Has no one mentioned "Unexpected Honor" by Christine Thompson?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Therin of Andor, May 20, 2012.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

If it's presented as actual narrative fiction, then that wouldn't cut it. There would need to be a license granted for it.

2. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Bookstores. I remember those with great fondess... :(

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  3. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Well, I used to pick it up at my local Blockbuster Video, but . . . . .

4. Mr. Domino

Mr. Domino Lieutenant Red Shirt

It is definitely presented as such. There's a large yellow circle proclaiming it as "original fiction" on the first page of the story.

5. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh thank the Prophets (or Profits if you're Ferengi), was a bit worried there was more undead since the comics had a zombie crossover theme a while back.

Why would we follow thw authors on facebook when we can follow/stalk them here? Besides, I thought facebook was only a fad that isn't going to last, like that horseless carrage or personal computer thingie.

6. CaptainDonovin

It was an interresting twist, would make a good start to something longer. I do like the fact that a non-human is in the center seat, I guess you could say again since Data apparently was captain for a spell.

7. Mr. Domino

Mr. Domino Lieutenant Red Shirt

So far, Shon has been one of the only worthwhile characters to come out of STO, so I'd like to see more fiction featuring him and the crew of the Enterprise-F - however, while Thompson's short story was alright, and there was the occasional well-written mission in STO, the majority of the writing in that game has been bunk, and so I'd prefer it if the novelverse writers were allowed in a bit.

8. CaptainDonovin

I haven't played or read any stories from STO other than the novel tha came out. Don't have the time to play it nor a fast enough computer.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just read the story earlier today. It was pretty good, and I would certainly love to see a follow up to the last line in the story.

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed the STO novel "The Needs of the Many", and I may be interested in a collected volume of short stories set in the STO universe.

Hint, hint.

BTW, what happened to the Enterprise-E? Is that detailed in the story? Bumping off an Enterprise is a pretty big deal - IIRC, the only book to have done so yet was "The Ashes of Eden" with the 1701-A.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, the majority of the story is Data and Shan (or Shon, I can't remember for sure and don't want to get up to check) discussing the captaincy of the new Enterprise-F.

12. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Don't get up, just click back to the beginning of the thread.

Captain Va'kel Shon.

13. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I nearly purchased it today but the magazine was £5 (about as much as I pay for paperbacks off Amazon) and it looked like the story was only a couple of pages long once the pictures are allowed for.

14. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

I stopped buying the magazine a few years ago as I felt it wasn't value for money.

15. Therin of Andor

That's why it's called a short story. :vulcan:

There are lots of other interesting articles in the magazine. Since the demise of "Starlog", it's the one magazine I buy regularly.

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, that's not really fair, since short stories can be anything up to 7500 words. The articles I've written for Star Trek Magazine have tended to be more around 800-1500 words, so if this story is anything like the same page count as those, then it would be pretty short even for a "short story." (Short stories under 2000 words are sometimes called "short-shorts," while stories with word counts in the hundreds are known as "flash fiction" these days.)

17. Therin of Andor

Gosh, I wasn't trying to be that... precise. Kind of why I chose :vulcan:.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

According to 8 of 5's blog there was another original short story by Christine Thompson in the newest issue of the magazine. My subscription ran out, so I won't be reading this one sadly.

19. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Don't they sell magazines in shops in your neck of the woods?

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, but money's tight and there's a lot of other stuff out that I'd rather buy.