New Star Wars animated show "Rebels" coming fall 2014

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Booji, May 20, 2013.

1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I can see her possibly showing up in one of the spinoff films. The ones involving either Boba Fett or Han Solo most likely.

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    If Mara shows up in the Sequel Trilogy that's fine. I kind of half-expect her to appear anyways even if her original EU backstory and history are rewritten so that she's no longer the future wife of Luke and mother of their son. When it comes to non-movie characters in the Lucas universe, very few over the decades have had the name recognition of Mara Jade.

3. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Well just looking at it logically, if her backstory is roughly along the same lines as it was in the EU, then what else would she be doing around this time other than being an agent of the Emperor? She'd be young, but that's never been an obstacle to trained force users before. Indeed, she'd be more or less the age Ahsoka was in TCW and she helf the rank of Commander.

Indeed, in this case youth could be a good cover for her true purpose. I mean what corrupt Moff is going to suspect that the young Lieutenant fresh out of the Academy is actually a lethal agent of the Emperor sent to kill him?

So yeah, she'd be a perfect fit for this new show, even if it's just a one-off appearance later on down the line.

Of course there's no gurentee they'd use her at all, but as been pointed out innumerable times since the EU was "decanonised", if *any* EU character is well known or popular enough to make it into official continuity in some form or another, it'd be Mara Jade.

4. davejames

Yeah but the question is would fans really be interested in seeing a young Mara Jade? I've always thought most of her appeal lay on her being a bit more, um... older and sexier than that. :)

5. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i tried to read the first book in the Legacy of the Force series about a year ago. i just couldn't get into it. are there any solo Mara Jade novels?

6. Masiral

Masiral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nothing completely solo, but the novel Allegiance majorly features her.

7. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    The Lucas universe has a longstanding tradition of exploring popular characters when they were much, much younger. Boba Fett. Obi-Wan. To a relatively lesser extent due to his long lifespan, Yoda. And, of course, the king of all the "here's what they were like long before you saw them the first time" characters: Anakin Skywalker.

Mara could appear in Rebels and it wouldn't set any kind of precedent in any way except that it wouldn't be a character we'd ever seen on the big screen.

8. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

No her appeal has been that she's a strong, three dimensional female character with an interesting backstory. Her physical attributes are neigh irrelevant given that aside from the odd appearance, she's almost exclusively a literary character.

9. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm sure people never read things because they think they're sexy..... :p

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Hence the abject failure of 50 Shades of Grey :lol:

But yeah, Star Wars is a very sex-less universe (that's not a complaint). I loved Mara because she was a tough as nails bad ass who went from being slightly evil to Luke's wife. I loved her antagonistic relationship with Luke in the Zahn Trilogy, and the nature of their marriage in the final books. Sure it's hot that she's a red head but that's not something that comes up often in the prose :p

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

And in the broader Lucas multiverse, Indiana Jones. For that matter, the Droids and Ewoks cartoons were prequels to the movies, and the two Ewok TV movies were set before ROTJ.

12. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

So, to support the idea of a young Mara in Rebels, people are bringing up Droids, the Ewoks cartoon and specials, and Young Indiana Jones :cardie: Well, I can't really say anything, because those are all excellent reasons to not have young Mara Jade in Rebels :lol:

This x1000. She's a great character, the attractiveness of the character means nothing to me as a huge fan of Mara.

13. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Well it's just citing a precedent, not a quality comparison.
    If you must have an example of this executed well, then there's young Boba's appearance on TCW with Aurra and
    Hondo, or the Chewbacca episode.

OK, so exactly what is your objection to her showing up if there's a good story involved? She's just as interesting as an Imperial operative as she was as a smuggler kingpin's lieutenant, or a Jedi Master.

14. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

15. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Because she was never a Sith or Dark Jedi. In fact, she was explicitly said to have never been either of those things. She did evil things as the emperor's hand, but was never a dark side force user. So, reading this

is basically saying she should be introduced, but forgetting a big part of her backstory. Heck, even as the emperor's hand, I don't think she even showed more force aptitude as your average padawan. She was skilled, but a lot of her skills weren't force oriented, and when they were it was mostly neutral force stuff, no lightning or darkside stuff. I can remember some levitation, and of course she had her highly developed danger sense, but even when she first met Luke she was less skilled in the force than he was (in the two Timothy Zahn books set a few years before the death of the emperor, but while she was definitely an adult, she was skilled but probably not jedi level). If she was the apprentice to an inquisitor, she would be basically a dark jedi, which basically makes her irredeemable and totally screws up the character. Plus, Palpatine was her only master, he gave her every one of her orders, and almost no one knew her, so that's another thing removed from the character.

Plus, she was born 17 years before the battle of yavin, she's actually younger than Luke. So, a 12 year old dark jedi apprentice Mara Jade is not something I want. Even if they fudged the ages, and didn't make her a dark jedi, if they aren't going to leave her fairly intact I don't want to see her at all. If they did bring her back and ruin her, I'd ignore it like I ignore TCW mandalorians. Best case scenario at this point is probably either she never comes back, or she comes back in the books and stays there. That way, the people behind the TV shows and movies can't ruin her (and they are the most likely to do that), and the book authors might be able to make her introduction something that I can at least not hate. She;s one of my favorite SW characters (I like her more than even the main trio), so I'd rather just not have her get screwed over by some idiot writing the spunky kid based SW cartoon. Rebels is not the place for her, and honestly the new SW Universe is probably not the place for her anymore. Still, if she was in a book, I'd give it a shot, but Rebels is probably where the worse case scenario of her getting ruined is most likely to happen, mostly because they don't give a c%$p and would only be using her name for recognition on some stupid character they want people to be interested in.

16. davejames

17. Masiral

Masiral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

She was personally trained in the ways of the Force by Emperor Palpatine - she was absolutely a Dark Jedi, just like Asajj Ventress and the rest of the Emperor's Hands. One doesn't have to shoot lightning out of their fingertips to be a Dark Jedi. Being a Dark Jedi does not make her "irredeemable" - Kyp Durron, Kam Solusar, Jaina Solo, and Tahiri Veila all fell to the dark side and were redeemed - and Kyp blew up an entire star system, so working for an Inquisitor would not destroy Mara's character.

ETA: I will agree with you that she's a bit young to appear in Rebels, for now. But assuming they move forward in the timeline, she could be introduced later when she is 14-15 or so.

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Actually I didn't like the clip much. Too much of it was exactly like a certain 1977 movie, particularly the constant direct quotes in the music. I would've liked it if The Clone Wars had used more of Williams's themes, but this much direct imitation of old cues, especially in concert with direct imitation of the shots they accompanied, is taking it too far in the other direction. I hope the whole score isn't so imitative.

And I didn't find the scene very funny, and the droid still annoys me, especially the voice, which sounds like somebody going "wah-wah-wah" through a ring modulator. At least R2's bleeps are complicated enough to believe there's a real language there. Chopper's sounds are about as complex as Morse code, and I can't believe they could convey that much in the way of linguistic information. Plus they're just irritating. Although I did kind of like the bit where the droid took matters into its own hands to deal with the last fighter.

19. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Plus, it's already established as part of her backstory. She an Emperor's Hand, trained to use her force abilities though not fully initiated as a Sith. The only difference between her and this new Inquisitor character is that she was by and large meant to be invisible, while he is clearly meant to be a very visible extension of the Emperor's power meant to intimidate even among the ranks of his own hierarchy.

Hell, in the EU, Mara was sent to kill Skywalker *after* he'd already managed to survive a duel with a full Sith Lord. Clearly she was expected to be able to handle at least a partially trained Jedi.

As for her age, as I already mentioned, she'd be roughly the same age as Ahsoka was during TCW. Does anyone here think for a second that Palpatine would baulk at sending out a child assassin? No doubt he didn't wait until Maul was 18 before assigning him his first kill. Plus, again, a child is a perfect cover for certain missions.

20. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain