How about a captain Pike(bruce Greenwood) series?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Jayson, May 3, 2009.

1. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

You never know. Kirk fell ass-backwards into his command. Why not the same for Pike?

--Sran

2. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Even when, as many smarter people have said, it's the same TOS Trek as the original TV show?

3. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

So, wait, you're saying the new time line, which has produced the two biggest Star Trek movies ever, would be a mistake to use for a TV Series because a very small segment of the Core Fandom doesn't like them and your solution is to return to the Prime Time Line, which drives people away simply because of the massive bucket of existing Canon that scares people off, and that same Prime Timeline also killed Star Trek with Staleness :confused:

How does that make any kind of sense?

I'm not against a Prime Timeline Series, but, I don't delude myself that it wouldn't have a hell of an uphill battle obtaining the needed ratings.

4. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Would the average viewer, likely not a hard core Trek fan, really know (or care) if the new series was set in the old or new timeline?

The box office? Adjusted for inflation ... no.

Setting the new series in the Romulan War era, late 22nd century or early/middle 23rd century would nicely fix that.

It wasn't the time period the show as set in, the "staleness is the fault of the production team and the writers.

A new series, strattled with the same difficulty, would have the same problems, regardless of what universe or time period in which it was set.

:)

5. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

The folks holding the purse strings will look at the failure of Nemesis and Insurrection and Enterprises (The Series) and then look at today's Star Trek and blow raspberries at setting it in the Continuity burdened Prime Timeline. Sure, the audience wouldn't know going in, but, they'd figure it out in a big hurry and bail, just like they did with DS9, Voyager and Enterprise. And of course, the General Audience will care if it's set in the Prime Time Line, because they won't understand half of what's going on. There is no reason to use the Prime Timeline if you're not going to use the Continuity.

Maybe I'm wrong about ST'09 being higher gross than TMP, it's not important enough to research, but, STID is definitely higher than TMP, and STID and ST'09 blow away the figures for Insurrection and Nemesis, and pile Enterprise on top of that, and it will turn the money people off. If anyone wants to spend money making the Series, they are going to want to go where the money currently is.

General Audience is afraid of Star Trek on TV because of the Continuity, that is a simple fact, they won't lose that fear without it being proven to them that it's not a problem, but, if it's set in the Prime Universe, they will know it and bail.

Again, I am not against a Prime Time Line Series, I would definitely watch it, but, Sran's post suggests a new time line Series would drive the audience away, because a small fraction of the Core Audience doesn't like the new Movies, and then he/she goes on to suggest a prime Time Line Series would have people clamoring to it, when it's already been proven (as far as the money folks are concerned) that a Prime Time Line Series will do exactly the opposite.

6. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    To be fair, I don't fully agree. While I can see that reboots are easier for new viewers to get into, new franchises often come equipped with quite a bit of backdrop, and no one seems to have a problem with that.

7. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

True. But an existing franchise just has so much history behind it that a lot of people find it overwhelming. A new franchise is new and people know that everyone going into the film is as clueless as they are while with an existing franchise makes people think you need inside knowledge to enjoy it so some in the audience have a clue and that disturbs people on some level.

8. Cjohnson1701

Cjohnson1701 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think what everybody wants "consumer-wise" is anything during the 23rd century prime or otherwise. The 24th century trek at it's best was pretty good ( but not fantasmagorical like Game of Thrones), but a good portion of those series for me was a snooze-fest, especially Voyager. I cannot stand that show, no matter how hard I try. I commend the EMH, best doctor since McCoy.

I've read the ST: New Voyages, The pike comic book. It was much more of what I wanted. More Space Cowboy, less Diplomatic Shitick.

But yeah I'd be down with a Pike TV series.