How Far Should TOS-R Have Gone?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by ZapBrannigan, Feb 11, 2013.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not the same interview. That was FJ himself in 1976. The prior one was his daughter Karen in 1999.

I just think you should know the truth behind that which you hold so dear, rather than repeat incorrect statements, such as FJ being a big Trek fan, and blaming everyone but Roddenberry and Franz Joseph for FJ's work being contradicted, as if Mike Okuda went rogue and took over the franchise or something.
    Even of those were Nimoy's feelings about Trekkies, he has not (to the best of my knowledge) said as much in an official interview.
    Besides, it's again an unfair comparison - FJ never intentionally disrespected a Trek fan or spoke ill of fandom. He didn't consider the show trash - just not his thing. Which is fair enough, IMO.
    I wouldn't brag about pirating movies here. Perhaps it would be best if you simply didn't see it, or waited for it to air on television? It's only gonna upset and anger you anyway. Unless that's all part of the fun in your eyes...

2. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

^As much as I hate to say this, it's his right to see it as a download if he doesn't want to pay any of his money to see it in a theater. It's what I do sometimes myself when I don't care for a movie that much to pay for it physically or as a rental (case in point; this abominable 1968 movie starring Jackie Gleason and directed by Otto Preminger that was an attempt to be 'with it' back during that year.)

Of course, as I've suggested, I wish that Lenny would see a good shrink, or just stick to the original shows and movies on DVD. But like most classic fans, he'll continue to be an obnoxious Trekkie.

3. Lenny Nurdbol

Lenny Nurdbol Lieutenant Commander

Oh, King Daniel... Oooh, "the truth behind it" and only "official" interviews...

Tell you what, I wont see the new Trek movie if you don't read any of Franz Joseph's stuff or that nasty, dirty, filthy, "illegal" Tech Fandom stuff that I love... Deal? We'll both be happy then and be able to cope better with the real world...

And a note on piracy: who said anything about piracy? I'll see a copy when it comes around... Emphasis on the word c-o-p-y... Nobody's talking about "theft of property" here... No more than I'd take a copy of your avatar, print it out, frame it, and hang it up on my wall next to one of my heroes... Don't worry about all your money you have invested in Paramound...I know the type, oh how I know the type...

As for Shaka Zulu, that was kinda below the belt and uncalled for...but I expected as such in a place like this... Especially in light of not knowing the facts... Like having seen shrinks in the past when I was young (why? because of social phobia, anxiety, and just being, you know, a little Different because I preferred to Read Books rather than hang out in bars and get drunk on Friday nights)... I had a nervous disposition so Mr. Shrink gave me prescription drugs... Know what they did? They either made me super-tired that I couldn't function, or they placed me in a zomboid state which, again, meant that I couldn't function...
    Result: I lost jobs and my career went down the drain.. All because society wanted me to be "normal" like them... But, hey, Mr. Shrink got very rich off of me...

And I'm not an "obnoxious Trekkie" because I don't run around with a Star Fleet uniform on, rubber Spock ears, or act like an asshole at cons... I dress and behave quite normally, if a bit aloofly, and I've learned the hard way Not to display one's love for Trek in public...

4. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

There is no difference between wearing a T-Shirt of your favourite TV programme/film to that of your favourite sports team.

I don't go around critising people for wearing a top from their favourite sports team, all I ask is that you do the same.

5. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

I saw the 09 debacle on a copied dvd my brother in law gave me because his buddy burned it for him and he didn't like it. I expect to see this new one in the same way, I will not spend a penny on it, there's plenty of sheeple to do that for me.

P.S. I assume it was burned from HBO, is that piracy? I didn't pay for it, that was my point. I thought piracy included selling things.

Also, I'm expecting the new movie to be another blockbuster. That means a lot more people than "Star Trek fans" are going to see it. Those people that see a movie because it's the latest movie with action in it were the ones to whom I was refering. I'd been classified as a sheeple because I did something other people were doing and I didn't like it either. I apologize if my choice of words was unfortunate. I'm not making another post because Calculon said get back to topic and he's right, so I edited in here. Other people looking just to see any movie because it's something to do will be the majority of the ticket sales, just because of numbers.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

But I like FJ's stuff and tech fandom! I wish you'd not see everything in such all or nothing terms.
    Perhaps I jumped the gun.

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Why are we 'sheeple' because we spend our money on things we enjoy? I'm sure you spend money on things that others would consider frivolous or unworthy of the expenditure. Do you expect to be called 'sheeple' (or worse) when that happens? :rolleyes:

8. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

So people who like the new Star Trek are Sheep? Can you provide a better argument without resolving to name calling?

9. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

So you consider DVD piracy to be a legitimate way to fight back?

10. Lenny Nurdbol

I don't... But having analyzed certain aspects many times, from many different angles, seeing how things fit together, I eventually come to certain conclusions which become IMHO's...

11. Lenny Nurdbol

Wow, I can see This thread blowing itself out of proportion by a few light years...

All I'm going to say is that stealing is theft of property not copy of property, especially in light of NOBODY IS SELLING A COPY FOR A PROFIT...

I've taped All the Trek episodes off the air, ending with, well that horrible ending in a holodeck... Got 'em all on tape that way for my own private use... I'm no pirate, I'm not selling them, there's this thing about freedom of the airwaves, and nobody's gonna lock up Jamny Nurdbol for being a Crook for doing what everyone else is doing...
    A copy is a copy, big hairy deal...like a tribble...

12. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

You are completely wrong.

Anyway, we've gone way off the rails from "How Far Should TOS-R Have Gone?"

So everyone please relax, get back on the subject, or I will have to close this.

Thanks.

:techman:

13. Amaris

In that case, back on topic, I would love to see a full out and out refit of TOS. Not to replace, but because I want to see what we can really do with it.

14. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Why don't you try working your way up to a full-out messover of TOS?

Maybe start by giving us colorized versions of Ken Adam's charcoal artwork for the Bond movies first?

Or editing BIRTH OF A NATION so that the KKK aren't the heroes of the piece? Yeah, now that's a piece of revisionism that should go very well with how folks prefer to see history on their own terms instead of for what it was.

With the latter in mind, why do you even want to see TOS again at all?

15. Amaris

Repeat after me:

"It's just a show, I should really just relax."

Keep on saying that to yourself. Now, breath in through the nose, and out through the mouth.

There we go.
    There we go. That's good.
    That's a good boy. Good.
    Relax. Yes.

Just say to yourself, "It's just a TV show, there's no need for me to be angry or hyperbolic. I still have my unaltered Blu-rays, DVDs, Laserdiscs, and VHS tapes. This man has not broken into my home, and stolen my precious TV show. He has not harmed me in any way. I am free to unclench."

Just keep repeating that over and over.

16. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Why not? They're not holy relics and I don't have to like the end result. As long as the original prints/films are preserved, I don't care what someone does with copies of them.

It's fun that technology allows our imaginations run wild. But I still revisit TOS about once a year.

17. EliyahuQeoni

EliyahuQeoni Commodore Commodore

Redmond, Oregon, United States of America
    Selling/buying an illeagal copy would be piracy (often called bootlegging of the item in question isn't legally available (yet).

Getting a copy of something without paying for it is simply theft.

For the record, I'm not judging anybody or trying to tell anybody what they can or cannot do, I'm just defining a few terms.

18. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Gotta love it. Dissenting views are treated like lone nuts, and I'm sure this post will be considered sour grapes. So much for the art of conversation. Good goin', grape nuts.

19. Amaris

The art of conversation? Honey, I'm not the one invoking the KKK because someone likes nice special effects on a science fiction television show. If what you passed off in the previous post was your idea of the "art of conversation", it's a bleedin' Picasso. You're not conversing, you're yelling. You're posting a diatribe and calling it conversation. "Art of conversation," my ass.

20. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Relax.