Ships Of The Starfleet Museum

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by XFozzboute, Mar 24, 2011.

1. aridas sofia

aridas sofia Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To the extent that the classic nacelle communicates "Star Trek" to people, and that creators of "Star Trek" have to communicate that feel to viewers in order for their work to be accepted, yes. And yet, that didn't stop Roddenberry, Jefferies and the rest from dumping the classic nacelle entirely when they redesigned the Enterprise in 1979...

Star Trek was at least said to have been made on the assumption that TV producers could expect a little more thinking from their viewers and still succeed. Is it too much to expect them not to need the same basic nacelles in 2060, 2160 and 2260? In real life, was the Wright flyer too divergent from the balloons that preceded it? Were the jets that followed too divergent from the propellers of their predecessors? What about rockets with their little stubby wings? Sure, people might have looked at the first airplane and said, "That can't fly. It doesn't look anything like a balloon!" But our shared experience tells us that as technology improves, the look of things change. Is it too much to expect an audience to look at art set before the original Star Trek and expect technology that looks as different as the Wright flyer looks from the rocket, or from the balloon? I don't think so, and believe this is where the makers of the later shows got it wrong, and where Masao gets it right. It may not be canon, but that doesn't really matter. What he does won't be canon anyway. But it is good and thought provoking art. To the extent that the producers of Trek have embraced his work, and with it the idea that they can expect a little more from the consumers of their products, that's all for the good.

2. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Masao (and others) took the idea presented in "Balance Of Terror" to heart and their designs play on the idea of a 22nd century being decidedly less advanced than TOS. When it came to ENT they just wanted to continue doing contemporary Trek a la TNG-VOY and mildly redressed it.

I never cared for how ENT told its stories and I cared even less for how they depicted the 22nd century setting. But then I couldn't stand how they treated Zefram Cochrane and the 21st century either. It was straight-up revisionism and not giving a shit about what TOS established or the idea s they were trying to put across.

3. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

Is this (above) based directly on Jefferie's sketches when they were fleshing out ships for TOS? I made some a while ago based on his ideas.
    [​IMG]

4. Masao

Masao Commodore Commodore

Nope. Any resemblance is coincidental.

5. TIN_MAN

TIN_MAN Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But a fortunate one nonetheless, methinks. :techman:

6. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

As someone who has a terrible time with textures and image maps, may I say, GREAT-looking textures and image maps!

7. Irishman

Irishman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've told him this for years, and I love Masao's eye for detail and imagination. SOME of his vessels look amazing.

But, taken as a whole, his designs look a little too Micro-Machine to me.

8. Irishman

Irishman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You didn't like how ENT depicted the Andorians? I think they got the best efforts of the whole series.

The Vulcans would be a second best.

9. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I love Micro-Machines!
    :adore:

10. XFozzboute

XFozzboute Captain In Memoriam

Ok. I'm done. It's far from perfect but I'm happy with it as it is.:D
    [​IMG]

11. Tyson

Tyson Fleet Captain

Wicked model, dude. Masao's designs rock.

ENT sucked and should be discounted as the mild redress of Voyager that it was.

12. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Quite nice. :cool:

13. XFozzboute

This is the new project I plan on focusing on while dealing with my brother’s health problems and making sure my father and I are not legally responsible for his hospital bills. Since I’m useing my Amarillo mesh as a base to work from I’ve had to make a few changes. I’ve rebuilt the entire secondary hull and added RDS thrusters to it. I’ve also filled in the holes on the side tof the primary hull. I’m also testing a new unpainted metal on the secondary hull that I plan on useing on another ship..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. XFozzboute

UPDATE...
    Getting most of the base textures done on the secondary hull. After that I’ll get to work on the small amount of signage.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. XFozzboute

UPDATE...
    The secondary hull is now finished. I’ll now focus on fixing up the textures on the warp engines.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

was whoever came up with this design overcompensating for something?

17. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^ You're looking at it the wrong way around. The "phallic" part is actually the rear of the ship, which totally ruins the phallic aspect of the imagery.

18. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

oh. frontward nacelles threw me.

and an object is still phallic no matter its direction of travel. not that there's necessarily anything inherently bad or wrong about said phallic shape, i mean i enjoy a massive shiny penis-like object as much as the next man.

19. Masao

Masao Commodore Commodore

Sometime a nacelle is just a nacelle!

Vale and Mr. Laser Beam like this.
  20. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

The thing is, cylinders and spheres are the most efficient shapes for space vehicles, so people want to see phallic shapes therein. I've grown tired of the penis jokes myself...

--Alex