Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by daedalus5, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Convert the zen price into real money, subtract the bit you would have saved with the discount and laugh about the pittance it really was. ;)

2. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I finally got all 6 Elite STF Optionals!

3. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Nice!

Banged out all the ground Normal ones with a few of you the other night, my newer toon hadn't run them yet and it's hard to get a queue together for that one. Will have to run him through the space normals this weekend, but that's an easy one for PUG groups, unless other people here want in on it.

He needs most of the ground Elite ones as well, may set up a couple runs and knock them out if I see a few of you on and you want to give it a go...

4. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well if I'm on at the time and not doing anything I'm in.

5. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    I saw that too. And, this is after a week or so of saving up and refining dilithium and exchanging it for Zen in order to get costume changes for my Fed toons.

I think I'm saving up for a multi-mission sci vessel, but I'm wondering if I should take advantage of the sale to get my Romulan toon a change of clothes.

I say 'I think' because I've been neglecting my other characters, and I feel I want to have my Vice Admiral at a certain point - spacewise, groundwise - before I move on to another.

On that note, I wanted to post my ship's current status, for my Vice Admiral Science Officer:

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=reconbuild_0

Right now, I'm trying to make my sci ship as tough as can be, so I was doing some experimenting.

For the longest time, I didn't realize that my Auxiliery was around 25%, since my focus was having my weapon power at 100%. (This meant that my Gravity Well was really doing nothing all that time).

Currently, my power levels are locked at these levels:
    *Weapons: 85%, with bonuses bringing it up to 97%
    *Shields: 50%, with bonuses bringing it up to 51%
    *Engines: 15%, and whatever bonuses bringing it up to 16% (I think I now understand why some of the Impulse Engines add certain speed bonuses for those of us who uses low levels!)
    *Auxiliary: 50%, with bonuses bringing it up to 69%.

Groundwise, I'm experimenting with different weapons - I tend not to like pulseweapons, miniguns, or auto rifles - and seeing how my ground shields can last a bit longer against the Borg or general ground scenarios. I just realized, after researching forums, that energy dampening armor helps, so now I'm looking for a strong shield that won't dissipate after one barrage.

My plan is to fill up my reputation so I'll have more items to choose from.

6. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

I'm going to apologize upfront about the next few things I'm going to say, because with a few simple and cheap changes, that ship you have can easily do 2-3 times the amount of damage:

1) Too many torpedoes. I understand you're trying to build a transphasic torpedo boat, but that's not the way to do it. Not when you're only firing only one torpedo (or a spread) every few seconds. If you like to improve your ship as a torpedo build, have a look at my old transphasic torpedo build. Its a little dated (there are a couple of improvements that can be made).

2) If you want to stick with a torpedo boat, I hope you have two very rare Projectile Weapon Officers. A torpedo boat without them does very little damage. You can get them for free by spending 2-3 weeks repeating the Support B'Tran Colonization chain of duty officer assignments.

3) Move the Kinetic Cutting Beam to an aft weapon slot. It has a 360 degree firing arc, meaning it can shoot at anything in range even from an aft slot. Save that forward slot for a more potent weapon.

4) Make better use of the 3 tactical console slots by slotting tactical consoles
    that boost weapon damage. For example, Transphasic Compressors.

5) Consider using more beam arrays or dual beam arrays to better punch through ship shields. This will cause your transphasics to cause more damage. PS: By itself, Tachyon Beam is really bad at stripping shields.

7. Joel_Kirk

No need to apologize. I posted my ship's setup so I can get feedback....:lol:

Thanks. :techman:

I'll post an update on my vessel soon, with changes per your suggestions. I have a few Romulan plasma dual beams - through New Romulus reputation - that I could use, or I'll spend the dilithium for additional antiproton dual beams or single beam arrays, especially since I already have one single antiproton beam on the ship.

I guess my only question is: How many torpedoes do you suggest I use as I add dual beam arrays to this setup? (I want a beam/torpedo boat with good DPS).

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  8. intrinsical

While I've dabbled in torpedo boats in the past, I've given up them as they are really hard to build well. The Hydra Chel Grett I linked could do 5k dps in an STF with a huge caveat: It needs a warm up period of 20-30 seconds before it could achieve said dps. That was fine pre-Legacy of Romulus. These days, a group of above average ship can dish out 7k dps immediately (and my circle of players typically do 10-20k dps instantly), by which time all the targets have already been destroyed. Thus since LoR, I've given up on torpedo boats.

If you're just using one torpedo, its simple. Pick either a photon or a quantum torpedo since they have the fastest rate of fire and are the most damaging torpedos in a general setting. My opinion is that this is the option you should stick to as a science vessel already have the least number of weapon slots and torpedos have been consistently shown to decrease a ship's overall damage output.

If you want to use more than one torpedo, then you need to know everything there is to know about torpedo cooldown timers, especially the "GCD" or Global Cooldown timer. A lot have been written on this topic by other players so I'm not going to try and type it all out by memory and get something wrong. Instead, I'll refer you to this post. That should teach all you need to know about how, why and when you should slot more than one torpedo.

9. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Or switch to all beams and just give up on torpedoes. They're just not that good/useful.

10. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I put together a torpedo boat on one of my alt just for the fun of it. I used the fleet Defiant, because I have always imagined a torpepo boat as small and maneuverable, like the PT boats in WWII.

First thing I did was add two traits to my main, Hot Pursuit which enhances mine attacking their target Then added Intimidating Strikes which is an aid to torpedos.

I gave the ship 3 purple Projectile Weasons Officer DOffs with the reduce torpedo recharge, and two purple Technicians to reduce BOff ability recharge.

Fore
    Phaser Quad Cannons
    Breen Transphasic Cluster Torpedo
    2 x Rapid Reload Transphasic Torp
    Aft
    Hargh'pend torpedo
    Breen Transphasic Cluster Torpedo
    Rapid Reload Transphasic Torp

I used the Breen deflector and engines for the set power buff and a fleet Shield and Warp core.

Consoles include Rule 62 Multipurpose Combat Console (lobi),
    Spacial Charge Launcher, Assimilated Module (borg), zerp point energy conduit and 5x Transphasic Compressor.

It isn't the biggest damage dealer in a group but it holds its own in the STFs I have tried with it.

11. Joel_Kirk

Thanks for the link. However, I think I'll try your suggestion for adding a photon or quantum torp.

I'll probably had one in the fore with another beam array. I guess now is just trying to get hold of a blue or purple photon or quantum torp - I don't think I've seen one since I've started playing...!

Yeah, I've heard they're not that useful, especially if shields are still present on the enemy.

I might give an all beam boat a shot in the future. However, I'll try my next ship update with a single torp, see how that works.

Interesting...

12. intrinsical

That's the thing about torpedo boats. You have to stack every single bonus Cryptic has added, use every trick in the book just to get damage on par with an average beam or cannon boat.

Meanwhile, that average beam boat just needs to put in some effort into adding one or two high end items and it will outperform any torpedo boat.

13. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, kinda don't get the point, really. If you try really, really hard, it might almost be as good as a half-assed beam boat. Why not just put effort into the beam boat and really have something worth using?

14. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My torpedo boat was just a 'something to do' with one of my alts, trying to see how well I could make it.

My main flies a Vesta Cannon boat and it does very well in a fight. I believe with a little tweaking once we get to level 60 it will still be a competitive ship.

15. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Was directed more toward Joel, who seems to be trying it as a primary plan vice a fun experiment. Just stating that even if you succeed, it's not worth the time/effort. Spending the same effort and points/ec/zen can get you a fairly kick ass beam or cannon build, so torpedoes just seem like a waste.

I've tried to get rid of them completely, and only one I'm keeping is an Omega one to get the 3-piece set bonus with the cutting beam and borg console. Debated even losing that one, but it's there through intertia so far...

16. Joel_Kirk

Scout101,

I've just been playing random areas for dilithium and reputation....so I'm feeling if I do make a ship purchase it has to be worth it. Especially since I'm now playing PvP, I want a ship that could *ahem* kick ass in both PvP as well as PvE.

I just played a very fun ground PvP (probably because I was on a winning team and was taking down opponents myself) but I feel my Fed sci captain still needs a strong shield. Right now she has a Nukara Tier I (?) shield. I also want my captain to be formidable on ground missions.

I'm also trying out different ground weapons to see what I like best. Even though the sniper weapons are nice to snipe with (I've used one - the antiproton rifle - to snipe Tholians on Nukara, and another - phaser rifle - to snipe opponents in a ground arena) it doesn't seem to shoot as quickly as I want.

Getting back to my recon sci vessel:
    Right now, I changed to Fore: 2 Dual Beams (Romulan Plasma) and 1 Photon Torp, and Aft: Cutting Beam, Romulan Plasma Array, and Romulan/Disruptor Array.

If I'm reading my damage correctly in PvE missions (the numbers in yellow)...I'm hitting double digits. Too, I understand that many ships have hull plating to protect from plasma...so I'm assuming I'm not doing much damage.

I may just put back my antiproton arrays back. (Still considering adding that one photon torp!)

I was even looking looking at non-sci vessels, but I want to utilize my sci powers to their fullest.

17. intrinsical

If you're just playing ship PvE, plasma's totally fine. Even in PvP its still kinda fine as plasma resistances only truly play a role when both sides are equally well matched (gear-wise). And anyway, player skill trumps gear in PvP.

Anyway, back to your ship loadout. I think I've mentioned before that the best way to improve damage output is to ensure all 6 of your sci vessel's weapons are constantly firing. Right now, either the two aft beam arrays or the 3 forward weapons won't be firing depending on your ship's facing. That basically drops your ship damage capability by nearly half.

So instead of having beam arrays in the rear, why not replace them with turrets. They have a 360 degree firing arc, which means all 6 weapons will be firing when you are directly facing your opponent, ensuring maximum damage.

I have never played ground PvP (too few players) so I may be talking nonsense here. As far as I am aware, its your selection of kit powers and not your weapon or shield that is the deciding influence in winning ground PvP.

18. Joel_Kirk

^^

I'll post my 'refit' soon based on your suggestions, intrinsical. ;)

19. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wellp, I suppose I should start asking for advice on my ship specifically. I'm a Sci capt (wanted to give Sci a try) with a Fleet Star Cruiser and love it dearly, so it's my main. I realize there are some limitations that come with it, but I'd like to improve its DPS. I'm fairly satisfied with its survivability, so I'm less concerned about that. Could anyone provide some feedback or tips (equipment, skills, even gameplay) to help maximize the ship's DPS? Since I'm science in a cruiser, I don't expect godly numbers, but an increase would be good.

Here's my ship: http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=starcruiser_7886

If it helps, my weapon level tends to be at 110, and the other systems at around 65 or so. When Plasmonic Leech kicks in, weapons go up to 125 and the other systems increase into the 80s.

20. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Not that much you can do, really.

I would get rid of the torp spread, swap it for FAW2 and pick up Tactical Team 1.

Drop Aceton Beam and get Warp Plasma 3 to drop it on your enemies.

To keep them in the cloud use a tractor beam.

Put as many skill points into exotic particle generator and gravimetric control (or whatever the skill that enhances movement disabling is called).

Your ship will never be a DPSer, it really is best suited as a healer, but if you insist on trying to go on the offensive, you have to take a more trickier approach.
    And then try to use consoles that enhance those skills further.

Modus Operandi should be: disable and cook!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.