If STNG were remastered...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by RAMA, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

That will eliminate any chance of it airing in a few years when networks go solely HD.

2. Nerdius Maximus

Nerdius Maximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, since they're already being aired in HD on sci-fi's HD channel, I don't see how that would be the case.

3. Squiggy

Ah yes. I was thinking about TOS, which was remastered because the original effects were too dirty for HD.

4. Nerdius Maximus

Hmmm. Well, you can watch the dvd's upscaled on a blu-ray player and they look fine. I think I'll stick with that until all this "improvement" madness has run its course.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Networks will do no such thing.

They're going all DIGITAL next year. But not all digital is HD.

Just because a show is aired on an HD channel, doesn't mean the show itself is HD.

Stargate SG-1, for example, airs in syndicated reruns on one of our HD channels (not Sci-Fi), but not actually *IN* HD.

6. Squiggy

Did I say they would go all HD next year? No. I'm aware what the digital conversion entails...thanks.

Sometime in the not-to-distant-future, most networks will limit themselves to HD only programming.

7. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

I never suggested redoing them. I'm merely pointing out that the TNG graphics aren't nearly as laughable as some of the others.

8. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

In that case they'd have a contingency for non-HD programs. They're not going to wipe away 60 years of television because it's old and not in HD!

9. Squiggy

A vast majority of shows ever produced aren't shown, and if they are...most of those are on channels dedicated towards "classic" programming, or they're in syndication (such as TNG).

However, if a channel 10 years from now has an option of airing a nitchy HD sci-fi show or a slightly less-nitchy SD show from at that point 30 years ago...guess what they'll pick.

10. Nerdius Maximus

They just might. Didn't you know? Everything old is garbage. Only new stuff is good now.

11. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

Says who?

12. Nerdius Maximus

That seems to be the general concensus with audiences today. However, probably 70% of the stuff I watch on TV is old, so I guess I'm SOL!:rommie:

13. Squiggy

The people who program most American television networks. We even had a cable network dedicated to classic television. Good B&W stuff, classic early color stuff. But now it's pretty much just Full House, Fresh Prince of Bel Aire, and Home Improvement.

They program this way because the audience demands it through ratings. If older programming worked, it would still be aired. If TNG worked, it wouldn't have been shipped to god knows how may cable channels of the past few years.

People like new things.

14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

See now, that is low resolution and also shoehorning a rectangular image into a round one. STNG's LCARs screen are either backprojected displays or higher res graphics superimposed onto the screen, they do not look as dated because they are fairly crisp images.

[​IMG]

RAMA

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  15. TEH BABA

TEH BABA Commodore Commodore

Maybe they can put a proper uniform on troi.

16. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

And cover up that cleavage? What on earth would you want to do a thing like that for?

17. Tactical Drone

Tactical Drone Captain Captain

Just to clear things up... I never said everything old is garbage, I am not in the "everything needs to be updated" camp. I simply hate those one color screens on the flagship of the Federation in the 24th century. That's all, that's the only change I'd like to see, to add more color to those one color green screens.

18. darkshadow0001

darkshadow0001 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I say leave TNG alone. It's good enough as it is, we had the effects to make the show good. For TOS it was understandable, because even though effects were ok for its time, it still wasn't the same as we have now.

19. Bonzo the Fifth

Bonzo the Fifth Commander Red Shirt

Maybe for the latter seasons of the show, but you can't seriously say that Seasons 1-2 of TNG had anything like decent FX. But then, the FX weren't the only thing shaky about those early episodes... the spandex uniforms and the overly loud synth soundtrack didn't help matters much... Once you get later on, with better FX, the uniform upgrade and more reliance an actual orchestral soundtrack, things improved greatly...

Of course, remastering would only address a few of those 'dated' aspects of the show, but, given how fuzzy and aged I've noticed the syndicated episodes looking on my non-HD cable outlet, it would appear that Remastered TOS totally spanks TNG in the visual department. Personally, I wouldn't mind an FX overhaul, especially for everything before and inclusive of 'The Best of Both Worlds', but even a simple, really thorough digital cleanup on par with what the TOS master tapes got for their remastering would be greatly appreciated...

20. Bosch571

Bosch571 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Not agreeing fully here, there ware some verry bad stock shots reused in S2, but look at the sourcer slicing the borg did in Q Who, or the effects in Peak Performence. The effect where few but not bad at all.