New Star Wars animated show "Rebels" coming fall 2014

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Booji, May 20, 2013.

1. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

The only thing that gives me pause about the character is a throwaway line from the end of the video clip mentioning how many times Chopper saves the day - after causing problems to begin with. It makes for a fun idea - as long as it isn't overused. That said, given the track record, I've no reason to doubt that Filon & co. will make such a mistake.

2. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, now that Ahsoka's gone, this series needs its Scrappy-Doo.

3. Greylock Crescent

Pup-pee pow-ah!

4. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Please. Don't make me commit any bodily harm.

5. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Pretty cool design. I'm sure it won't be long before one of those R2 Builders makes a working, full-scale model.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Sort of a squatter version of an R5 unit, I'd say (R5-D4 is the only Star Wars action figure I've ever owned). Not a bad idea for a character -- sounds kind of like a more G-rated Bender -- but I don't like the "voice," which was kind of annoying.

7. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Speaking of Bender, when I read the Coruscant Nights books I keep picturing I5 as Bender.

8. Greylock Crescent

I guess it all depends on how prominent the character is, and how he's utilized, but the voice didn't bother me at all.

Then again, I've no issues with the tone of Jar-Jar's voice, either, so, take that as you will.

9. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

hmmm, reserving judgment, I have some reservations but could end up being a favorite depending how it's handled. R2 with a jetpack was a bit OTT sometimes so this could be a step in the right direction if he's scaled back and ends up more endearing than obnoxious.

Now if only they could get HK-47...

10. cooleddie74

I thought Ahsoka would suck when The Clone Wars theatrical film and the series first premiered. "Snips?" Obnoxious behavior? Running around getting in the Jedi equivalent of teenage hijinks with Jabba the Hutt's farty, smelly newborn son strapped to her back? Surely Ahsoka will be lame. She's not mentioned once in the live-action films, and since when did Anakin have his own Padawan? How important or interesting could she have been?

I was wrong. I grew to like her, and if they resurrect her in Rebels or some other project I won't be up in arms about it.

11. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^My thoughts exactly. This production crew have a proven track record which means they've earned the benefit of the doubt.

Honestly at this point we know very little about the show's format, cast, or setting so one can hardly form an intelligent opinion one way or the other.

12. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i just had a crazy thought...what if Mara shows up on Rebels and kills Ashoka. i know that isn't gonna happen, but still.

13. cooleddie74

Mind. Trick. Blown.

14. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I think a real twist would be if she shows up as Mara's force instructor, having already fallen to the dark side.

Actually, having said that, didn't Zahn make a point to say that Mara was never a dark side practitioner? The idea being that she was only trained in the basic use of her force talent; enough to be a useful agent but not enough for her to get a taste for power and become a problem.

Really, I think if Ashoka turns up it'd likely be either as a bounty hunter/mercenary type (maybe even partnered with Ventress) or as a Jedi/Ronin drifter. Think crazy hermit "Ben" Kenobi crossed with Bill Bixby from 'The Incredible Hulk'...except younger and female...and orange instead of green...

15. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's been absolutely no indication that Ahsoka would fall to the dark side.

16. cooleddie74

My running theory was that - if we never saw her again - she would just slip back into a civilian life that was as quiet as possible and use her old Jedi training to wing her way through the rest of her life under the Imperial system and afterwards (if she lived that long). Not being an active member on the rolls of the Jedi Order any longer she likely wouldn't have been a target of Order 66 and might have been completely overlooked by her former Master and his troops and agents during the Purge.

17. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Hence "twist". ;)

I agree though. I was only being half serious.

I don't think it'd be quite that easy. Life in the Imperial system would be too hot. Once word of order 66 hit and the stragglers start getting hunted down her best bet would have been to disappear into the underworld or some outer rim back water.

My two favourite possibilities are that she's doing the wandering ronin thing--like Mace Windu in 'Pulp Fiction' ;)--or she stayed on Coruscant the whole time, hiding in the lower levels right under the Empire's nose.

18. cooleddie74

Maybe so. That's part of the reason why I kind of hope the writers include her in a future episode of Rebels just so we have some gauge as to what happened to her after she walked away from Anakin and down the steps of the Jedi Temple. With the colossal population of Coruscant - a world teeming with tens of billions of inhabitants of different species - I could see an ex-Jedi who'd given up on the order keeping her head down and eking out a life under Imperial rule, doing what she could to prevent her former identity as a Jedi Padawan and the apprentice of Anakin Skywalker from being discovered by those around her. She's Force sensitive, so it's possible Vader could pick up on his old apprentice's Force signature and realize Ahsoka was still alive - and potentially a threat, sending troops and agents to eliminate her. But who knows. Were things that cut and dry, a Jedi Knight as immensely powerful and well-known as Obi-Wan Kenobi shouldn't have been able to spend twenty years as a kooky old hermit on Anakin Skywalker's former homeworld, and living not all that far from where Anakin did as a youth, close to an Imperial garrison and at least two significant Outer Rim spaceports.

Truth is, things are only as simple or as complicated as the writers of this universe decide to make it. She could be running for her life for all we know, hiding out where she can to avoid Stormtroopers and/or the Inquisitor. She might have been killed at some point, perhaps even at Darth Vader's hand. Then again, she could have successfully made it off Coruscant and to some distant system away from anybody who might have suspicions about her past. It's going to be fascinating to see what the writers decide to do with her character, if anything at all.

19. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe I'm just being snippy, but that three minutes felt more like Star Wars than the whole three prequels. :p

20. Greylock Crescent

Yes, you're being snippy. :lol: