So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

I am halfway into To Reign in Hell, the third Khan novel, which just arrived in the post yesterday.

2. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

Just finished a 70s Trek novel The Price of the Phoenix. Really good. Made me fall in love with the Romulan Commander all over again, she has a really strong role there as a full equal with Kirk and Spock. The homoerotic subtext was jaw droppingly strong, much more blatant and titillating than the famous Killing Time first printing. I loved every minute of it, but I'm still amazed it got printed. The subtext is just about official enough in this one to just be considered text. At the very least there's a strong objectification of Kirk - he's stripped naked against his will - twice! if you count his transporter clone imaginatively called James, who mind melds with Spock while naked. It's crazy, but an action packed brisk read.

3. Last Redshirt

Last Redshirt Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Finished Vanguard's Harbinger and I was very satisfied with it. It felt like it dragged on a bit at times and I can say unfortunately that there are some dry parts, mostly with Pennington, that I just skipped over. Overall it was lovely and I'll be definitely looking into the rest of the series.

I'm currently reading through the first book of My Brother's Keeper, Republic, and I really do love it. It fleshes out Mitchell and really makes Where No Man Has Gone Before quite was.

4. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished Star Trek: The More Things Change.

I then read the first Falling Skies comic, which is a prequel to the first season.

I'm now reading The Cold Dish, the first in the Walt Longmire series, by Craig Johnson.

5. xavier

xavier Commander

Star Fleet Academy

6. EnriqueH

EnriqueH Commodore Commodore

Currently reading:

From Sawdust to Stardust, the DeForest Kelley biography. (So far, it's excellent).

I don't like to read more than 1 book at a time, but I'm tempted to pick up a Trek novel.

7. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

I just finished the first "Seekers"novel, Second Nature by David Mack, and I thought it was pretty damn good. Probably should have finished the "Vanguard" series first, since it seems to take place right after that storyline, but whatever. Everything made sense after only reading the first "Vanguard" novel.

I've also started The Light Fantastic. I've only had time to read the first couple chapters, but I really like Data as a breakfast cook. That's something I do too, and I like it when I can directly relate to what I'm reading. I think it's shaping up to be a fun read.

Probably back to Vanguard after this.

8. EnriqueH

Is there a thread that talks about the current state of affairs of the Trek novels? Or can someone explain it to me?

Though I'm a lifelong Trek fan, I kinda feel like Scotty in "Relics" because I've heard people talking about a relaunch and things like that, so I feel slightly lost.

I'm assuming with the new movies, Pocket hit a reset or something? Could someone explain it to me?

9. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

No, actually, they didn't.

Each of the series, following its final onscreen episode, was "relaunched" with further adventures of those characters. Those relaunches, along with a number of additional novel-only series that were created, form an interlocking continuity generally called the Lit-Verse around here. It more or less began with Avatar, the first post-finale Deep Space Nine novel, in 2001, though a bunch of earlier works have been referred to and thus have become a part of it over the years. That continuity is still going strong and hasn't been reset or anything of the kind.

The flowchart in my signature gives a list of all of the interconnected books from all of the series, and how they fit together. If you're looking for good places to start, let us know what TV shows you liked the most and what kind of stories you'd like to read and we'll recommend some starting points. There's a ton of novels that are part of this amazing, giant story now and they're really remarkably good overall.

10. EnriqueH

Interesting!

I like it! I appreciate the offer, Thrawn.

To clarify: So this would mean the final onscreen adventure. For example, following Star Trek Nemesis?

11. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Yes. Though actually, for Next Generation, the first thing that's a major part of the ongoing continuity is the "A Time To..." miniseries, which actually covers the year before Nemesis, in an attempt to explain some of the continuity weirdness in that film. (Though the first 6 books in that miniseries aren't the strongest; people often recommend, if you want to start there, that you begin with "A Time To Kill" unless you're a major completist.)

12. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

I'm re-reading A Singular Destiny and finally getting around to Daedalus and Daedalus's Children.

Are you asking if Pocket Books' Star Trek novels were reset after the release of Star Trek 2009 and Star Trek Into Darkness? The answer to that is no. In 2009 the novels were only at 2381/2382 in-universe while Star Trek 2009 had the Narada and Jellyfish time-traveling from 2387. As the new movies deal mainly with an alternate quantum reality, the established novel continuity is unaffected. It just has to deal with the Hobus supernova once it gets around to 2387.
    There are no more canon Star Trek works set in the prime reality after Star Trek Nemesis except the flashbacks in Star Trek 2009.

^I hope that helps you.

13. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

I finished The Shifter by Janice Hardy and am reading Blue Fire. They are in the Healing Wars trilogy. I've really enjoyed them.

14. ElimGarak.93-99

ElimGarak.93-99 Captain Captain

I'm reading Star trek Titan: Absent Enemies.
    It has only 13 chapters.

15. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

"The War That Ended Peace: How Europe Abandoned Peace for the First World War" - Margaret MacMillan

16. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just posted my review of Jeffrey Lang's The Light Fantastic, which certainly lives up to the "fantastic" part of the title.

Currently reading Terok Nor: Night of the Wolves by S.D. Perry and Britta Dennison, as well as Eleanor Rigby by Douglas Coupland.

17. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

I finished The Healing Wars: Book III: Darkfall by Janice Hardy last night. I'll start a new book tonight. :)

18. Tarheel

Tarheel Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

As I continue through my post-Nemesis read through, I finished Articles Of The Federation earlier this week and started Q&A last night.

My unintentional DeCandido streak continues, having also read A Gutted World (from Myriad Universes) and Demons Of Air and Darkness recently.

19. EnriqueH

I started reading the old novel "Spock Must Die!" by James Blish.

I think the crew interactions and the way they speak are accurate for the most part, except for Kirk continually calling McCoy, "Doc."

But more importantly, I have a serious problem with the way they arrived with the two Spocks.

I would assume that the trachyon experiment provided too many moral issues for Kirk and co. to just jump right into it.

20. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just finished reading Star Trek One constant star by David George the story was okay .Some of the chapters the characters got longwinded about time travel. I just started reading Able One by Ben Bova is a fast paced book very exciting about what could happened if almost all satelites got knocked out by an EMP pulse in space.