Which movie would you use to introduce someone with Star Trek?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Mage, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

First off....

Let's NOT turn this into a bash Insurrection, or any other movie, topic. We have plenty of this, that's NOT what this about.

Now...

A while ago, my girlfriend wanted to introduce a friend of hers into Star Trek. This friend has seen the JJ Abrams movies, but was curious about the other movies aswell.
    My girlfriend has a fondness for Insurrection and thought it would be the perfect movie for this.
    However, she quickly noticed her friend wasn't into, and she realized herself it wasn't the best movie to use.

It made me wonder what I would choose.

Personally, I think either The Wrath Of Khan of First Contact would be the best choice. Although I feel both movies are more removed from what Star Trek is at its core, they are actionpacked, fun movies with witty dialogue and good editing and directing, meaning someone who isn't into Star Trek could still enjoy them, and perhaps become more curious about the entire thing.

What movie would you pick?

2. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Great topic!

I would start one of the TOS films--probably TWOK or TUC. Why these? They both feature cast members in their element--aboard the Enterprise and dealing with an impossible situation--and contain a nice mixture of drama, action, intrigue and characterization.

TVH would also be a reasonable choice, but it's a lighter film than the others and is hard to take seriously in parts. If you decide to start with the TNG films, I'd suggest First Contact.

--Sran

3. Mage

TUC, good choice! Perhaps my favorite TOS movie. I'm not to sure if the entire tension with the Klingons would be understandable enough without having seen some more TOS, but yeah, good choice.

4. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

TWOK - let them see what the JJ movies were based on

after that theyd probably want to see what happened next so itd be III, IV, VI... then GEN (to see what happens to Kirk & to introduce the TNG crew) and finish with FC

I wouldn't bother showing them the rest (maybe TMP if they were wanting to see the 1st film but youd have to explain its nothing like the others and more of a slow 2001 type serious SF film...plus maybe NEM if they were curious to see TNGs version of TWOK with Bane - but again theyd need to be forewarned:))

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  5. SimpleLogic

SimpleLogic Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Most everyone I know who aren't Star Trek fans will watch Star Trek 4, it is a lighthearted place to start.

6. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

For someone with zero knowledge of Trek it would be TWOK, it's pretty easy to fit the characters into typical story "slots."

Between them, Khan and Chekov make it clear who Khan is.

:)

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Depends on how old they are? If they're older, they'll likely pick up on the similarities to the old Soviet Union.

8. gottacook

gottacook Captain Captain

TWoK, in part because it's been the best-known Trek film for the longest period; even a casual reader of a review of the most recent JJTrek film would likely come across a reference to Khan. Even before Nemesis (the first of X number of films emulating it - maybe the next one will too?), TWoK had already been the best known, in part because it was the first affordable home-video release of a theatrical movie.

I would avoid TVH primarily because Leonard Rosenman's music doesn't hold a candle to that of Goldsmith, Horner, Eidelman, et al., either on its own terms or as a good fit for the movie. To take one example: The music that begins just as the title card "Music by Leonard Rosenman" appears on screen - all wrong for any imaginable version of Star Trek. As far as I know, Rosenman was a neighbor of Nimoy's, and Nimoy gave him the work as a friend. And indeed Rosenman had done respectable work earlier. But even his great contemporary Henry Mancini's best days were long behind him by the 1980s (both born 1924). Goldsmith (born 1929) was one of the very few of his generation to keep composing memorably for screen.

9. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Introduced my nieces with Star Trek IV. Khan was too scary!

10. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Allow me to wholeheartedly disagree. :-) In fact, the score to TVH is one of the things I enjoy most about the film.

I think Rosenman's score suits the tone of the film perfectly, and that includes the main theme. The closing cue of the film, when Kirk and company are making their way to the Enterprise, is beautiful. And, remember, Rosenman's score was only one of two Trek scores to ever be nominated for an Academy Award -- the other being Goldsmith's TMP score.

Further, regarding Rosenman's age and career, he was only 62 at the time he wrote the score for TVH, which hardly qualifies as ready for the grave. John Williams is still composing good quality scores at the age of 82 today. Rosenman's other Oscar nomination came in 1983, when he was 59, and his two Oscar wins came in the 70's when he was in his 50's. It doesn't require youth to write a good score.

Regarding the OP's question -- so as not to totally take this thread off-topic -- I would probably choose TWOK if I had to choose a film to introduce someone to Trek. But, quite honestly, I think the films are the wrong way to introduce one to Trek. Trek (not counting the reboot) has always been, at its heart, a television property. That's where most of the character development happens. If you go into any of the films, including TWOK, without knowing the background of the characters, I think you miss a lot of what makes the movies memorable.

11. CaptPapa

CaptPapa Commander Red Shirt

Wow . . . way harsh.
    But, as I'm nearing senility myself, I'm afraid I can no longer compose a memorable retort for this post - unfortunately those days are long behind me.

As far as the original subject, which is quite interesting - I'm leaning toward The Voyage Home; light and entertaining. The Wrath of Khan is great, but might be too heavy, though an earlier poster answered one of my objections nicely when saying Khan and Chekov give sufficient background to the subject. The Undiscovered Country would work well too.

ME

12. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

oh, yeah!...this

...though, when I first read your excellent thread idea, the first thing that popped into my holodeck addicted mind was series...depending on the age...for younger, I would start with TAS...for older, TOS...I know your thread asks for movies, but maybe something else to consider...

13. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

TWOK for sure.

14. Mage

Good point. It's easy to forgot that was really on just after the fall of the Wall and all.

15. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

I started with my wife with FC.
    Then we watched Startrek 2,3,4,6 and so on.
    Later we watched all the movies.

16. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would select STAR TREK (2009) to introduce the uninitiated to STAR TREK.

17. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Honestly, start with TWOK. That way, when they realize how awesome Star Trek is, you can let them know that TWOK was just one movie in a trilogy. If they aren't madly in love with ST by TVH, then there's truly something wrong with them.

18. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

First Contact, ironically.

19. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

TWOK, all day long and work through all the TOS movies, then (if one's partner is still up for it) watch a few TNG episodes from seasons 3 & 4, the BOBW 2 parter then proceed directly to Generations followed by JJ Trek.

That's how I introduced my other half to Trek.

20. mendelin

mendelin Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm in minority, but still...
    I think, the best beginning is The Motion Picture. The reasons, why:
    1. Gene Roddenberry and his vision.
    2. The best cinematography and the best music.
    3. The best example of what is the Star Trek villian should be.
    4. The best basis for discussions and questions to Trekkies :)

TMP is the best presentation for Star Trek world. This movie can lead to good discussion and arouse interest to other movies and shows.