The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PsychoPere, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

I say that Rick did not tell them for two reasons: 1. Jenner was acting all kinds of crazy. While a scientist, he had given up hope and was ready to die. Rick may not have fully trusted that Jenner was lucid. 2. Why destroy the group's hope if you don't know for sure?

That explains him wanting to hang Randall. You hang him and wait. If he reanimates without being bitten then you know for sure. He is suspended from the rafters away from poeple. You can then shoot him from a safe distance.

I am glad that he lost his shit with the group. I wanted to reach through the TV and stangle Lori. She practically begged him to kill Shane not too long ago.

I love that Daryl and Hershel were ready to hang on. Daryl is a loyal ole dog, and Hershel has accepted that he might be out of his depth.

I can understand T-Dawg wanted to head out. That was traumatic, even condsidering all they have been through.

I must say that Andrea's reprieve was all kinds of creepy. The lack of arms just sent shudders through my being.

2. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

I love how they drift away from the comic book storyline and then how they get back in line. That's one of the awesomest parts of the show.
    I wonder what would David Morrissey (sp?) look like... I can't picture him as a weaker version of Danny Trejo! :lol:

3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

So if they're already infected shouldn't a zombie bite not be so fatal?

4. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Even though they are all infected the pathogen strain is passive until the moment of death, then it becomes active. When they are are bit by a zombie, it's active strain passes to the victim thus causing the victim to die. Medically speaking this does happen in nature with various viruses that have dorment/active stages.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  5. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Everyone at work here watched the finale last night. We were talking about it on coffee break. :lol:

No, he shouldn't have. Rick was making many mistakes because of stress, sleep deprivation, and guilt. He does feel guilty for killing Shane and it shows in the way he told Lori and the group. That's what intrigues. There is still a soul in there though he's ready to crack. With Otis, Shane flat out lied. Rick didn't sugar coat, even when it would have benefitted him. Shane was "pushing me, pushing me." He should have emphasized more how dangerous Shane was. Shane did what he did to impress Lori and get her and Carl back. Rick always acted for the group, or at least he tried to do so.

That's the difference. At least that was my main desk clerk's interpretation and I agree with her. :) We all agreed that Lori could have put an end to the group's fear of Rick's possible future actions if she'd admitted that Shane tried to rape her at the CDC and she had to fight him off her. No one would have trusted Shane from then on, but no....she's mourning him. :vulcan: That woman is twisted. What other point in that flashback from the day Rick got shot in the earlier episode? She craves drama. She's not a good wife. She went all Lady MacBeth and then resented Rick for not playing the role of the good, non violent loyal lapdog.

Good thing for Rick that Daryl figured out what happened with Shane because of the tracks. At any rate, though the writers are crap with Lori (seriously Kirkman, she was mad at herself? :rolleyes:) they've set the Rick thing up so intriguingly for season 3. Who doesn't want to know what's going on with him? The one thing that worries me is the sword and sorcery character with the subued pet zombies. Seems jarringly out of place in this universe.

6. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This has been bugging me ever since the word got out that it was very possible they were all infected. The only explanation I can fathom that would make sense is that at some point a walker that doesn't get any food is going to die (for real permanent) and/or the ones trapped in the cars were basically mummified to a point past reanimation.

7. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

good call on the car people.

I don't think Lori is feeling bad exactly, I think she's feeling "omg what have I done" And now her son is involved.

As to Rick becoming leader, I've been giving this some thought. Remember Shane was clearly leading when rick showed up? I think Rick became the defacto leader because he had been Shane's superior officer on the force and Shane was just deferring to him out of habit and everyone else picked up on it.

8. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

Sort of joking on that one. There really was never a good time to tell them what Jenner said. Even the farm time was wrought with tension.

During his Ricktatership speech, he could've mentioned that Shane killed Otis, might've swayed the farm folk. Or it might have backfired, since the only ones who'd back him up have lost faith in Rick. I can see Lori saying "We don't know that for sure."

9. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nah, more like commanding officer than despot. Whether they like it or not, they need to operate like a fighting unit to survive, and "let's take a vote" doesn't work for that kind of situation. If anyone doesn't like it, he gave them the option to leave.

Pretty bad luck that out of 360 degrees of compass headings, the helicopter put the herd on a line to the farm!

I know nothing of the books, but the character that showed up at the end was pretty bizarre. I hope they can make it plausible.

Justin

10. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was plenty plausible in the comics. Michonne (pronounced "Mee-shawn", apparently - I'd been pronouncing it differently for ages now). is a major character in that media, and i hope it carries over here. I've believe that TWD has the same basic starting point in both comics and TV and have logically diverged since the end of the first episode. With Michonne and the Governor showing up next season I'd expect plenty other elements to be the same as well, but be believably handled differently in both cases.

This episode MOSTLY makes up for the preceding hours of people sitting around the farm talking about nothing (and not in the fun Seinfeld way). I'm not a fan of senseless zombie smashing, but TWD has a great story that sort of requires it for context. Unfortunately this season that great story was far too stretched out, and I think it will be remembered as such.

Without spoiling too much, the comics' prison arc has a LOT of story to mine for sixteen episodes (or more) next year, I hope that this (plus the budgetary savings of shooting on a studio or permanent set instead of on location all the time) will result in some great storytelling without sacrificing too much zombie mayhem. I hope that they advance the time frame too before Carl grows too far beyond where he started - his voice has already dropped noticeably, though it plays into his maturation as a young man.

I just hope they don't start next season with Carl being four inches taller without anyone noticing. :P

Mark

Mark

11. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've been watching this series off & on the whole time, but I gotta say, one factoid they mentioned in the "Talking Dead" segment made my day - the RV is the same make & model as the one in Spaceballs! :lol:

12. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Agreed, the way they are writing Lori's character is bizarre and/or downright sloppy because he behavior doesn't match the circumstances nor what she's asked Rick to do related to Shane.

Outside of that it was a great episode.

13. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Fantastic end to the season, right down to the emergence of Michonne and the "hidden" reveal of the prison. Don't think I really have anything to add to what others have already said.

The Governor was in charge of Woodbury when the group finds the prison. The prison location and the Governor storyline overlap, as the group is forced out of the prison when the Governor stages a massive attack upon it. In fact, it was a helicopter crash that caused the group to even meet the Woodbury inhabitants in the first place...

14. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Doesn't matter... He should have brought it to the table.. I really don't see a reason why he shouldn't have.

I'll also whole-heartedly agree that he did a poor job explaining Shane's death.. He got so caught up in "I wanted him to die" that Lori can't be blamed too much for glossing over the fact that Shane drew on him, epecially since he kind of mumbled his way through it.

That said, I REALLY don't like Lori at this point... Time for her to go.

15. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

However, the fact that you do not accept his explanation does not mean he did not give the explanation in the first place.

16. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Too soon for the shark?? ;)

17. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I think Rick made the right call in not telling them about the infection thing. The group was already feeling as low and hopeless as can be, and learning that they were all doomed to be a zombies no matter WHAT they did certainly wouldn't have helped matters.

Plus, after seeing all those dead bodies in the cars, he probably felt Jenner had been proven wrong anyway, and there was no need to bring it up.

18. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

McGinley? You want to turn this into some kind of horror show? :eek:

Bah, all those people in the cars reanimated right on schedule. They were stuck there and then they eventually died again. Some couldn't figure out how to work the seat belts. Others, the door handles. :p

19. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

20. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Lori definitely isn't my favorite character, but for the most part I think she's been written pretty well on the show. It's only natural that someone would have such conflicting emotions in her situation, and even though part of her realizes Shane was a threat, there's still a good chance he WAS the father of her baby.

And much like with Rick, her anger seemed more a reaction to the fact it had to be done at ALL, given how all three used to be such good friends.

Plus, sometimes people just get angry and act in strange, irrational ways. Or lash out for no reason. Especially when it's the end of the freakin world. I hardly expect everyone to be charming and likeable in that situation, and find it strange that somehow fans expect that she should be.