OSX Mavericks...

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Warped9, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Apple announces they're giving software away for free. This includes a free upgrade to OSX Mavericks for Macs and Macbooks. Excuse the dumb question, but is Mavericks the next OS replacing Mountain Lion? I ask because it breaks the practice of naming their next OS after a big cat.

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Yes, it's their latest operating system after Mountain Lion. Downloading it as I type this...

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Thanks. Since I posted the thread I began reading reviews.

Of course this will mean I have to get yet another user manual. I like having one at hand just in case.

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

:shrug:

I don't think I've ever needed a user manual for any operating system.

5. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

In the past--several years ago--I found it handy to have in case I ran into something I didn't understand.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Welp, I downloaded it. It said it would take 45 minutes to download and install. It ended up taking 3 hours, so that was annoying. Playing around with it now. Only noticing minor changes so far, mostly having to do with the Track Pad and the number finger swipes for various functions.

7. Kronos

Kronos Admiral Admiral

Did they run out of cats?

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

They should have named it OS X 10.9 "Targ." :klingon:

9. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Ok, I like it. But I had to quickly disable the autocorrect function...

Instead of typing special combinations for accents and some symbols, now you only have to press the keys a little longer and like on the iPhones and iPads, those symboles appear above the letter just typed. That's cool.

Oh and you can modify your administrator password with your iTunes ID. Dunno if it's a good or bad idea yet...

10. Saturn0660

Saturn0660 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll get it at some point i guess.. I just doesn't add anything i'd ever use. Even as an iPhone user.

11. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

They announced a while back that they would be moving away from 'cats' for OS X and onto things about California. So Mavericks is their first in the new California naming scheme. I too downloaded and upgraded my Mac Pro last night, also took forever because everyone was hitting the servers hard for the update. A lot of the little changes are nice and of course it is great that it is now free.

I'm seriously considering upgrading to the new Mac Pro come december. My current Mac Pro is from early 2008. While still performing great, it has become noticeably slower and the new Mac Pro is shiny. I'm still on the fence about which way to go with the iPad. Now that the iPad mini has the retina display and basically the same guts as the iPad Air, they are making really hard to decide between the two. I think I'm going to have to look at both together to decide. So come February or March their will be another announcement for the new iPad Pro?

12. Mr. Laser Beam

^ I'm going to wait until the iPad has the fingerprint sensor before I upgrade.

And where exactly the hell is the 128GB iPod Touch? :scream: :brickwall:

13. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

My iMac is from 2011. Usually I always like to keep my software and OS up to date, but I use SketchUp practically every day (along with Maxwell Render) and so compatibility is a concern. I've been quite content with Mountain Lion so if there were issues with SketchUp running with Mavericks I could wait until things were ironed out.

That said I've been reading reviews of Mavericks and most of the changes are apparently "under the hood" so to speak in terms of efficiency and performance. Thankfully the user interface has been tweaked but not changed (as I understand it) and not as drastically as iOs7 on iPad and iPhone. I'm glad for although my mobile devices do work a bit better I don't care for the look of the iOs7 user interface with its simplistic and cartoony looking icons and such. Still, I am getting used to it.

14. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Targ is a dog though.

Well, it was meant to arrive when they officially retired the 160GB classic. But the Classic is still listed. So I guess mid-generation change, about June next year.

15. Tom Hendricks

I was also disappointed by the lack of Touch ID. However I recently dropped my iPad 2 and cracked my screen. While I did replace the screen, its not the same. I use my iPad a lot, especially with work. My wife even more so, so it is time for us to upgrade.

16. Tom Hendricks

I run Sketchup and it runs just fine on Mavericks. Yes, most of the changes are under the hood. While most of the Apps were redesigned, they aren't anywhere near what happen with iOS 7. Its well worth the FREE upgrade.

17. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I've read enough reviews as well as others stating their SketchUp running fine with Mavericks that I've decided to go for it. I'm downloading now.

Still, while the free download and upgrade is nice I miss the old hard disc install which I felt was much faster.

18. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

As with any major software update that I've ever encountered, I find that there a lot of random little things that bug me. Things that make me go, "Really? Did this need to be changed?" But overall, I'm sure it'll be fine. Just some little things I'm going to need to get used to.

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mavericks seems to be working well for me so far. No problems or complaints as yet. And I definitely like the end of skeumorphism...

20. Tom Hendricks

What's funny, I liked a few of the skeumorphism, especially the calendar. It looked like the old desk calendar I use to use at work. I kept everything on that calendar, kind of miss it.