Majel Barrett-Roddenberry To Play Computer Voice

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by mr.peany, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well to be fair, I am not sure if even 30% of the mainstream public would know who she is. That isn't to say she is unheard of either, but because she was such a phenomenal figure in Star Trek, and being the wife of the creator, it was reported the way it was. I'm all the time seeing people being mentioned who passed away that I have never even heard of (but had some importance somewhere,) and it is a news item to post on those websites afterall.

2. darkshadow0001

darkshadow0001 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're right about not mentioning JJ Abrams at all, but the intent was there plain and clear. I was just simply stating that if Trek continued in the universe that we know, a dedication would probably be more then likely. I'm not discrediting the poster or JJ Abrams in anyway. I think everyone here takes things way too seriously... Take a chill pill.

3. Tactical Drone

Tactical Drone Captain Captain

wow, the irony of such posts of "she won't be around forever" and "she's kinda an annoying bitch, naturally I want her to suffer" really hits home now that she truly is gone. I will miss her. Any future post Star Trek computer voices won't be the same :(

4. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

post deleted

5. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, my timing probably could have been better on that. I don't take it back though, because I meant it at the time, and to retract it now would be disingenuous. (I'll never make a good politician.)

But I hope it goes without saying that I didn't wish her dead. (Although around here, you never know.)

And I hope we can leave it at that, for now, so people can pay their respects without too many distractions.

6. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

My comment that "she won't be around forever" wasn't meant to wish ill on anyone...only to observe that ANY cast member's life is finite and the older we are the closer we get to that ultimate reward.

Sadly, future scripts will have to be written around the hundreds of hours of materials Majel has already recorded...unless it's vital to the story the computer say something more, then either a soundalike will be required or a complete recasting of the voice will have to happen.

Wish I'd been wrong and she was with us another decade or more. :(

7. Captain59

Captain59 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Connecticut - Home of the Hartford Whalers
    Majel as computer voice?

I've read conflicting reports...did she record her lines before she died?

8. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

9. Captain59

Captain59 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Connecticut - Home of the Hartford Whalers
    Re: Majel as computer voice?

Good, I'm glad to hear that. The Shat said she didn't in his reaction to her passing, so I'm glas he's wrong.

Great avatar, btw. I'd do anything to sit on Penny's lap and tell her what I wanted. :drool:

10. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

I loved Majel's voice for the computers, but I almost wish that she hadn't completed her part - a new voice that could be consistent in the new movies wouldn't be bad. But, maybe they have enough samples to work with to use Majel's voice anyway - if they have the rights.

SalvorHardin: I agree with Captain59. Great avatar. Also, great user name, and location. (I'm a big Asimov fan.) Hell, just sign me up for your newsletter. :techman:

Captain59: Dood! I didn't even realize Kellie Waymire had passed on until I saw your sig. I kinda lost track of her after that animated series she did after leaving Enterprise. That sucks. :(

11. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

She did complete them, yes, and discussion was happening in this thread. Hang on and I will merge this with that...