The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Oct 27, 2010.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Third Nolan Batman film title announced!

I don't know anything about Hugo Stange other than what I've read on the net, but I'm a big Robin Williams fan so I'm hoping this is true.

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

You've seen..., well, pretty much anything he's done in the last 15-20 years, right?

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just looked and I've actually only seen a handfull of his movies... but I really like them.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm sorry I don't mean to be rude...but how can you be a big fan of someone's if you've only seen a handful of his movies?

5. Goji

Goji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I consider myself a Robin Williams fan and most of his movies are terrible. He's really much more entertaining as a regular comic outside of film. He's a hilarious guy, but he seems to have no taste whatsoever when it comes to choosing which movies to appear in.

It would be fun to see him as a Batman villain though.

6. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I do hope you're excepting Insomnia and One Hour Photo.

It would be interesting if more than 20 years after being linked with the role of the Joker and then the Riddler Williams finally did play a Bat-villain. Given how well he worked with Nolan in Insomnia, he might actually suit a creepy role like Strange better than an OTT role like Joker or Riddler.

7. Admiral_Young

Not to mention "Worlds Greatest Dad" he's exceptional in this and it's my favorite performance from Williams.

8. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

And let's not forget Good Will Hunting (which came out only 14 years ago). You know, the one where he won an Oscar.

9. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Okay, three or four instances of Williams doing good work in the last 15 years. We also have:

Night at the Museum 2 (the first one was okay)
    Man of the Year
    RV
    Flubber
    Patch Adams (melodramatic schlock about a quack doctor)
    Death to Smoochy
    License to Wed
    Nine Months
    Ms. Doubtfire
    Toys
    Hook
    Father's Day

Looking at his IMDB page those are the ones that stuck out the most to me as being his "bad" or "questionable" work where he pretty much just acts like a coked-out idiot the whole time.

He has done some good dramatic work (One Hour Photo, Dead Poet's Society) but from the looks of things most of his work the last couple decades has either been forgettable dramatic pieces (which can go either way if they're movies no one is likely to have remembered), "act like a lunatic comedies", "odd situation comedies" (like Ms. Doubtfire which while... "okay" still was only funny because it was "Robin Williams as an old woman.") or genuinely, good, roles. Bicentennial Man I could go either way on.

He's funny, has (had) some good stand-up and done some good even great work. But he's really a mixed bag and I think he's another one of those actors whom the director has to "control" to get good work out of. But maybe it's just me but when I look at Robin Williams I don't think of "hard acting, dramatic ball of awesome" I think of hirsute coke-addled nutcase.

Maybe Nolan could get something "good" out of him but, personally, I don't think he'd be a good fit.

All IMHO, of course.

10. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

This would be very cool if true. That would be an amazing cast right there.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Given that Williams has been rumored as a Batman villain in the past, I'm very, very skeptical of this rumor.

12. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

The thing is Bane can be the brains too. People keep thinking of the character from Batman and Robin and forget that he was a very smart character in the comics.

Anyway, I think the Robin Williams rumor is bullshit, since he's been rumored to be in Batman all the fucking time. I'll buy it when I see something official.

13. Christopher

Right. The whole idea behind Bane was that he was the anti-Batman, an equally cunning and intelligent foe. He didn't just outmuscle Batman, he used strategy and psychological insight to wear Batman down to the breaking point and only then confront him directly. But everybody only remembers the "...Break You!" moment and forgets all the chess-playing that led up to it.

14. Admiral_Young

^ No everyone remembers the shit character from "Batman and Robin" "Bannnnnneeeeeee!!!!" as well as the "Break You" line.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Like I said, I've really liked the stuff I've seen him in. I thought I'd seen more of his stuff when I first posted, so I'm actually not as big of a fan as I thought.
    And don't worry, I don't interpret that as rude at all. It's a legitimate question.:bolian:

16. Admiral_Young

17. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

I wouldn't mind seeing Robin Williams as Hugo Strange. Yes, his track record has been mostly bad for the past few years, but he has given some great performances too, both comedic and dramatic. I really enjoyed his dramatic work in "One Hour Photo" and "Insomnia" and he was quite good in "Mrs. Doubtfire" and "Nine Months"...definitely one of the few highlights of some otherwise mediocre films. If Nolan casts him, it would feel like one of those Tarantino situations where the director takes a once highly revered actor who has been floundering lately and restores him to former glory.

Anyone unfamiliar with the character of Hugo Strange should check out the "Batman:The Animated Series" episode "The Strange Secret of Bruce Wayne". It's rather silly and Hugo is a bit of a fool in it, but it's also entertaining and shows what a fun villain Hugo can be to have around. And while you're at it, check out "Bane" from the same series. A legitimately excellent episode and for the moment the best depiction of the character that's been done outside of the comics...of course that may change after the release of Nolan's sequel (hopefully?).

18. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

IS, IS a smart character. ;)

19. Christopher

And it's based on a storyline from Steve Englehart's short but game-changing run on the Batman comics of the '70s, which also included "The Laughing Fish" and introduced the character of Rupert Thorne. (And had other influences that weren't felt in B:TAS, like introducing Silver St. Cloud and reinventing Deadshot into his modern form.)

I'd argue that last week's Young Justice episode included a portrayal of Bane that was at least as good, emphasizing his cunning and intelligence in a way that the B:TAS episode didn't really manage.

20. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

In literary terms is is correct, but in chronological terms as far as popular perception goes, he was perceived as a smart character in Knightfall, then he became a dumb character in Batman and Robin.

Or maybe I'm just being stubborn and don't want to give in to being wrong ;)