Star Wars Episode 7 - 2015

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been mulling that very question, but I think Star Wars is more dependent on its big name characters than Star Trek, which has diversified beyond merely Kirk & Spock over the years. The average person could probably name some other characters like Picard, Data and Worf, but ask then for Star Wars characters beyond the ones in the movies, and you'll get a blank stare.

Remember, both franchises are in the same boat, they must appeal to a large, global, casual audience who has never read a tie in novel and has no idea about anything that hasn't been produced for movies or TV.

Envision two marketing campaigns. One says "Star Wars" and has a bunch of people nobody recognizes. The other says "Star Wars" and has a young blond guy with a lightsaber, a young brunette woman with cinnabuns and a guy wearing a gunslinger looking outfit. Which does a better job of grabbing the attention of the causal passerby?

And keep in mind the article I posted a bit above this one - Star Wars is not a slam dunk. It will have a lot of competition, some of it from Disney. The appetite for action-fantasy movies is large but not infinite.

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Star Wars really isn't in the same boat as Star Trek. Start up the John Williams theme, show some Jedi kicking ass with lightsabers, a few shots of an epic space battle here and there, and most people will be sold on that alone. The casual, global audience doesn't really view the PT with the same disdain as do angry fanboys. There hasn't already been five TV shows and ten movies to drive the franchise into the ground. People's awareness of and desire for more Star Wars hasn't waned. The reaction to this news makes that clear.

3. KalEl

KalEl Lieutenant Commander

Star Wars was in the same with Star trek maybe around the late 80s-mid 90s. Star Wars is so huge now, it's an unstoppable machine. Most of the people I know who are just casual fans, love the PT. You figure, the kids who watched the PT are now in their twenties, they love the trilogies and they will be happy to see more. Star Trek is on life support and the 09 film is a distant memory for most. If this next movie sucks, Star Trek will be shelved indefinitely. If Episode 7 sucks, people will just wait for Episode 8. People love light sabers and Jedi mind tricks a laser battles, they don't care so much for pointy eared guys dishing out philosophy and utopian societies that seek out new civilizations. That may be sad, but it's true.

4. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Temis: as long as there are lightsabers, Jedi fighting with them, and the accepted sound effects/music, the global casual audience will totally get that this new movie is Star Wars. Those aspects are much more recognisable & important than Luke, Leia or Han. Hell, I'd suggest that even R2D2/C3PO are more strongly visually linked to SW than the three human heroes. Of course, suited Vader & Yoda are the characters most strongly associated with SW. I have no doubt they'll find a way to get Yoda in the EpVII (Force Ghost), and probably Vader-in-suit too (flashback sequence).

5. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

6. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

Excuse me,but why should Carrie Fisher's looks even be considered here? Somehow, I don't see her donning the metal bikini, and unless you expect Leia to be that sort of character throughout all her life, you shouldn't either, and if you do, you're sorely mistaken. However, cast her in the role of seasoned, perhaps cynical Senator in the New Republic; dress her in modest clothing; give her a role that isn't engaged in action, etc. etc. There are tons of ways to depict Leia as an older woman, a matriarchal figure for which she need not look like a fashion model.

7. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

9. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

If they did bring back an older Leia, I wonder how they would depict her Force powers. She never really used them in the OT, aside from a vague telepathic bond with Luke. CGI Leia doing crazy flips with a lightsaber while fighting some a new bad guy in the Senate chambers!

10. RevDMV

RevDMV Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The lightsaber in the Haunted House was perfect.

11. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

I guess she could run in on Luke or one of her (or his) kids getting a whooping and give them a force electric zap to save them

12. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

This is a steal for Disney. Only 2Billion in cash? When blockbusters can make near a billion just on release (not counting videos or merchandise) there's a guaranteed return here.

It could be that Disney wouldn't need to make a single frame of film to profit from this. Just put some Mickey ears on Vader helmets and you've made all your money back!

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just don't see SW fans putting up with recasting. Look how long it took Trekkies to get used to the Abramsverse.

I like it. :)

Okay, perhaps the American Graffiti reference was stretching things a bit. But they don't have to go THAT far. :p I definitely like the THX reference though...

14. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Just to lighten the mood... There are some pretty clever mashups posted over on blastr.

Star Wars/Disney

15. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

You say that like it's already happened.

16. Temis the Vorta

Because it's Hollywood, babe! :D it's a cruel biz.

But Mark Hamill is subject to the same unfair judgment. Just look at his great movie career, oh wait, he didn't have one, despite being a perfectly good actor as proven by his voice work. But his looks went south very quickly at a surprisingly young age, and that was all she wrote.

Harrison Ford is in the class of actors who build their name up to brand-name status and can become exempt to some degree to the looksism of Hollywood. But even in his case, nobody is going to be building a Star Wars movie around him at this point. It will either be familiar characters played by young and pretty actors or new characters played by young and pretty actors.

17. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Disney to Acquire Lucasfilm

They should have made the announcement on December 21. It would give a whole new meaning to this "end of the cycle" thing.

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Good point!

19. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Not yet. Give it time.

20. Temis the Vorta

Yes. Because Paramount is chagrined by their mistake and is putting Shatner, Nimoy et all in the next movie after having lost their shirts on the last picture due to the overwhelming wrath of Trekkies. ;)

News flash, no summer popcorn movies are being made for "fans." They are all made for a global audience of casual viewers who don't care who plays Han Solo anymore than they cared who played James T. Kirk. To Disney, Abrams' resurrection of Star Trek is a fine achievement and possibly provides a model to follow to similar financial success.