Dollhouse 2x2 "Instinct" tonight 10/2 Grade-Discuss **Spoilers**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Oct 2, 2009.

?

Grade "Instinct" Dollhouse S2ep2

Poll closed Jan 10, 2010.
  1. EXCELLENT

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. ABOVE AVERAGE

9 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. AVERAGE

11 vote(s)
    30.6%
  4. BELOW AVERAGE

7 vote(s)
    19.4%
  5. POOR

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

If I were an ex-active, I'm not sure I'd be trusting enough to sit in that damn chair again for a "checkup." :borg:

2. Iasius

Iasius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I suppose in that case you aren't the type who would sign up to be an active in the first place. ;)

3. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The problem seems to be, that it's not healthy to tweak a complete personality imprint while it's in the brain.
    So I guess he could do those upgrades by tweaking her original personality imprint while she's not using it, i.e. wiping her for a short time, making the changes to the imprint and then reimprint her.

4. Whettestone

Whettestone Captain Captain

I want Miracle Laurie to breastfeed me.

5. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

I guess if you want to pick THAT nit, they'll NEVER be "exactly" who they were before they became Dolls.

6. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I don't think it's a nit-pick. It's fairly central to the series: after a "brain wipe," can they ever really go back to being who they were before?

7. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Up to the resolution at which their original brain patterns were stored, I'd say yes.

It's the same problem as the transporter, really.

8. Forbin

On the other hand Caroline's a LOT more interesting as Echo than she was as a loonie animal-lab activist.

9. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, Caroline struck me as a one-dimensional, stereotypical liberal activist. Whedon didn't seem to put a whole lot into her backstory.

Wow, she's an animal's right activist who breaks into labs where they do experiments on animals. How original...

10. PurpleBuddha

PurpleBuddha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A few people described this as a filler episode. While partially true, it is clear the show is building toward Echo becoming a sort of super heroish bad ass free from the Doll house and able to call upon the various skills of different personalities she has had. They needed her to "wake up" and remember all her experiences and needed a strong emotional catalyst for this. That is what they tried to explain in the episode when talking about the physiological response being something that could not be wiped.

You might say that this show moved us further forward as to what could be around the corner than any others have so far. Then again, the way this show tends to go, next week's episode could begin with Echo having forgot everything.

11. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

One of those questions or parallels to me is this corallary: Actives sign up to be actives. They willing sign their life away for 5 years, sacrificing that time, in exchange for wealth.
    As people too many of us sign up for our profession/occupation and many become absorbed into that. Often times not knowing they've sacrificed quality time with loved ones. Friends drift away cause "climbing the ladder" became more important.

At least an Active did it on purpose. I'm sure more parallels exist.

Me too Dennis. Over at Dollverse.com word comes down that this Friday could possibly be the last aired episode of the 7 filmed from an order of 13. Unless there is a rating uptick they will not call the actors back from break and Fox will pull the show from the schedule.

12. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Okay, I'm an idiot.

Where the hell is that clip from? I have no memory of that scene at all. Has my brain been wiped?

:confused: :lol:

Anyway, I just watched the first two episodes of the season. Does it seem like the tone has changed? The show seems different to me.

It looks like they're really going to address the consequences of being a Doll. And yes I thought for sure the politician's wife is a Doll.

I gave it an above average, and will keep watching until it's canceled, which I am pretty sure it will be.

And I don't care what anyone says, Miracle Laurie is magnificent.

:techman:

13. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Epitaph One It's on the season one dvds, and it aired overseas. It's also the best I've seen from the Dollhouse franchise.

14. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Wait, so there's an unaired (in the US) episode? Geez, where have I been???

Okay, so I am missing something, just not memories....

:lol:

15. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Yep, since they dumped the original pilot there was no longer 13 episodes. 20th Century Fox had sold the rights 13 episodes season to international channels and DVD, so they commissioned an extra episode which Fox network didn't order, so it was exclusive to DVD in the US.

16. Forbin

There's a Dollhouse franchise? :cardie:

17. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Anyone know what the DVR and online viewership is for the show? I realize Dollhouse isn't going to survive past it's 13-episode second season with ratings this low, but I'd like for Joss to have a chance to produce the entire season and maybe even add an element of closure in the last episode or two.

18. Colin Xavier

Colin Xavier Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Rumors are stirring that FOX might yank Dollhouse off the air :(

19. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't realize the ratings were this bad, I try not to follow them very closely, since I deal with crap like that at work.

Maybe they can change it's slot, since there's nothing good to pair it with right now.

20. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

^yep,SGU actually had better ratings.