How is janeway going to warn Temporal Investigations about Braxton?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Guy Gardener, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

the Department of temporal investigation is real. They are clerks who have offices on 24th century Earth and file reports that are forwarded to the Admiralty. Paper pushing office monkeys in black pyjamas who we met in Trials and Tribblations. So I'm not talking about nebulous 29th century timecops patrolling the frontier. It's like comparing the OSS to the CIA, right?

Does Janeway have to tell the Department of Temporal Investigations that Braxton is "perhaps" destined to destroy Earth's solar system in just 500 years time, or is she concerned that that would muck up the computer revolution of the 1970s, or are thay already living in a new time line that these grandfatyhering triggers are not necessary because Janeways and Braxtons from already demolished timelines cemented their history... Or Kathy should just trust fate?

Someone is going to have to think about sterilizing Braxton's parents or grandparents, just to make certain that Earth doesn't pop like a zit.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: How is janeway going to warn Temporal Investigations about Braxton

Read Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations: Watching the Clock to see how the time cops of the different eras work together. Whoever's around that's from furthest in the future gets juradstiction in a case.

3. Sandoval

Sandoval Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

She could carve a message into the surface of the moon with drilling-phasers so that Starfleet is acutely aware of Braxton for centuries before he is born.

4. Sandoval

There's only ever one timecop.

[​IMG]

5. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

Janeway would violate the Temporal Prime Directive if she did tell anything to Temporal Investigations.

Though I'm pretty sure that Temporal Investigations have an isolated “cleanroom” department that doesn't interact with the rest of the world to which people can confess experiences that would otherwise violate the Temporal PD, without that having any effect on history, which can then decide whether the information should be shared with anyone else or kept secret.

It would be interesting, however, what would be the status of that if this department was removed in 25th century, and no longer mentioned in the Temporal PD, and given that Braxton's XO told Janeway to share her experiences with no-one – did he take such change into account, and which version should Janeway ultimately follow?

And I think they might have violated the temporal PD by imprisoning Braxton earlier than they should have, but then again they probably don't really know if they did, and they would be also violating it if they didn't. I mean, they obviously messed with the time line in both cases, now whether that's enough to constitute a violation, I don't know.

P.S. The two guys from the department of TI are certainly in my list of “love at first sight” characters. And the look that Dax gave after their encounter was priceless. You certainly don't want to mess with them. I'm pretty sure that neither Ducane nor the alien helmsman would want to mess with them either, so 24th century wins!

6. Guy Gardener

"Clean room" great term. I was thinking that it was more like seal of the confessional with the catholics. It's their job to collect up all the dangerous and miscellaneous (all) time stuff and lock it away until the future is ready, much like with Warehouse 13's charter.

In season 6's relativity Janeway had never heard of "The Temporal Prime Directive" so does that mean that by season 7's Shattered, that Janeway was ("You have to learn how to think more Fourth Dimensionally Marty!") obeying laws that hadn't been written yet into the Amendments to the Starfleet Charter or the Federation Legal Code or had she had lawyers on board Voyager drafting new law? A treaty with a world is practically a "law" which just needs a cursory ratification by the Federation Council which makes a Captain like an (almost) binding arbitrator if you think about it, wow. Janeway returned from the other side of the galaxy with the exact laws necessary to criminalize the actions of Admiral Janeway. She's like Space-Rosencrantz and Space-Guildenstern delivering their own execution orders to the Space-king of Space-England.

Yes, Daniel, I should read that book.

At this point in time, Starfleet was bound by the Temporal Displacement Policy which seemed more to be about being lost in time then voyaging forth with an agenda.

I thought Bruce Campbell was a much better Time Cop in the TV series, but Jason Scott Lee in the second movie was balls.

7. Sandoval

All I'm saying is that if Jean-Claude Van Damme had come back in that timeship then shit would have got sorted a whole lot quicker and with far more roundhouse kicks then it did in Future's End.

Ed Begley Jr. certainly wouldn't have mugged Jean-Claude Van Damme's timeship to cannibalise for parts. A few roundhouse kicks to his tree-hugging head would have put paid to that little enterprise.

8. Guy Gardener

The only way Janeway could kick some one in the head is if they were laying down on the ground. Or if she was falling from height towards their head. Or if she ripped her leg off to use as a bat. But that's really batting and not kicking, isn't it?

9. Sandoval

You could probably make a convincing argument either way.

10. The Dominion

The Dominion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wouldn't mind seeing Seven high kick someone though, maybe Janeway would order her to do that. And then B'Elanna was basically the attack dog of the ship. I'm surprised they didn't send her out to take a swing at intruders more, but I guess her lack of protocol was a liability.

11. The Dominion

"Well, I'm not going home. I'm gonna get on my shuttle, and I'm going into the cube, and I'm going to kick that Borg Queen's ass so hard that the next Borg Queen wannabe is gonna feel it! Now, who wants to go home... and who wants to go with me?"

12. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

1. Janeway wouldn't need to highkick someone in the head. She would Dismissive Hand Wave them into next week.

2. She's going to warn everyone by distracting HoloDaVinci and writing "This is a fake" on the Mona Lisa.

13. The Dominion

1. And if that doesn't work?

2. Because the holodeck is capable of time travel?

14. Guy Gardener

It pissed me right off when the doctor didn't say "This is a fake" under his breath when he saw the Mona Lisa on Platform One in the The End of the World in the year 5 billion.

And then there was that Sarah Jane Episode.

I doubt that Mulgrew can kick that high, but maybe Janeway can?

15. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

1. Nothing beats the Dismissive Hand Wave. Harry Kim got DHWed back in the first Silver Blood episode, and he never made it past ensign. And it wasn't even the real Harry Kim.

2. Wibbly wobbly timey wimey?

16. The Dominion

Anyone can DHW Ensign Kim, that's what he was there for.

17. Guy Gardener

Oh, so now there's a "reason" for why Kim is there, next fuck it you'll justify his being born.

18. The Dominion

Well, it may have been a developed reason. Like they had no other use for him, so to justify the loss of air they made him the DHW guy. Why else do you think he got to come to all the Senior Officer meetings? They needed someone to yell at off camera.

19. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.

That was the Fourth Doctor who did that... :vulcan:

20. Guy Gardener

No, the Doctor wrote it on the canvas, in effect underneath the painting, so what Janeway would be doing is making a "This is a fake" sandwich where Mona Lisa is the meat getting it from both ends with lible.