JD's Comic Book Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Yep. That's actually what it was intended for as well. A jumping on point for brand new fans that were curious about the new status quo changes.

For me it didn't start to catch my interest until around "American Son".

2. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Has anyone been reading Moon Knight? At first I wasn't too sure on the new direction but by the end of Ellis's run I really started to get into it. The last two issues seem to be holding the course and issue #8 had a really cool concept. I felt like I could have been watching a TV show while I was reading it. In a good way.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is it just me does Frank Miller have some issues when it comes to women? It seems like almost every woman in his stuff is either a prostitute, a stripper, and/or a drug addict.

4. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Frank Miller doesn't have issues, he has subscriptions. :lol:

5. Savage Dragon

Just finished reading issue 6 of Starlight. It was a really fun series.

6. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have. Great book. I haven't gotten to Brian Wood's issues yet but Ellis' run was just effortlessly cool.

I've loved Moon Knight since I was a kid and this is easily one of the best takes on the character that I've ever read.

7. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

8. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I've been reading and although I could go for more classic costume I've found the more one/done issue story telling through 8 issues to be very retro throwback. It's one of the smoothest transitions for a creative team in sometime on a book. I feel if you didn't have a name on the book you might even think Ellis was still writing it, it's following that closely to what Ellis set up in the first 6 issues.

Plus I like that so far with the last batch of "on the bubble" cancellation books(like Elektra) MK was nowhere to be seen. I hope that means the book is still holding it's own!!

9. Admiral_Young

Like with most Wood mainstream works it's taking me a bit to get into his "Moon Knight" but once that happened it's been enjoyable. I much preferred Ellis's crazy ride...but this has been decent so far.

10. Savage Dragon

Just thought I'd push Savage Dragon on you all again. Issue #200 is just around the corner and the lead-in to it, issue #199, came out last week. It is an all two-page splash issue and has some fantastic art in it. Here's a sample:

[​IMG]

He actually started the issue on the inside cover so he could have two-page splashes all the way trough.

11. Captain Craig

I'll be looking to get SD#200 for sure.
    That splash page looks awesome.

Do you(SD/Seeker) recall hearing that Larsen has an end game for the title. Similar to Dave Sim and Cerebus. Someone at a VALIANT fan board I post at mentioned he did, that he didn't want the character to outlive him. Kinda too late for that if that statement is true. 200 issues of a character kinda makes him a thing.

12. Savage Dragon

I've never heard him say that he doesn't want Savage Dragon to outlive him, but he has said that he has no interest in someone taking over. If one day he feels he's told his story that'll be it. Having said that, he doesn't have any plans to stop anytime soon. He has said that he will keep doing SD as long as he is able to.

13. Captain Craig

Perhaps it's figurative then. Still, a lot could happen over that span of time.

14. Savage Dragon

I asked Erik on the Image message board and this is what he had to say:

15. Captain Craig

Very cool that he is so engaged on the site! I have clicked on the link a time or two in your sig line. Thanks for asking. You don't get more authoritative than that.

16. Savage Dragon

He's pretty awesome with his fans. He signed about half my Savage Dragon collection at NYCC this year.

17. Savage Dragon

I managed to get caught up on all my new Comics while on vacation last week so I started reading Invincible on my iPad on the flight home. I think I am addicted. I'm up to issue 23 so far.

18. Captain Craig

From Dynamite's Gold Key sub-line:
    Turok #10 - I've finally settled into this version of Turok and while not remotely my favorite version or incarnation of the character I've adapted. I stayed with it when others would've bailed and it's at a point where the character is developing. Albeit just in time to end, rumor is #12 is the final. For this issue Turok has been taken to England as reward for saving Princess Marion. There is a joust on Triceratops. There are trained Pterodactyls in place of Falconry. The issue ends with Turok and Marion escaping into Shire Wood forest for an assassination plot is afoot. Guess who'll be encountered next issue....I wonder??

Doctor Spektor #4 - There is no way Mark Waid had this as just a four issue mini? Dynamite never made mention of it till issue #2 that it was a mini. The shipping delay between issue #3 & 4 was about three months. The book seems fairly clear to have been the bridging book or the GK characters. The last page, I mean who ends a book that way if it was always meant to be a mini & the other titles are mere months away from ending? No one cause it was altered at the last moments.

IDW
    TMNT #40 - A smack down in the streets with Splinter, 3 of our Turtles along with Old Hob and his Mutanimals Mutant Army VERSUS Bebop & Rocksteady!! Lots of fun here! Then the last page with Donnie & Metalhead engaging Shreddar with intel on Krang--oh, boy!

Dark Horse
    Captain Midnight #17 - their superhero line may be small, only 3 ongoings and an occasional one shot or mini, but the Project Black Sky books are really well written. This issue is a great jumping on point and should've had the banner to indicate it as such. Caps old sidekick is now a bitter aging man and wants to know the secrets to the time jump and power that may be contained within such an anomaly. Cap decides, by hook, to re initiate the powers of a foe(Helios) he'd taken away. The issue ends with what looks like could be a suit of armor very similar to The Vortex. An original 90's character from DH's Comics Greatest World saga. I wish more people were supporting these alternative super hero universes. Cap is too good to fade away.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Since last week I've been working my way through the third collection of Buffy Season 8. I'm on part three of Wolves at the Gate right now. I love giant Dawn in Tokyo, that is cracking me up. And the last page I read has Mecha Giant Dawn. And Xander and Dracula are hilarious. Is there a comic or something that tells the story of Xander's visit with Dracula after Anya's death?

20. Admiral_Young

I don't believe so. I believe they were just referencing events that happened "off camera" or in between stories.