Sell me on Kes.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Plomeek Broth, Feb 20, 2014.

1. hux

hux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If Kes had been a dangerous bad girl, this thread wouldn't exist

But it does

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

3. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

Personally I'm happy that Kes never was neither the stereotypical bad girl character we do see in so many series, nor the stereotypical main female action character we also see in many series.

That gives her some extra points in my book.

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Doctor pushed him off a cliff.

It was unclear for a while as to if he was dead, or just both his legs were broken.

You need to redefine creepy and who it is that is creepy.

5. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^I think I missed that episode. I thought he had subroutines (and an oath) to not do that. Maybe, he pushed him in a bushy tree down below.

6. Guy Gardener

The Doctor was playing with his program adding psychological aspects from famous historical figures that he thought would be useful. Most of them turned out to be Type A personality nutjobs that didn't care about breaking as many eggs as need be to get the job done.

7. teacake

The guy was definitely creepy.. he had that voice. OF course Kes has that voice too so maybe it would have worked out for half an hour or so.

8. Guy Gardener

Whether he was sexy, and whether some time with him would have been fun, this is the short sightedness I couldn't understand... Whenever she chose to get off Voyager, she was most probably stuck there in that system or the limits of that empire forever because no one in the DQ moved like Voyager did (Well? The Hirogen?) because they had a homeworld to cling to. She didn't have citizenship, qualifications or money, unless Kes used her telepathy to steal and con, she was going to end up in the gutter or slavery again.

Here's the horrible thing, kes was looking for a friend who wanted to share an awfully big adventure with her in a coffin sized spaceship where they would live on top of each other... And he was looking for a girlfriend.

Imagine a 2 month road trip crosscoutry where you are not allowed to leave the car ever?

You have to pee and poop out of the window in front of whoever else was in the car.

Murder becomes prefferable to sex within days, especially if she won't put out and that that's the only skeevy reason he invited her.

This was an awful point to leave Voyager which she would have quickly regretted.

9. teacake

It was the classic teenager running off with first boy who has a vehicle deal.. only as you say worse.

10. Guy Gardener

If Neelix died... Would Kes have got his ship?

Meanwhile, why didn't Tuvix run off in Neelix's ship.

Even at warp 4, if that's what is fast is by DQ standards, which it isn't, if he had been paying attention, and since he had all of Tuvok's memories, he had, Tuvix didn't have to build a Cloak from spare parts, he could have just fiddled with his warp field to make the ship seem invisible to Voyager because he knows all that ships blindspots.

Escape was totally possible.

So after Neelix was integrated, and probably legally dead, who inherited the ship? Kes or Tuvix? If it was Tuvix, then he is a real person, but if it was Kes then she could have just left the ship as a Captain in her own right, to find a new boyfriend rather than forcing Janeway's hand to execute Tuvix.

What a bitch.

11. teacake

I love this story, how Kes is the REAL killer of poor lil' Tuvix..

And I don't even object to how easily manipulated Janeway is in it because hey, I'd like to manipulate her too.

12. Guy Gardener

It's not manipulation if she wants to kiss you.

13. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

I could never figure out if Kes was a little girl or an adult.

How could someone that's never had any life experience, lived in a closed society, yet she was doling out words of wisdom to people 3x her age and 10x the life experience.
    How was 2yrs old Kes wiser the nearly 100yr old Tuvok??
    In "Resolutions", she giving him advice on how to be a better captain his 3rd day in the chair as if his if all his years to make it to Commander NEVER prepared him for it.
    If Kes would still be as a child on her world, do adult Ocampans involve their children in adult situations to have such knowledge of things? Maybe so, if at 2 they already know how mommy and daddy procreate.

I also found it odd how she had never been ANYWHERE or see ANYTHING, yet all the new technology on Voyager NEVER fascinated her.

She was on a trip with strangers to a place called Earth. Wasn't it odd how she never asked anyone questions about themselves or what Earth was like? Is it wise to take off with strangers and never know where you're going?

Can you be wreckless and still be wise?

I think basic issue in developing Kes was, they never set up a parameter of how old she was in our years.

14. Guy Gardener

She left home as an adult shortly after her fathers death and her first birthday (her grandson Andrew was almost one in Before and After, and he was a punk.) she then spent X amount of time as a Kazon slave girl before she turned 2 years old in the second season episode twisted.

Kes never acted like a child. Ever. But it's hilarious to call Neelix a pedo.

A conservative estimate of the length of the episode Resolutions, alpha to omega plus the month in stasis before the teaser, (remember how heated it got when we "talked" about how long it takes to grow Tomato plants?) is almost 8 months.

Tuvok had been in charge for (2 possibly 3) months and Kim had been being a prick for months before Kes felt the need to step in.

15. teacake

For someone who was full of advice and super medical girl she sure was freaked out about having a baby. She was quick to dish out platitudes but quite at a loss when it was her own issues and feelings, one reason I found her often irritating.

We should have seen her speed reading the computer, Data style, so some of it was believable head knowledge. Probably there was a scene I've forgotten where someone expressed shock she had read a bunch of stuff in a small amount of time.

16. Guy Gardener

Early on (Eye of the Needle.) the Doctor said he wanted to test her memory because he was impressed after she claimed to have read several text books over night.

Seven also claimed to have an Eidetic memory in Vis a Vis, but we'll see if she really has that after Starfleet medical strips the last of the Borg hardware out of her pretty little head.

Imagine you accidentally got pregnant from a dirty swimming pool at the age of 7?

17. teacake

Oh yes yes we should all be so understanding of the superpower elf and her sweet sweetness besmirched or whatever.. are you there Caretaker? It's me, Kes. Yeah it would have been dreadfully terrifying.

18. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Had anyone ever told Kes no? Species 8472 kinda did after telling her their plan.

19. Guy Gardener

That was her worst fuck up.

She didn't get the joke.

You know how you can't tell what I'm wearing while I type this, well her ability to detect sarcasm was peewee league.

If they were talking to a fully mature 5 year year old, she would have giggled, and nothing but the absolute destruction of the Borg would have spiralled out of control.

Although most old people have no sense of humour, so maybe her sarcastimeter got shitter with distinguishingness?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  20. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

Please moderators, close this thread!