How Big is the Eye of Harmony? (spoilers Journey to the center TARDIS)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Brent, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: How Big is the Eye of Harmony? (spoilers Journey to the center TAR

5 converted 25 percent of the TARDIS into thrust to escape the gravi-temporal pull from the explosive formation of the Milkyway.

2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Hm, maybe I'm misremembering. I want to say it was during the Tom Baker era because I think it was a reference prior to Castrovalva when The Fifth Doctor ejects a percentage of the TARDIS (and, come to think of it, also sometime before Romana gives the TARDIS an approximate weight).

Quite right and I recognize that it's quite difficult to properly grasp the full meaning of "infinite." But considering how crazy some of the concepts Doctor Who has over the years, I'm willing to swallow the idea that perhaps the TARDIS interior is infinite.

3. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Try The Masque Of Mandragora, they showed the exact scene where the Doctor told Sarah Jane that the TARDIS is infinite in the special before Pyramids Of Mars.

4. Guy Gardener

5. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Lagopolis? Isn't that in Nigeria?

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

"Dear friend, I am writing to you with a proposal that will be to our mutual benefit. My father was a Timelord who fought in the Time War. Unfortunately as a result our entire family fortune is now Timelocked, however it may be possible for an ephemeral such as yourself to aid in transfering this large sum of money out of the vortex and into a UK bank account..."

7. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

So that's what he meant when he said the Lagopolitans were good with numbers!

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

:lol:

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, yes, I just mentioned those specific references yesterday in post #9 of this thread! And you already replied to it!

10. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Yeah, like I said. Bad memory. :lol:

11. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I like this idea a lot, would also help explain why the eye of harmony now seems bigger than in the 96 tv movie if the entire thing is now there. Part of me also loves this idea that keeps popping into my head about the eye of harmony being used along with that "moment" thing RTD mentioned that brought the Time War to an end.

12. Guy Gardener

Taking the Eye out of the timelock would have downpowered the Timelords... If they weren't already dead.

The Doctor was inside the timewar too still.

If there is only one eye, and the Doctor stole it from the time lord, then in the end f time would both eyes try to power up Gallifrey? Dangerously supercharging the planet?

Gallifrey and the TARDIS should have exploded.

RIFT ENERGY!

NO EYE!

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  13. Christopher

Except that we're talking about the TARDIS, so conventional ideas about the relative sizes of things shouldn't apply.

14. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

In the novel The Ancestor Cell, the Doctor encounters a fleet of battle TARDISes whose exterior dimensions are equivalent to their interior ones, and they're the size of the moon.

15. Guy Gardener

In the novel the Crystal Bucephalus, they were flying on (as good as) a magic carpet over a vast city that is what the TARDIS looked like as viewed from a hole in the floor from the attic.

Although the TARDIS has infinite space inside itself, that does not mean that that infinite space is as yet filled up with infinite architecture because even at infinite speed that would still take infinite time.

16. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As the interior is apparently created/maintained by the TARDIS herself, it seems sensible that while its potentially infinite, to make it actually infinite would require an infinite amount of energy. And an infinite amount of energy to maintain.

17. Christopher

Off-topic, I know, but it kinda bugged me when they started referring to other Gallifreyan spacetime craft as TARDISes, because Susan said in "An Unearthly Child" that she coined the name from the English initials of "Time And Relative Dimension In Space" (indeed, that very line was heard in "Journey to the Centre"). And presumably she didn't learn English until after she and the Doctor left Gallifrey and started visiting Earth. Plus, of course, originally it was treated as a "ship" whose given name was Tardis -- they would occasionally say things like "We need to get back to Tardis," and it was only later that it became standardized as "the TARDIS," with the word becoming a generic name for that type of vehicle rather than the name of a specific one.

Actually the show was inconsistent about it for a while -- we saw them referred to by Gallifreyans as "TT capsules" in a couple of stories, but there were other references to "TARDIS" as a generic name before then, like mentions of "the Master's TARDIS." And then there was "The War Games," where the War Chief supplied knockoff time machines called SIDRATs, TARDIS spelled backward.

18. Guy Gardener

Theoretically the Eye of Harmony can produce infinite energy since the Timelords can simultaneously draw upon the same moment of time an infinite amount of times.

It's a paradox machine.

There's no limit to the number of times that they can recycle the same moment.

19. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Sure, it's inconsistent with Susan's line, but this is water under the bridge by this point. Maybe she independently came up with it or came up with the backronym. That's the best I can say.

20. Guy Gardener

The Lama in the foothills out side the city taught the Doctor as a child how to play cricket.

On the planet of Death, The Doctor said that he was taught every language.

Oh?

The Master is obviously a succeeding regeneration of Susan.