BBC Developing British "Heimat"

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Bob The Skutter, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I can't say I've ever seen, or heard of the German Heimat but it does sound like an interesting idea for a series.

2. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I saw Heimat years ago. It was very good. And as I saw it as a teenager, I do remember, it having lots of sex which was a plus. A big one. :drool:

The word Heimat means Homeland, IIRC, so the title Village may not be quite as evocative, but it's presumably a format which will travel well, regardless of location, so long as the writing is good. I haven't seen either of the Criminal Justice series, but they got rave reviews, so I imagine that Mr Moffat will certainly provide that.

3. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

I would have thought that "Hearth and Home" or "Heartland" would have been a better translation.

4. Captaindemotion

^ I'm not going to argue - that was just my recollection of what it meant. Either way, those terms are more evocative or emotional than The Village.

5. Bob The Skutter

Well if they're going for the point of view of The Village rather than of 1 family then I suppose it makes sense.

6. Asbo Zaprudder

Sorry, I didn't mean your translation. "Heimat" doesn't really have a simple English word or phrase as its equivalent. According to Germans with whom I've discussed this, it's like an intense feeling of attachment to community or region, and the rejection of outside influences. As you say, "The Village" doesn't convey those emotions. All it does is remind me of the rubbish film of the same name. It's a wonder the BBC didn't call it "Hamlet".

7. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Sounds interesting, when I sae the name Moffat though I wondered just how much spare time Steven had, then I realised it was Peter :lol:

8. Bob The Skutter

I think that would then be confused with Shakespeare.

9. Asbo Zaprudder

Maybe I needed to add a :rolleyes:.

10. Bob The Skutter

Why? That would seem to indicate you think The Village is a stupid and/or misleading name. Which it isn't from the description the show will revolve around the events in the village set against the historical backdrop.

11. Captaindemotion

No worries, my German only extends as far as ordering a beer, a coffee or an appel strudel; I just had a vague recollection of hearing that translation for the title some time ago. I think we're essentially in agreement about the attachment/ emotive nature of the word, which doesn't really translate to English in any simple single word - certainly not 'Village.'

But at the end of the day, if the programme is good, that's the important thing.

12. Bob The Skutter

Probably Heartland would be a better word to evoke the same sort of meaning, but it seems it's supposed to be an equivalent and not necessarily an adaptation of the same show.

13. Captaindemotion

^ They might be afraid that Heartland would be confused with Heartbeat, heaven forbid!

14. Bob The Skutter

I'm surprised there hasn't been a Heartbeat spin off called Heartland already...

15. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

'Home' would have been an equivalent title. But since it's set in a village I don't think 'The Village' is a bad title.

My first thought was, "Doctor Who and a new series? Steven Moffat sure is busy these days." :lol:

16. Bob The Skutter

Don't forget Sherlock Holmes.

17. Count Zero

I had forgotten. He's a workaholic, isn't he?

18. Bob The Skutter

Well this show isn't Steven Moffat, it's Peter Moffat.

19. Count Zero

I know. I meant with Sherlock Holmes and all. On the other hand, Russel T Davies had time to develop two spin-off series while he was in charge of Doctor Who, so it's probably not that unusual. Or they're both workaholics. ;)

20. I Grok Spock

I Grok Spock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I remember watching this twenty years ago in college. I think it was on PBS. I also don't think it was subtitled, because we entertained ourselves making up the story as we didn't understand German.