So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. RoB

RoB Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'm in the middle of The Light Fantastic after finishing the Cold Equations trilogy a few weeks ago.

2. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Finished "Final Frontier" by Diane Carey (1988). Finished "Plato at the Googleplex: Why Philosophy Won't Go Away" by Rebecca Newberger Goldstein (2014). Starting "The Moral Foundations of Life" by Oswald Chambers (1936). Starting "The Fearful Summons" by Denny Martin Flinn (ST-TOS #74, 1995). Also reading "Spiritual Leadership" by J. Oswald Sanders (1967, 2007).

3. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

How did you like Final Frontier? That's in my to read stack.

4. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished Stargate Atlantis: Homecoming the other day.

I then read the Star Trek: The Next Generation comic, Hive.

I'm now reading Star Trek: The Klingon Art of War by KRAD.

5. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

I started Bloodlines by Richelle Mead yesterday. So far, I'm really enjoying it. It is set in the Vampire Academy universe.

6. foxmulder710

foxmulder710 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

7. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

8. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    Currently reading 'Crisis on Centaurus.'

9. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Reading The Light Fantastic right now. People this is so good.

10. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    I just finished Stephen King's "Mr Mercedes". It's awesome!

On to the next Cardassian-themed Una McCormack novel. Yay! I love me some Cardies.

11. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Voyager #8 Cybersong - Totally forgettable. There was some business where they left some crew member we never saw before behind as an Ambassador and I thought hey, they thought of that before they left Neelix behind in the series then I remembered they did that in TOS with The Corbomite Maneuver so never mind.

Voyager #10 Bless the Beasts - Probably the worst edited ST book I've read so far, well, except for the books that were accidentally totally mangled in the editing process. They talk about "Seskia". Kim and Paris are missing for 2 days, then it's 12 hours. They take off there uniforms to get in some scuba type gear or something then later on they magically have the uniforms back. And the plot. Ugh. Paris and Kim are lost at sea for 2 days. The planet's leaders daughter is missing for 2 days. Paris and Kim and an unknown female are rescued. Doesn't occur to anybody this might be the missing daughter. The Doctor comes up with a cure for a plague that's killing off the entire population. In about an hour. From meat Neelix had sitting out. The sensors can't tell the difference between humans and the aliens but they can find Paris because of some residue left in a scar he got in some rescue attempt years go that's never mentioned before or since. And B'elanna is able to fix everything that was wrong with the ship using what was considered waste residue from impure metal before on the final couple pages of the book. What a mess. The worst of the numbered Voyagers yet and that's saying something.

Eight more of these to go and I'm done...

12. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm reading The Buried Age, and its really good so far. I thought it was cool to hear some details about the Stargazer that I'm pretty sure were fan ideas (like the "warp coasting", and the ship having a bunch of shuttlebays). The new plant obsessed alien species is pretty interesting so far, too.

13. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm reading New Frontier: Being Human. Finally seeing Mark McHenry's backstory is very interesting.

14. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

The More Things Change - almost done. Next up, either NPCs or Red Planet Blues

15. Gate11au

Gate11au Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

currently reading Star trek DS9 mission Gamma Book 1 Twilight. Hoping to get thro Mission gamma book to Unit so i can read Typhon pact and catch up to the current trek vera

16. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

I'm on to The Eternal Tide by Kirsten Beyer. I think it's great. There's Q's and series characters that return and all sorts of great, entertaining stuff. As always, the author does a great job with the characters and dialogue, the action flows smoothly, and I'm enjoying every sentence.

Cambridge is still a d-head, but a good character. I guess naming him Hugh was acknowledgement of the House ripoff. He might be more fun if he was addicted to vicodin but maybe that would make it TOO obvious. Or maybe he is, and just better at hiding it.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  17. Last Redshirt

Last Redshirt Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm currently reading Vanguard's Harbinger. It's pretty good so far. I like the setting, the characters, and the overall mystery.

18. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Is this your first time? If so, I envy you. Vanguard is fantastic! Enjoy the wild ride ahead :)

19. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

"Final Frontier" was unexpectedly good. Tantalizingly interesting details seem about to be added at times to the Trekscape. It might well not be entirely canon, but what is these days? It is among the large number of better novels in TOS. Out of 10: Perhaps an 8. Good preparation for later books too.

20. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

I'm reading The Golden Lily by Richelle Mead.