STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. KittyDuran

KittyDuran Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

IIRC there is an interview with Peter Weller where he mentions LeMay in respect to his character.

2. AnnLouise

AnnLouise Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I agree! :techman: Since I live in a state with the unofficial state song "In Heaven There Is No Beer",I also think any movie is better with beer -or set in a brewery!
    Image the magnificence of F&F 6 - set in the MillerCoors plant, or Iron Man at the old Blatz factory!

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  3. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

She was built in the atmosphere. I kinda hope she can maneuver there.
    Just like TWOK right?
    Cause you can totally invade a planet by beaming five people at a time.
    And Kirk has blue eyes and McCoy is Australian. New actors.
    He was only mostly dead. ;)
    Nah, we're good.

4. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

+1

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep.

6. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Karl Urban is from New Zealand. :techman:

7. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Nero was the one going around destroying planets. That's the genocide you're looking for. You seem intent on widening the definition of genocide to include the one who stops the genocide from continuing, but that's blatant nonsense.

Not a fan of TOS, I take it. Or is that what we call the "just because TOS did it doesn't make it okay" fallacy?

Supposedly, it will be explained in the comics. It isn't explained by the alternate universe because Khan is originally from long before 2233.

8. Dick_Valentine

Dick_Valentine Commander Red Shirt

Loved the film until the Kahn reveal.
    It spoiled it for me, he was blatantly no-where NEAR Mexican enough.
    :rommie:

Heh I just realised this film now fits in with the "all admirals are evil" trope.

I think in the entirety of Trek there's only Admiral Ross from DS9 and Pike from the first film that don't completely go xenophobic or downright evil the second they get promoted from Captain.

Oh, and Kirk, but the jury's still out on that one :D

9. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

You're not getting it. Engineering WAS filmed at NIF.

Whether or not there were one or two scenes that showed the brewery as well is an insignificant factoid.

The enduring LOOK of engineering in THIS movie is derived from the shoot at NIF.

That's it. I'm gonna let it go at that. I've had long experience at semantics on this board and I can see this discussion going that route. So I'll let you have the last word on this (if you want).

10. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

Hardly a fallacy. TOS was a product of its era, which was nearly 50 years ago. Society has changed drastically since then, and things which were acceptable then are far less so now.

Whether this film goes too far is a matter of personal opinion, but I read several mainstream reviews which criticised this aspect.

11. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    I'm not looking to have the last word, here. I'm trying to surmise if you are taking "engineering" to mean "just the place with the warp core". If so, then you are of course correct. I always understood "engineering" to be broader than just one room (see TNG for what I mean by one room.)

12. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Ever though of sticking to the previous TV shows, movies and fans shows and NOT watch the new ones?

13. Set Harth

Who cares?

I'll take a STID which is consistent with TOS on this issue over a STID which conforms to modern political correctness in a bid for "acceptance".

14. Admiral Buzzkill

There's really no virtue to being consistent with something that espouses outdated and unfair values. None at all.

15. spsblue

spsblue Cadet Newbie

Just about recovered from an hour or so panic attack induced by watching STiD, and the shear wrongness of the casting.....

Still too angry and stressed to post coherently at this point.

16. Admiral Buzzkill

This is self-evident.

17. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

Oops.:alienblush:
    Keith Urban's Australian right?
    Then why post at all?

18. Set Harth

The needs of the many.

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeppers.

Keith= Aussie
    Karl= Kiwi

20. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Hey, thanks for not considering me a mindless automaton for simply enjoying the movie. I've been seeing that on movie sites when I mention that I like STiD. It gets depressing. :p

Oh, you mean world class ham. In that case, Montalban has Cumberbatch beat. No one hammed it up like he did when playing Khan in TWOK, and I do mean that as a compliment.

Cumberbatch definitely played Khan as a cold calculator, one who really has no care whether you live or die, as long as you suit his purposes. Montalban's Khan was much more over the top in terms of villainy.

Two totally different styles from two totally different actors. Each has their strengths and weaknesses, I feel.

If you can, please do. I've seen dozens of Sherlock Holmes iterations, and this one is my favorite of them all. Benedict Cumberbatch's Holmes is a rather eccentric, genius, self described "consulting detective," and is ably played to the hilt. It also helps that Martin Freeman is a very versatile actor and does a splendid job playing the role of Dr. John Watson.