Nu-Spock/ Nu-Uhura Break Up....NO WAY.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by serenitytrek1, Nov 27, 2012.

1. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

In the light of the recent synopsis about how love will be challenged. I see that some people are hoping that S/U will break up as they believe that Spock should not be in any relationship.

Well guess what? It is not Spock, it is not TOS Spock, Orignal Spock, Spock Prime, Nimoy’s Spock or whatever you call him, Spock is not in a relationship with uhura. Nu-Spock is. They are different people.

when I got into Nolan's Batman series I also didn’t go on a rampage about how Bruce/Batman never loved Rachel.

Heck, Rachel was never even in the comics, TV series or past movies. Nolan created the character just for his Batman film series. I also didn’t see hardcore Bat fans screaming at Nolan for paring Bruce up with someone they didnt know or didnt exist at all in the DC Universe.

All movies despite its genre needs romance, a story is never complete without a romantic subplot. Sure I thought the first film will end with Kirk/Uhura been a couple but at the end, I warmed up to Spock/Uhura.

it was so shocking and unpredictable and very different in comparison to other romantic subplots in movies. Normally it is the handsome hero aka Jim Kirk that should get the girl and not the geek but JJ pulled a Shrek instead. I hope it stay that way.

S/U already has a huge fanbase and is already part of our popular culture.I hope JJ and his crew don’t give into the pressure put on them by the S/U haters who are mostly Slash fans ..... a base that has become a loud minority.

This issue has been talked about to death. Even Startrek.com did a poll asking if Kirk/Spock are gay and 84% of the fans said no. Here is the link: http://www.startrek.com/boards-topic/33349783/are-kirk-and-spock-gay?page=1

Do I want to see,read or hear that TOS Spock and TOS Uhura get together in the orignal timeline? NO

Do I want to see Nu-Spock and Nu-uhura get together again in Trek 2013? YES

So no...no break up at all.Unless the break up is similar to the Aragon/Arwen break in the Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are you actually calling Spock ugly?
    But I wrote JJ a letter. He has to listen to me.

3. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

No I am not calling Spock ugly my reference to Shrek was the fact that Shrek was a fairy tale story that did everything backwards.

4. teacake

Unlike Shrek Spock has been the object of female ardor for decades. He had plenty of loves in TOS. Giving him a girlfriend is hardly doing anything backwards.

5. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

That's a rather hefty dose of hyperbole. Among Joe Public - if you're lucky - most people will be aware that there was a Star Trek movie a few years back featuring a young Kirk and Spock. That's it. I think it's a tad premature to pronounce S/U as a part of our popular culture.

Pressure? :guffaw:

6. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

OMG...What I mean is in a typical film, Kirk would have gotten the girl and not Spock,Kirk is the main character and he is the Hero.The girl is and should be his but JJ said he didnt want it that way.According to JJ, Kirk never stood a chance.

And yes TOS Spock had so many loves,more proof that TOS Spock is nothing like Quinto's Spock.

So I dont know why some TOS purist are demanding that Quinto's Spock should become more like TOS Spock.

Even TOS Spock has told him to ditch the logic thing and do what feels his right.

I prefer Nu-Spock because of my undying love for Zachary Quinto.:)

7. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

*Wonders when M'Sharak is going to come along and yet again close his post* :lol:

8. teacake

We have no idea how much NuSpock has gotten before we see him in ST:XI. He might have gone through half the cadets.

You have to understand, there are rumors about Vulcans that some young ladies are going to be very curious about, and when they actually have one right there in front of them wearing real pants and not robes they are going to want to try him out.

9. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

You know, whatever they do is what they do. At this point, I'm not really bothered. It looks like it's time for me to move on. If by chance I hear that it's good when it comes out and that S/U stay together, then I'll give it a shot. Until then, whatever.

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Love being challenged" = S/U having a more prominent part than in STXI. Whether they break up or not will be to this film what "Does Janeway return?" was to The Eternal Tide.

11. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Ever hear of The Wizard of Oz? Inherit the Wind? Twelve Angry Men? Billy Budd? All the President's Men? Das Boot? No Escape? A Clockwork Orange? 2001: A Space Odyssey?

12. teacake

I don't care about romance one way or the other.

13. Spock/Uhura Fan

I don't care for romance, but I do like love stories.

As long as it's a nice action flick, they'll make a profit. So, whatever they decide to do is up to them. It doesn't matter. There's always something else for people interested in love.

Maybe that's the case, and maybe not. I think this movie will be about Kirk and and it will have lots of action. That will work well enough.

14. teacake

What is the difference?

15. Spock/Uhura Fan

There's a difference. I just don't feel like typing about it. I went through that whole business at trekmovie and I was attacked by someone there for providing actual real definitions, lol. I think I'm done defending S/U or discussing love stories versus romances. It doesn't look like either one will apply much for the next film anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

16. teacake

Well I have no idea what the difference is other than maybe something gets called a love story if it is more compelling.

Sometimes a love story might grab me but it's not something I'm going to perk up and get excited about if I hear a film contains it. I don't think they will be ignoring Spock and Uhura after the set up they got in ST:XI and how much potential for Spock character development and choices it gives them.

17. Spock/Uhura Fan

It's the setup of S/U that will be a problem if they choose to dump them. Both are too thoughtful and cautious to get into a long-term relationship that just "ends." I don't see how that can authentically happen, but maybe it will be pleasingly sad to others. I'm not saying they'll be ignored, just that I'm not interested in a breakup.

18. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, there's ya problem. There are few things more soul-sucking than trying to reason with the armchair Treksperts on Trekmovie.com.

19. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wouldn't automatically assume that "love will be challenged" means a break up. If that so, then we should be really scared after reading "friendships will be TORN APART" too b/c, I don't know about you, but the mention of something being torn apart does sound way more ugly than something getting "challenged", to me. Especially when talking about a relationship between a human woman and a half human half vulcan man, both starfleet officers. How it can be NOT challenged, ever?
    Knowing JJ and Orci from shows like Fringe and Alias it's sort of a given that any love story they have will get some challenge or obstacle to overcome. JJ said that in the sequel they wanted to take S/U to the next level and show who are these people and what they mean to each other. A bit of angst is usually used as a plot device to further develop relationships.

I agree.
    Kevin Lauderdale (a star trek writer and fan) had written a whole article about S/U for the star trek magazine and he made this point too (e.g., "Given their positions, that they allowed the relationship to begin at all tells us how strongly they must have felt for each other from the start.")
    From the interviews and the commentary it seems that the writers (and consequently the characters) are in it for the long haul. They said that they are in love and they implied that Uhura is sort of Spock's "Amanda" (meaning that they can be a new version of Sarek and Amanda) it doesn't sound like a fling to me.
    All the attention they got in the comics and the novels also..

A believable break up may require even more amount of screentime devoted to that relationship than them staying together in the background like it was in the first movie (not to mention that it would leave the whole "will they won't they?" open so they could always get back together in the third movie) so I don't think it would make the haters happy either. The "haters" had demanded them (over trekmovie, anyway ) to pretend that the relationship had never happened, and the writers already said that they won't do that.
    I may be wrong (and maybe I'm giving too much credit to them) but the writers don't seem so inclined to pandering. And after all, the first movie may have haters but it still was a success and tons of press and reviews were more than positive about S/U along with the other changes made in the movie. They are pretty proud of themselves.

20. teacake

That's why if there isn't time for a believable break up someone must die.