RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,709
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 474
Newest member: kamkaran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old September 15 2014, 10:25 PM   #1696
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Re: Wiped Episode Discoveries

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Candlelight wrote: View Post
Oh and as of nine hours ago Philip Morris has come out and said he's limiting his exposure to social media following the DWM article.
You mean the booze in his cupboard has run out and he's sobering up with a hangover?
Glad someone else posted that for me.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2014, 04:07 PM   #1697
The Wormhole
Admiral

inflatabledalek wrote: View Post
Something that tends to get a bit lost amidst all the discussion about the departure of the lead man is how conspicuous the absence of Ahearne is after the first year of the revival. He episodes were well received, no one seems to have a bad word to say about him and he surely can't have been fully booked everytime they've been filming in the last decade but he's not been seen since. Not to suggest any sort of conspiracy- it could just be as simple as him not being interested in directing any more Who- but equally it's highly unlikely they'd have gotten him for the 50th even if Eccleston
would really have only done it if he'd been there.
As I understand, Ahearne didn't enjoy the experience of being on Doctor Who and found his time with the show was having a negative effect on his personal life and chose not to come back. So yeah, even if this were a serious request from Eccleston, it's unlikely he'd have gotten his wish anyway. Unless Ahearne likes working with Eccleston as much as Eccleston likes working with him.
Old September 16 2014, 04:13 PM   #1698
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
So yeah, even if this were a serious request from Eccleston, it's unlikely he'd have gotten his wish anyway. Unless Ahearne likes working with Eccleston as much as Eccleston likes working with him.
And had it be the case, they could have worked on anything else together, i.e. not something they don't enjoy that much, like Doctor Who.
Old September 16 2014, 04:40 PM   #1699
Relayer1
Commodore

StCoop wrote: View Post
it's time that Doctor Who fandom reunited, we all started being nice to each other again.
Again ?

There's something very VERY weird about Who fandom. I'm only on the far periphery of it, but people I know describe a long history of factional bickering, one upmanship, poor behaviour, betrayal, backstabbing and outright unreasoning, unremitting hatred.

I relise Who has been going for so long things have had plenty of time to fragment and become acrimonious, but for crying out loud, it's a bloody T.V. show...
Old September 16 2014, 05:26 PM   #1700
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Maybe it is time for another Doctor in Distress record type campaign.....Wiped Episodes in Distress.

No, best just to let him burn them. lol

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2014, 06:56 PM   #1701
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
There's something very VERY weird about Who fandom. I'm only on the far periphery of it, but people I know describe a long history of factional bickering, one upmanship, poor behaviour, betrayal, backstabbing and outright unreasoning, unremitting hatred.

I relise Who has been going for so long things have had plenty of time to fragment and become acrimonious, but for crying out loud, it's a bloody T.V. show...
I think a lot of the problems in Who fandom stem from the unavailability of the series for such a long time. Star Trek fandom had daily reruns in the 1970s. Doctor Who fandom had memories of how things used to be. There were dividing lines based on how far back one had seen. There were people who had access to the past and people who wanted access to the past. One's fandom could be measured -- and judged -- by what one had seen, by what one remembered, by what one had kept along the way. Doctor Who fandom wasn't a casual fandom by any means.

Maybe Doctor Who fandom would have been in a better place psychologically if the BBC had done daily reruns in the afternoons after school. Of course, that would have meant different contracts with the various unions, and that would have meant money, and why would the BBC ever want to spend money?

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2014, 08:31 PM   #1702
Lonemagpie
Writer

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Yep, that's Dr Who fandom. I suspect a lot of fandoms are like that on some level; organised fandoms especially. But Dr Who fandom is in a class of its own.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2014, 10:21 PM   #1703
Candlelight
Admiral

Phil Morris has again made a statement on the missing episodes facebook group, saying how he came into social media as a Dr Who fan first and foremost, and accepts his position elevates him to the standard of the current production team, etc. He said he's gonna make sure he keeps his fan and director of TIEA views separate from now on. Finally, he finished with this statemnt (which no doubt will be echoed around news sites):

Finally a message to all Dr Who fans interested in my work. I work in an unbelievably dangerous environment. As far as I know nobody else has gone into the volatile regions that I have. It is a wonderful job to search for lost World national heritage TV but a very precarious one. If I choose to give vague answers to repeated questions about my findings then there is a very good reason for this.
In time all shall be revealed. And when that moment comes all interested parties shall find full explanations for the myriad of topics and questions associated with me and my job both past and present, nothing shall be left out. Until then...

Patience is a virtue.

Keep believing and watch this space.
Old September 17 2014, 10:30 PM   #1704
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

I suspect it just means he's got more leads he's following, he doesn't want to mess the leads up, but nothing concrete. That seems to be what those emails indicated as well.

I'm sure when all is revealed, it won't be that exciting. The guy is a lunatic so it's hard to take anything at face value now.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2014, 12:10 AM   #1705
Candlelight
Admiral

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
The guy is a lunatic so it's hard to take anything at face value now.
I don't know why fans are turning on him. He had a drunken rant. Big deal. Get over it. It's only been news sites that have used his aforementioned elevated status to makes news of this. Who fans bitch about shit like this all the time but we don't make a front papers.

Speaking of news sites, Doctor Who Worldwide have apologised for the past year of spreading rumours:

http://doctorwhoworldwide.com/2014/0...at-retraction/
Old September 18 2014, 02:54 AM   #1706
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^ It was for an extended and many of the things he wrote were just plain whacky!
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2014, 11:12 AM   #1707
StCoop
Commodore

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
^ It was for an extended and many of the things he wrote were just plain whacky!
Plus he had at least one false Twitter account that he used for months to (a) praise himself, (b) attack Ian Levine and eventually (c) attack everybody.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2014, 11:37 PM   #1708
Lonemagpie
Writer

I'd take the "all will be revealed" thing to mean he'll be writing a Memoir when he stops travelling in search of stuff. Let's hope he lays off the booze...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote