Reap The Whirlwind - Trade Paperback?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Mysterio, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Mysterio

Mysterio Lieutenant Red Shirt

I noticed that Reap The Whirlwind is being re-released in September as a trade paperback. Does anyone know why this specific book is not being released as a mass market paperback. It's the only Vanguard book released in this format and being listed at $24!

2. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Did they say this was an amazon mistake? I think I head that at Shore Leave. Could be wrong though.

3. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

^ That's an Amazon.com error. Ignore it. Sadly, Reap the Whirlwind remains stubbornly out of print in paperback, and is likely to remain so.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's also on Simon and Schuster, along with a bunch of other older Trek books.

5. David Mack

^ It's still not actually happening, as far as I know. Believe me, I wish it were.

6. kkozoriz1

kkozoriz1 Fleet Captain

Part of the problem in going to the connected story format is that earlier books may not be in print thus preventing someone from picking up the other books in the series. It's similar to the arc based storytelling of B5 or NuBSG, You may be able to miss an episode here or there but if you don't see specific episodes you may not want or be able to follow it. Hopefully with e-books fewer books will be out of print. It's very early in the time of e-books. Nothing is guaranteed.

7. Srian

Srian Ensign Newbie

Which is just sooo wrong as it is the best Star Trek book ever!

8. Julio Angel Ortiz

Julio Angel Ortiz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why is that?

9. David Mack

^ It's a long story, and even I don't understand why it can't be fixed. It has something to do with an error regarding either the book's ISBN number or a glitch in the S&S reordering system for retailers. Either way, retailers' requests for the book were not filled, the warehoused copies are gone, and no more are being printed, despite demand and the fact that it's part of an ongoing series.

10. rafterman1701

rafterman1701 Commodore Commodore

Sad, dude. At least the ebooks can't go out of print, right?

11. garoo1980

garoo1980 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm no expert but I think 99% of the reasons a book would be out of print don't apply to ebooks, but a ISBN screw up like that would probably stop ebooks too

12. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

^ Well it hasn't - you go to amazon, you search for it, the Kindle version is right there and easy to buy.

13. SEW

SEW Lieutenant Red Shirt

Perhaps it's time for a Vanguard omnibus in trade paperback collecting the first three novels?

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know why, but I was just on S&S the other day, and they added a bunch more listings for old books as TPBs. Does anyone have any idea why they keep doing this?

15. Psi'a Meese

Psi'a Meese Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Now that I'm reading the series - from start to finish - I'm almost ready for this one. I guess I was hopeful something would change at the publisher. So that I could avoid the e-book. In the meantime, I'm stalking used bookstores (who are drying up in this economy).

I assume any publisher can get around any ISBN problems. That is if they want to. I was wondering if the Vanguard series is considered complete with Precipice? If not, would it not make sense for the publisher to want to re-issue the above suggested omnibus upon release of book 6?

Who might a reader write a polite letter to encourage the process?

16. kkozoriz1

kkozoriz1 Fleet Captain

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, there are at least two more installments coming, both in 2011: the anthology Vanguard Declassified and a Ward-Dilmore novel whose title has yet to be announced.