Direct-to-DVD Trek movies?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Mirror Sulu, Feb 19, 2013.

1. yousirname

yousirname Commander Red Shirt

I've heard of it but not seen it. The first three films are so wildly popular that I'm not sure TCW is actually doing anything in particular (I think it's just capitalising on the innate popularity).

There was 15 years between Return of the Jedi and The Phantom Menace. I seem to recall from my childhood a pretty dismal 'adventures of 3PO and R2' Saturday morning cartoon, but it's hard to say that it played any particular role in the anticipation that led up to TPM's release.

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why does it have to be the same? I'm envisioning something very different in content. The similarity would be that Starfleet is always present, and the production design elements would also be similar. You'd see the same visual cues in uniforms and sets, not so glitzy on a TV budget but still respectable.

For the movies: Kirk & crew have a wild, colorful, violent, zap-pow adventure for two hours every three years.

For streaming: a different set of characters, Starfleet and otherwise, in a more plot and character focused context, with more talking and less action than the movies and a plotline that unspools over time in a serialized fashion like cable shows.

Maybe they're colonists on some alien world with some kind of unknown danger that only emerges over time. Maybe it's a starbase that follows the complex workings of Fed diplomacy and peacekeeping. There are lots of premises that can be developed for this format.

The wide-open possibilities of streaming mean that several Star Trek series could be developed, aimed at different audiences. A Starfleet Academy series for the CW type audience. A cartoon aimed mainly at kids. Eventually even more esoteric topics, such as a Klingon-focused show might be viable once the franchise is built up.

Think LOTR vs Game of Thrones. Same basic genre, but different approaches. Both can be successful without stepping on the other's toes.

Whatever the approach is, it's gotta work in America first and that won't work in America. The time for that is past. The family views TV on different devices at different times. The parents are watching on their iPads while commuting and the kids are watching on a laptop in their bedrooms while pretending to do their homework. Sports will lure dad into the living room to watch on a big-screen TV.

Also, Big Brother is a reality show and that's very different from a niche genre like sci fi. There are a few genres left that are still mass market - reality, cop shows, sports, some sitcoms. Those might still attract family viewing, but sci fi is at the other end of the spectrum of mass-to-niche tastes.

You're assuming Star Trek will be ad supported rather than subscription based, which is definitely not my assumption. I think subscription is the future for a niche genre like Star Trek.

Also, advertisers like to be able to target their audience in as focused a way as possible. If they can serve ads to mom while she's commuting and dad watching sports on the big screen and junior watching ads on his laptop, they love that. They know exactly who they are reaching and pay only for the eyeballs they want.

Now that the internet is letting them target like never before, and only pay for results (pay per click), they are going to be increasingly critical of unfocused TV advertising where they don't get direct feedback about who precisely is watching and there's no way for anyone to click on a TV ad and prove that it was effective.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  3. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

You skipped over what I said next:

4. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

5. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

^^^
    Paramount's not so much playing nice with CBS as they are with Sony. Sony's the one that's trying to sell the Beverly Hills Cop TV series to CBS. And the initial article about Paramount getting back into television production was just a prelude to that announcement.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013