibiru type stuff rather than someone murdering people at a meeting and making a father kill himself and others etc etc. IMO

12. Flake

Star Trek into darkness made almost $7m dollars on Saturday in China !!!!!

13. Roald

Roald Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed. The funny thing is, -no pun intended-, that there IS a lot of fun adventure in this film! Raiders Of The Lost Ark also had dark themes and images, but you're right, there was never an emphasis on that in the marketing. Raiders was presented as a big, wild, fun thrill ride, but one could definatley make a very scary, eerie, DARK trailer of Raiders. And I think that's what happened to STID... Maybe JJ/ Paramount/ whoever thought that capitalizing on the success of The Dark Knight would be the best way to go marketing wise, but I think it really backfired.

Man, that first teaser poster... I thought it was cool, I still think it is... But it's a guy standing in a destroyed city, burning in flames... And that darn title... In a way, it's such a cool title, but after seeing the film, it doesn't fit at all... There was probably a much better, catchier title out there...

14. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

It could possibly do more OS than DOM if it continues to make impressive gains on 09 in the other territories. That's a plus point, Paramount will probably try to figure out what went wrong domestically as no one really knows, though I suppose its possible its hit the ceiling. I've said for a while it's possible Trek will benefit from new Star Wars movies too.

15. Flake

Agreed about Raiders of the Lost Ark. Between the writers, director and the marketing people they need to make and market the next movie as a fun adventure rather than a journey "into darkness" if they want to get more of the critical under-25s into the theatre because it is a big demographic to miss out on. I have started to believe that the reason that demographic is down on ST09 is indeed because of the emphasis on darkness and revenge and terrorism in the trailers and title of STiD that has made families and kids skip it. I think ST09 got the balance right and STID went too far over to the 'Dark side'

16. Flake

This does pose a problem with how they approach the next movie. They placed heavy emphasis on the action and the bad guy in the overseas marketing so the question is do they do this again to get more OS at the possible expense of less DOM?

Maybe what gets more overseas people into the theatre is actually a turn off for domestic fans?

17. Flake

http://www.boxoffice.com/statistics/bo_numbers/early_estimate/2013-06-01

Early estimate for this weekend is $15.6m a huge 58% drop. This is the first awful number for STID and really puts the brakes on the box office. It will definitely not get anywhere near the $257m of ST09 and might fall up to $35m short! It is a disappointment when the increased ticket prices of 4yrs of inflation and the added 3D premium is taken into account. Millions of people who watched ST09 did not come back to STID.

The is still a chance for a slightly higher number if Saturday overperforms.. Fingers crossed.

18. JamesRye

JamesRye Captain Captain

Wow! is that figure of $7m for Friday in China correct? $7 million just on one day.:cool:

Paramount are going to be over the moon - clearly China is going to be as big a market as the US in the future.

$7 million in one day (shakes head). Does anyone have any predictions for the total China gross? Surely it's gotta be $50 million +

Hopefully the final figures are saved by the rest of the world. If it can top out with anything higher than $400 million then that is a big success.

I actually think that they should have called it Star Trek into the Light, or Star Trek out of darkness or for a bit of cheesy fun:

Maybe the next one should be:

Star Trek to strange, new worlds

19. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Star Trek hit the domestic 230 million mark after being in distribution for over a month and the 250 million after over two months.

Suggestion: Give STID at least that much time before declaring it a failure or disappointment.

20. Flake

I think so, yes. According to: This Post on boxoffice.com

It made 42m Chinese Yuan which is $6.84m dollars and that same poster believes Star Trek will get to over $50m in China.

If you use google chrome you can translate this page: http://movie.mtime.com/106291/ which is a China IMDB like website and the natives have rated it 8.4/10 which is higher than Iron Man 3 @ 7.7/10 so it seems to be going down quite well.

China will be the biggest box office market in a decade and I suspect many co-productions and many more Chinese-centric movies will be the result. For example, a future Star Trek movie might choose to centre an Earthbound story on Shanghai instead of San Francisco etc..