The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Oct 27, 2010.

1. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No they aren't free to write what they want. They are specifically instructed to omit certain items. Your misunderstanding is equivalent to saying that government censorship isn't a violation of free speech if they just require that the articles omit any mention of certain facts.

Incidentally, getting a free preview is also a violation of independence, however customary it is.

2. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Studios=private

Government=public

Those are two different things and need to be looked at in two different ways. To make a comparison between a studio allowing people to see a product early on the condition that they don't talk too much about it is in no way similar to government censorship.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Private entities can do whatever they want to you (so long as they don't violate the law) especially if you agree to it.

There's now law against a company making you sign a contract to keep your mouth shut about a movie until a certain date.

4. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In a free society, parties are able to trade things of value to each other. Here, the studio is granting early access to reviewers. These reviewers are competing with each other to see who has the best-written reviews at the earliest point in time, because these are the things that draw readers/viewers which in turn draws advertisers which in turn draws them a paycheck. The value that the studio gets from the deal is free publicity, especially if their movie is good enough to garner positive reviews. Both parties get something out of the deal, so it is in both parties best interest to abide by the terms of the contract. It is neither censorship nor oppression to do so.

5. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

So, anyone going on opening day at midnight? Anyone got their tickets yet?

6. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I'll be going Saturday afternoon around 1pm or so unless I can get a group together.

7. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I ordered last night once I realized spoilers would be all over the place the next morning. So I'm going at 12:01 AM Friday by myself. :lol: I'll be seeing it again, I'm sure, and will drag people along with me.

8. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

I have three kids, midnight shows are a thing of the past until they're teenagers. Wish I could go then, though. I'll be seeing the morning show on Friday just like I did with TDK.

9. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Wait. There's a new Batman movie coming out?!

10. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

I want to go to the midnight show.

It just depends on how willing I am to drive home after 3.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually, at this point, the story and contents of The Dark Knight Rises would be considered internal information for WB. Until a movie is released the only people that are supposed to know what exactly happens in it are the studio and the handful of people they allow to see it, or know the story. So if you reveal information about the movie before it's released, you would be releasing privileged internal information from the studio.
    Actually they are free to write whatever they want. If they want to they can rip the movie to shreds, they just aren't allowed to publish the review, good or bad, until the studio says so.

12. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, but Clooney's not in it. They recast the role again. Can you believe it?

13. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

But I LIKED Clooney. Dammit.

14. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Ack. Between that and their politics I may have to switch away from Sargento...

15. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wait...Clooney's not in it? Damn it.

16. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Good choice. The only thing their employees are able to watch in the break rooms is Fox News. I can tell you that is influencing some of their workers beliefs. It likely the main source of political info they get.

17. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  18. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I assume you've read one of these confidentiality agreements then, or can provide a link to an article documenting these restrictions that film critics must follow? I've never heard anything along these lines from professional film critics, and I would be surprised if they existed.

But it would certainly be intriguing if your claim was true, and I'd be interested in reading more about it if you can find something backing it up.

On the subject of corruption among film reviewers, if it were as bad as you suggest, why would Sony go to the effort to invent an imaginary film critic? Wouldn't influencing actual film critics just be easier?

19. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

20. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

One of my friends is going to a 5AM showing and then the one straight after at 8:45AM.

I was going to try and see it on Friday, but I'm going with a few friends so looks like I'll have to wait until Saturday night. I saw Empire gave it 5 stars, but I'm trying to avoid all reviews and spoilers, Friday and Saturday are going to be hard to get though.