Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Guess that means they've fixed snow! Yay!

2. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The hell with wolves.These seem much more useful. That texture is bloody awful though.

3. Robert Maxwell

Wolves were a nice idea that was never fully developed. If we're going to have "companion" mobs, it would be nice if we could do things like give them orders. I would love the option of being able to set "waypoints" for a pack of wolves to patrol outside my house, killing anything that gets near. Mechanics like that would go a long way toward improving the game, I think.

While I get that Mojang doesn't want to screw up the balance of the game, I think there should be rewards for playing well and accomplishing feats like taming a pack of wolves. Especially if there are going to be boss mobs and other things to ramp up the difficulty, there should also be ways to expand your arsenal beyond swords, arrows, and the rather stupid wolves.

Hell, why not have different kinds of arrows? Poison arrows, flaming arrows, water arrows, etc. (I know you can make a flaming arrow by shooting through lava, but that's not quite the same.)

4. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just want better path-finding for wolves so they stop killing themselves in stupid ways. My wolf has been sitting in my house since 1.4, the last time it stood up was when a ninja spider attacked me in a tunnel.

I agree. I get what he's going for, but the asymmetry looks amateurish in a bad way.

Notch has said that they're hoping to release 1.8.2 tomorrow, which would normally just contain bug-fixes, but Jeb has hinted that two new Nether mobs will be included. No hint what they are yet.

5. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  6. Robert Maxwell

That's an amusing notion. :lol:

7. Owain Taggart

And from Notch's Twitter:

8. Robert Maxwell

No complaints here. :lol:

9. Owain Taggart

Yeah, it's probably the most sensible thing he's done in awhile :lol:

10. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

I liked the idea. It was as evil as Creepers are, less destructive but more insidious.

11. TheGodBen

But creepers only explode as a consequence of interacting with you, if you keep your distance then they can't interfere with the landscape or your creations. Endermen mess with blocks even when you're nowhere near them. If a creeper blows up part of my wall then I can accept that because it's partially my fault. If Endermen could only move blocks after you've "triggered" them then that would be much better.

12. Owain Taggart

Yeah, exactly. It's in the long-term that endermen are more destructive. They take away blocks even when you're not there, whereas Creepers only get triggered into their effect when you're near them, making them exactly like griefers. I think Notch meant it for it to be a playful idea, but didn't realize the kind of damage they could do if left to their own devices. It's said that the endermen we got are very different than what was first proposed, as originally they couldn't touch player-placed blocks, and seeing that they're buggy, I wonder if it's because some of the things about them weren't fully implemented.

13. Peak

Peak Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The biggest problem (I think) with Endermen is that they screw up adventure maps. Was thinking about continuing with Sunburn Island with a mod that deactivated the Enderman block pickup. Hope that the Enderman-nerfing is in this next update.

14. Robert Maxwell

Had my first tangle with Endermen tonight. Interesting experience. I found them easier to kill than skeletons and creepers, even with melee attacks.

I must also give props to the dev team for the new lightning model. I love how the day/night transitions are now seamless and you don't have to watch things get darker/brighter chunk by chunk anymore.

15. Cutter John

Meh. I still don't see what all the fuss is about. "OMG, AN ENDERMAN MOVED A PIECE OF MY FRONT PORCH!" *RAGE!* Big deal. If they travelled in packs I could see the problem, but...

I think they're kinda boring to be honest, and easy to avoid. Personally I'd give them a buff so that they can kill you in one or two hits. Inspire creeper level fear in players.

16. TheGodBen

They're very annoying if you have complicated redstone contraptions as they can break a circuit by picking up the block with redstone on it. They break mob grinders very quickly by making holes in the walls or redirecting water flow. They also have a habit of picking the middle block in a tree trunk, which makes forests look ugly.

Last week, I was sailing through an area I had only been to a handful of times in the past when I noticed sand collapsing on a nearby beach. I was confused at first, but when I approached the area I heard zombie damage noises so I assumed that it was an enderman after causing a cave-in on himself. At first I thought it was funny, then I realised that at any one time there's probably 15-20 endermen down in the cave systems moving blocks and disturbing things. I don't know why, but I just don't like that thought and I don't feel like playing the game again until this is nerfed, hopefully in the patch tomorrow.

17. Kimi3013

Kimi3013 Captain Captain

See, you'll think that until something like what happened to me, happens to you.

In my single player world I've got an extensive mine cart station set up take will take me all over my map, the workings for this are all hidden underground (lots and lots of redstone and tracks going on). As it happened, when I was landscaping my gardens, a lake ended up being on top of where the works for the mine carts is. This isn't a problem at all normally, but there's a few places where there's just 1 block between the workings and the water (you can see where this is going...).

The space where the workings are used to be a sand pit that I dug out, so I walled up bits of the sides to neaten it up once I was done setting it all up. Everything inside is lit up, except those little pockets behind the walls. An enderman must have spawned in there at some point, and got out into the redstone. Then water happened at the system and destroyed it.

I only find out about this when try and go somewhere and the card doesn't arrive. No idea when it happened, but looking at the total of 4 blocks out of place it's obvious how it happened. I'm not an idiot, so I was able to find a backup that had the place intact from before the patch. But if this was on a multiplayer server I'd be insanely pissed off.

The idea of the ender men is really cool, but they're little more than griefers in practice.

EDIT: Didn't see your post before I posted. Yeah, groups of them can really the mess places up. On my multiplayer server we've got a big mansion project going (with hidden doors, electric lighting, running water, stuff like that). They're really messing it up. Not too much, but enough to annoy people. Server is set to peaceful for now as getting a group of them would terrible in there.

18. Cutter John

Aww, oh well. Guess I'm just going to be in the minority on this one. I still think they're going to be pretty darn useless and boring without the feature.

Setting out torches seems to keep them away, just like the other mobs.

19. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

I was really interested in them being able to PLACE blocks, but so far that hasn't been that interesting. They just pick up a block, and drop it somewhere else. :/ I'd love to have mobs that actively build, and maybe have their own infinite supply of some simple blocks, like wood and brick?

20. Robert Maxwell

That would be a cool feature for NPC villages, maybe. Makes sense for the NPCs to do things like that.