You're the Editor- 2015 Edition

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by ryan123450, Feb 12, 2014.

1. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Perhaps once they finally reach the destruction of Romulus which it seems they have been rushing to over the past several years, the books will finally slow down again. At the rate we've been proceeding in the timeline, all our characters will be old and grey before long.

2. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

If I was editor, I'd leave things as is with two exceptions: each of the five series would produce three books a year set within their respective series-timeframes, and I'd do away with ebook exclusives. Everything would be printed first, then, later, if there was a demand for it, then the ebooks, but they'd be a secondary consideration.

3. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I'm already thinking ahead to 2016, which is the 50th anniversary of STAR TREK. Need to come up with something up good for that . . ..

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I've been thinking about the anniversary myself, although I've already committed to an ENT novel that year, so the timing could be tricky.

5. Greg Cox

I'm thinking TOS, of course, but how is that different from usual? :)

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why do you want them to stop releasing the e-book versions on the same day as the paperbacks? I don't see what it would accomplish by making the e-book readers wait.
    I can barely understand people having a problem with e-book exclusives, but I really don't understand what the problem would be with e-books being released simultaneously with the paperbacks, as far as I know one does not effect the other.

7. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Some new Deep Space nine stand alone stories that weren't part of a crossover series that included a larger role for different Charcters like Ben Sisko and Captain Ro I like her being in command of the new station . Miles 'O brien in a story would be nice.

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd love to read in-universe memoirs of prominent Trek characters...

9. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Any (extremely) rough projections on when your movie-era TOS novel might be possibly slotted into the release calendar yet, Greg?

10. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

11. Greg Cox

12. Leto_II

Excellent news -- I somehow hadn't caught that, so great to hear we'll be getting it this year. ;)

13. ryan123450

Anything more specific you can say about the timing of the book more than "movie era"?

14. Greg Cox

I don't think it's a secret. It's set somewhere between the fifth and sixth movies. I haven't quite settled on precisely when, but closer to the fifth movie than the sixth. (Sulu hasn't taken charge of the Excelsior yet.)

15. ryan123450

Awesome! I love that era! Is Saavik aboard ship?

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Well, in the DC comics, at least, Saavik didn't rejoin the crew until just after Sulu left.

17. Greg Cox

I'm afraid not. We don't see Saavik in the movies after that brief bit in TVH and I didn't really want to have to explain where she's been or why she's back--and I didn't want to step on the toes of whatever books or comics might have already dealt with these issues.

Saavik seemed like a distraction to the story I wanted to tell, which is more about an older, more mature Kirk. (My other agenda, btw, the way is to focus on Chekov a bit, since I've never really done much with him before.)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  18. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:techman:Greg that's great to hear your working on a novel n the movie era and Having a Kirk story with an older wiser Kirk is fantastic.Also including Chekov having a bigger storyarc is long overdue in the tos books. I look forward to reading both of your Tos Novels coming out this year.:)

19. Greg Cox

I confess I've sorely neglected Chekov in my Trek work, so I'm trying to make up for that now. I'm writing a Chekov scene this afternoon in fact.

20. Leto_II

Yeah, the year 2287 is (comparatively) pretty well-explored, between the immediately-post-TFF DC comic books, and novels like Probe, The Rift, and In the Name of Honor, but 2288 and 2289 are both untouched on the prose front. I think the only major novel set during that timeframe is most of Mangels' & Martin's Excelsior: Forged in Fire (Nov./Dec. 2289, into early January 2290, where Sulu officially takes command).

On the other hand, there's plenty of leeway between that year and 2290, and I'm glad hear that you're filling in the gaps, so to speak -- as you rightly mention, Kirk's at a very interesting point in his life, coming after the events of the last several movies (and especially the events of Dayton's novel), to say nothing of his crew. Chekov's a good choice for examination in this era -- he's been through almost as much shit and hell as Kirk and Spock by this point, and he's not getting any younger, either.

Hoping for some tasty continuity with the DC Comics runs, of course, but either way, this era is probably my favorite in Star Trek (with early-period DS9 coming in second place), and finally having a brand-new novel set during the Enterprise-A years is the best news I've heard in a while.