Sisko intimidates Worf

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Sadara, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Sadara

Sadara Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I loved how Sisko enjoyed finding out he intimidates Worf. What I'm curious about is how Sisko is able to intimidate Worf when Picard couldn't. Worf got in Picard's face in First Contact, but he does seem more... reserved around Sisko.

2. Danger Ace

Danger Ace Commander Red Shirt

In general, I always thought it odd how subserviant to authority Worf was. In the beginning I think it was due to GR's rule against crew conflict and justified by his trying to be accepted. In the movies TPTB knew they had to toughen him up. As for Sisko? I would chalk it up to the difference in overall demeanor. A blind person could feel the difference between Picard and Sisko without any words being spoken or physical contact being made.

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

It's the goatee and shaved head. If only Picard had known...

4. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It probably came from when he learned Sisko punched Q. Even deep down Worf didn't have the brass to hit Q as much as he disliked him.

5. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

There is also the scene in Rules of Engagement where Sisko gives Work a world-class ass-chewing. Epic stuff.

6. Elias Vaughn

Elias Vaughn Captain Captain

Picard was a diplomat. Sisko was a general.

May have been some Klingon stereotyping going on there too.

7. Sadara

Even Q couldn't believe it. "You hit me! Picard never hit me!

8. Admiral_Sisko

Admiral_Sisko Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Before that, there was also the scene in Sisko's office during Sons of Mogh. The scene starts off with Sisko glaring at Worf across his desk, with the latter staring at his boots. Clearly, Sisko made Worf uncomfortable.

9. Danger Ace

Danger Ace Commander Red Shirt

Let's also remember Q went on state that Picard was not as easily provoked to rash action. I say that even though I greatly liked the Sisko character far more than Picard.

10. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

People need to repeatedly remind Q of this, every time he claims to be "omniscient."

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

11. Sadara

I got on netflix and watched that scene again just because it had been so long. Worf (though understandably so) had difficulty reconciling Klingon customs with Starfleet regs. He got in trouble with Picard for killing Duras and then does something somewhat similar in Sons of Mogh which gets him in trouble with Sisko. I like how Jadzia had to save Worf from Sisko at the end of that scene. Picard did a formal reprimand, but didn't chew Worf's ass with quite the ferocity that Sisko did. Wonder which one Worf felt was less intimidating. :P

12. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

Sisko and Picard have different personalities.

Sisko is bolder and more intense than Picard. It's a no brainer lol.

13. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sisko demands more from his officers than Picard. Jean-Luc was always a relatively laid back commander of his men (and women, and androids), a more magnanimous presence who sought advice and proceeded based on that. Sisko is more battle-hardened. From the very start of the show we see that his life in Starfleet has resulted in him getting an edge to him. He's less likely to give his officers the same autonomy that Picard often did. If any of them step out of line they'll soon know about it. Worf, of course, was still adjusting to having joined Deep Space Nine from the Enterprise, and was finding his feet with his new commander. Sisko giving Worf a hard time is as much about establishing that he won't tolerate as much as Picard used to.

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Picard can be very intimidating if he wants. Witness the scene in "Lower Decks" when he gives Ensign Sito a very stern dressing down down for something she did in her past. Also as the Klingon Arbiter of Succession he can curse with the best of them.

Picard lets Riker and Troi handle whatever issues his crew might have, since he might look a little unapproachable to the regular crew. He is certainly the most "serious" of the five captains we have gotten to know over the years.

15. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sisko is more liable to go crazy at any moment, he gets his hands dirty with his crew.

Picard generally let Riker deal with the disciplinary issues, Riker his Picard's "muscle"

Sisko didn't have a real first officer like Picard had, well he had Kira but she was her own woman and worked "alongside" rather than "with" or "for" Sisko. And Jadzia wasn't the one to deal with that kind of thing.

The dynamic aboard enterprise was different, notice in First Contact Riker had to be not on the bridge when Worf kicked off because otherwise the writers would have had to have him do something.

Notice the symbolism a lot of Riker standing just behind picard, staring. Also note that while Picard is a small, older man Riker is a lot younger and a big brutish looking man.

He's his henchman

[​IMG]

16. R. Star

Picard's intimidating because he's the wise, cultured man teething with moral superiority and who's disappointment really is hard to bear.

Sisko's intimidating because he may punch you in the face at any moment. Different command styles.

17. bluepicard27

bluepicard27 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

i think its because sisko had done alot of action-y in his career the tzenkethi war,wolf 359 ,punching Q hes a proven warrior.
    picard gets his respect in a sort "dont lip me off ive been doing this a very long time" sort of way.
    so in worf's eyes sisko probably gets alot respect in that way.

18. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

I think it makes perfect sense that Worf is so "subserviant" to authority and therefore is intimidated by a superior. He thrives under strong leadership and kind of falters when left to his own devices. As a Klingon, I'm sure its a great honor to serve loyally under a worthy leader. I thought it was a nice little character nugget that Worf is intimidated hy sisko and there is definitely evidence that he probably feels the same way about Picard and even Martok.

19. Sadara

I'm not sure Worf is intimidated by Picard. He flat got right in Picard's face in First Contact when Picard called him a coward. I can't see Worf doing that with Sisko.

20. R. Star

Of course the possibility exists that Dax, who's known for her mischievous nature, did just make that up to yank Sisko's chain.