Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by daedalus5, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SilentP

SilentP Commodore Commodore

As the game progresses, you learn to get used to the number of bridge officer abilities. It's worse in this mission though, since you're scrambling to figure out what all the powers you have are, even if you're used to flying a VA ship. The progression through the game gives you a chance to get used to the powers as you get bigger ships.

As for automating powers, may be able to do the same thing as you can with weapons, i.e. right click the activate icon so it has a green border and will continue to activate after the first use.

2. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just ability-mashed and spammed 'fire all weapons'.

3. Jim Gamma

Jim Gamma This space left blank intentionally. Rear Admiral

^I just put weapons on autofire, and used my left hand to steer, right hand to activate powers with the mouse. That's my normal modus operandi anyway, so no big change.

4. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

They were at the Tholian work camp.

5. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

Your crew will use their abilities during battle, but perhaps not as fast as you like. Put the critical ones you need to where you can punch them yourself. I haven't tried the suggestion from SilentP, but will check it out next time.

I need to find someone that calculated all the rotations/cooldowns and got it down to a science. :-)

6. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

This did not work with crew abilities, but I didn't know how to set autofire on the weapons, either, so between that....
    ....and this, I think I've got a working strategy for running everything. Thanks guys. :techman:

7. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Refresh my memory how to enable autofire. I nominally maneiver with my right hand and fire with my left.

8. Capn Flukie

Capn Flukie Fleet Admiral Admiral

I steer with the keyboard keys and hit the fire all button with my mouse with all weapons on autofire. :lol:

Right-click on your weapon to set it to auto-fire, it's border should blink green when activated.

9. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks for the tip. it makes things easier.

10. Dale Sams

So the only way to get Omega marks is to do "team-up" missions? Is that correct?

11. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

No. You can gather Omega Marks on Defera solo, just not as fast.

12. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't played STO in a while, because of some issues with internet being really slow. Now that that's fixed, I wanted to try again.

During loading, my Windows Firewall pops up and blocked something called GameClient.exe by Cryptic. Can I allow this through my firewall, or is it something hazardous??

13. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

You can allow it access to the internet. The game client is the interface that connects to the cryptic game servers.

14. Dale Sams

Ahhh...this is my first time at Defera. Very cool. It's nice to do ground combat without the confusion of my landing party around. Also feels like a real MMO* with other players running around helping each other. I played for about 8 months, then quit, and was daunted by trying to relearn the game, but I think I've got the hang of it again.

*Of course the level of the MMO experience is up to me. I just don't like teaming up with others (except for the red alert), but the random appearance of a real person is very cool.

15. Dale Sams

So besides an amount of Zen per month, what else do subscribers get that F2Pers don't?

16. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Just be aware that "not quite as fast" is an understatement.

Once you get good at group-based STF missions, you can easily earn close to 300 Omega Marks, 3000 Dilithium and a nice handful of change in under an hour's time. To earn the same amount on Defera would probably take a full week's worth of effort.

Having said that, STFs can be challenging and difficult and at times frustrating to less experienced players. There are players who will shout at you if you don't know what to do. For someone starting to play STFs for the first time, I suggest first playing STFs with your guild or any friends you have. Have them show you what to do, what not to do. Above all else, do not join public (random) STF groups as you usually get a bunch of inexperienced players who won't know what to do, resulting in failure.

17. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

I'm just going to quote what I've said a couple of weeks ago:

18. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks Timelord!!

19. TheRoyalFamily

TheRoyalFamily Commodore Commodore

There's also the option of Normal STF's, which are not nearly as difficult, and the random groups generally can succeed, and even get the bonuses a lot of the time (though the bonus is what, four marks?). The rewards aren't nearly as good as Elite, but they are still faster than Defera, and you don't even have to talk to your team; as long as you have a clue as to what to do, you can almost always salvage a round with a horrible group by yourself.

20. Capn Flukie

Capn Flukie Fleet Admiral Admiral

My other toon, Commander Tarah Esk Taval would like to join the TrekBBS Fleet;

Tarah@thekeyser49

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.