Kitbash orthos

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Forbin, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Epic ortho schematic :)

2. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why "NKC"?

3. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really am liking a lot of this art here!

Here is a mundane question: what applications are you all using to create these starships in?

4. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nicely done orthos!

Mundane answer: yes. Name any program, and I'll bet someone around here uses it. I can't speak for Forbin, but personally I use GIMP and Inkscape (both free) for 2D work.

5. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

1) looking for something different and possibly pre-Kirkian.

2) the first thing that popped into my head when I decided it was a cargo ship, was the old C-135 cargo plane, which was developed into the KC-135 air refueling tanker, and NKC-135 sounded immediately cooler than NCC-135. :)

6. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Good ol' mundane CorelDRAW X5.

7. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Forbin: your Tech Manual pages are fantastic! Are you considering (at some point) collecting them into one PDF and offering them for sale/download?

8. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

I am doing that, in fact! But don't hold your breath - I've already been working on it for something like 7 years and I have a long way to go. And the PDF is already 84 pages and 270MB! :eek:

9. Mysterion

Well, I appreciated your dedication to it, in that case! :) That's a long time to spend on a project. I hope we get to see it at some point. In the meantime, thanks for sharing with us what you do here on the board.

10. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Well, actual dedication would be working hard at it until it's done. What I'm doing is NOTHING like that. :lol:

11. Mysterion

Never let them see you napping, Forbin. :)

12. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Mysterion, is the USS Akula guarding the frontier from Zur and the Kodan armada?:)

13. TheSubCommander

Well, you guys all do great work. Now excuse my ignorance, as I don't work around photo editing or anything like that, but do you two (and anyone else who wants to share) "draw" those ships from scratch or do you use templates?

The reason I am asking is if there are templates involved, I would like to know so that maybe I can start learning on my own and create some ships myself. I would probably want to start out with 2-d, first, I imagine. So if you have any tips, I would be interested in your expertise, that is if you care to share it. If not, totally fine. :)

14. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Say which show or movie is that William Shatner avatar from? :)

15. TheSubCommander

Airplane 2 the sequel! Commander Buck Murdoch! Shhhh-ssssshhhh!

16. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Personally, I draw everything from scratch. I do sometimes have reference pictures that I draw over or refer to, but the final product is all-new. Once I've done that, I may use my new file as a template of sorts for derivative works (see my Galileo thread for an example), but that template was still my own work.

17. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

What I did was find really good blueprints that someone else has drawn, scan them at hi res, and trace over them in Corel. As I go, I have to be thinking in terms of making the shapes solid closed paths so I can add fills and shading. Once I had, say, the TMP E drawn up, then I could take parts of it and use an engine or a saucer to build the art for a new kitbash like the Venture. For bashes that are from things that don't have existing blueprints I can cheat from (:)) like the Val'Walo and the Reeses, I actually break down and use my old drafting skills to measure the model and draw it from scratch.

18. Mysterion

Well, somebody's gotta! Welcome to Rylos, my boy! :)

(Actually, Akula is currently assigned to PA Group 26 out on the edge of SubQuadrant 3-South dealing mostly with Orion smugglers and the occasional Klingon raiders who haven't quite embraced the Khitomer Accords.)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  19. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

There is Neale "Vance" Davidson's Starship Toolkits - http://jaynz.trekships.org/view_gallery.php?cmd=gallery_Toolkits.idx

There's also his old black and white versions - http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/vance.php - scroll to the bottom.

That's an easy way to get started whipping ships together. You can start learning your photo edit skills slowly be cause you only need to do minor editing here and there rather than draw whole ships from scratch.

20. TheSubCommander

Thank you BJ and Forbin :)

Thank you! This is exactly what I am looking for. :)