You have survived 10 years without the Prime Universe

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by thumbtack, May 13, 2015.

1. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

May 13, 2005 - May 13, 2015

and you're doing much better than you thought you would.

2. Tim Walker

Tim Walker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I survived 18 years without the Prime universe, between TOS and TNG.

3. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

But I just watched an episode of TOS yesterday, and an episode of TNG the day before that--both were on cable stations. The SyFy channel played two TOS movies last week...
    :confused:

4. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

I make my own Prime based materials using miniatures and FASA's rules. Soon we may add Nu-based materials via Axanar to the table top. If we can ever find a way to have minitures crafted inthe right scale.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I've read numerous (primarily TOS) Prime Universe novels over the last ten years. Plus, segments of Star Trek (2009) take place in the Prime Universe.

6. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've frequented this board every day and enjoyed numerous Prime Universe discussions.

In contrast, I've visited the Nu Universe twice. Once for each film. My ST09 Blu Ray is still shrink wrapped.

7. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

For some of us, the Prime Universe retired gracefully in 1982, and all the fan wars and arguments that followed since then have just been imaginary. ;)

Kor

8. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

Everything grows old. Everything dies. Life in a nutshell

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Heck, I've spent the past 11 years writing novels set in the Prime Universe. So I sure haven't been without it.

10. Tiger Devil Dog

Tiger Devil Dog Captain Captain

I didn't see my first episode of star trek until about 2 years ago.

11. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Do tell. I love the FASA stuff and am always happy to meet a fellow fan.

--Alex

12. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I was writing one today . . .

13. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

The events seen in Enterprise are also part of the JJverse. At least this part of the prime universe still exists.

14. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I survived 15 years before the Prime Universe ever existed. Unless we count Forbidden Planet, in which case only 5 years.

15. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

Actually, there's this thing called re-viewing, which has allowed the Prime Universe to not have ended. And then there's imagination.

JJverse has been a fart in the wind.

16. Nebusj

Nebusj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Heck, I still haven't seen any of it. Anyone know whether there's an episode that's good?

17. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

Ten years? It's more like thirteen.

18. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Nor has anyone who's been reading the novels. The Prime Universe hasn't gone anywhere, nor is it likely to in the near future. There will always be more stories to write and new ideas to explore. Even in Kirk's time, there's still that huge gap between TMP and TWOK to play with (not that I need to tell you, Christopher, as that's your era), as well as the years between TFF and TUC that Greg Cox has been exploring lately.

People are free to think what they want, but I actually think the Prime Universe has gotten more interesting now that it's off television; the novels have given me a new appreciation for the Star Trek universe beyond the TV series, which probably wouldn't be the case if a series were currently airing.

--Sran

19. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Mostly just space combat. A little Four Years War era stuff. Lasers and Phasers. Another battle around the events at Organia mixing Star Fleet Battles with FASA (for use of a Dreadnought).

And at least one post-TUC era battle with the Mirror Universe that was made up entirely because a friend got a miniature that was damaged in to look like USS Constellation. I based the Mirror Universe incursion on the old DC Comics version from between Star Trek III and IV. Also to see the look on another friends face when he spotted the six cloaked Loknars tracking the Prime Universe Romulans attacking the crippled Starfleet ship under tow from some more Starfleet ships, then being fire on by a supposedly friendly Reliant-class vessel towing the crippled ship. More specifically, he was sure the Loknars had been captured by the Romulans and fitted to use against the Federation, until I specifically told him one of his cruisers was hit by a FP-4 torpedo. "What? Where that come from?" The ISS Reliant. "What!?" Under Commadore Terrell of the Terran Empire.

He did know something was up because I told him USS Excelsior was coming under Captain Sulu. And in FASA, you only bring out Excelsior if you have something major going on. As Excelsior is seriously over powered. In this case, ISS Excelsior. (I wanted to use the Enterprise-B verse Excelsior but we couldn't get a model of both it and Excelsior that were in the same scale with each other in time).

Since I was basing it off the DC Comic version, I just used the rules to fit all the Mirror Universe ships with transwarp drives. They didn't go to transwarp speeds, but they just jump universes. The extra power was good for the Loknars.

They also had a Phase II Constitution that someone made for us. Used it as the Constitution-class Mark IV USS Hornet...or ISS Hornet really. The crippled Constitution was the last of the Mark III types, USS Ark Royal.

20. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I watch TOS or one of the other series almost every night, so the Prime Universe has never really left yet.