Original series Blu-ray question.

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by PKerr, Mar 29, 2011.

1. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hi all.

Just a few quick questions for those that have the original series on Blu-ray.

1. Are these the re-mastered episodes that have the replacement graphics i.e. the Gorn blinking and so on?

2. Is there a vast improvement over the newest DVD sets that came out a few years ago?

I know in a lot of cases Hi def does the show no favors, I can remember seeing where Nimoy’s Spock ears were glued on in a few places on the cleaned up DVD’s along with a bunch of other little things.
    I can only imagine what it would look like in super duper ultra terrific Blue-ray.

Thanks in advance.

2. Merky

Merky Captain Captain

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Original-Season-Blu-ray/dp/B001TH16DS

According to the video product information, you have the choice between the original episode and the remastered episode plus a crap load of special features that were featured on the remastered DVD sets.

I do not personally own the blu-ray set. I own the DVD remastered set.... macbooks don't have bluray players :(

3. Vance

Vance Vice Admiral In Memoriam

The BluRay set includes both versions.

It's hi-def, and the DVD is not. Personally I don't tend to notice THAT much difference if the DVD master is good, but the Trek discs are surprisingly good quality.

TOSR cleans up the most egregious issues like that (such as the coffee stains on the uniforms), but you'll still see some issues from time to time. It's a 1960's TV show, after all, there's only so much that's possible to actually do.

4. PKerr

This is the set I have

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Ori...831S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1301428597&sr=8-4

But I was interested in seeing the remastered versions as I've only seen a few of them.

The Amazon Blu-ray description almost acts like they mixed the remastered set with the Blu-ray, it's a bit confusing.

I was kinda hoping to bypass the remastered set and get that content in the Blu-ray set.

5. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Curious, not challenging: Got a link to a pic of that?

6. Vance

Vance Vice Admiral In Memoriam

Not off hand, but "moviemistakes" has this referenced:

7. Merky

Merky Captain Captain

What do you mean? I think it means you can either watch the episode in the original format or you can watch it in the remastered. You're better off with the Blu-ray.

I got this set:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DHXT3Y

For the quality, it looks like this:
    [​IMG]

So you're better off with the Blu-ray, it would be crystal clear and nice and pretty.

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Blu-ray sets offer seemless branching of both the original effects and the new cgi. You can hit the "angle" button on your remote and go back and forth between the original and cgi effects right in the middle of an episode.

Plus it offers a Dolby 7.1 track and a Mono track.

9. PKerr

OK looks like I'm picking up The Blu-rays.
    Damn you Trek, TOS is the only show I'm working on a quadruple dip. Ughh

10. Merky

Merky Captain Captain

It's worth it though! Sometimes there's just those shows where you have to cough up $$$ :)

11. PKerr

Oh I know.

I'm on a quadruple dip of Predator, Terminator, Terminator 2 and getting ready to be on a Triple dip of The Matrix Trilogy and Alien/Aliens.

I just got a fairly decent bonus at work and my Tax refund was the best its ever been as well so I bought myself a few toys.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00354ELL2

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003M6A27A

And a 7.1 1000 series of these bad boys

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000V41XII

So I be jammin' :p

12. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

Why anyone would buy the Matrix sequels even once is beyond me. The original is all tat is required.

I bought a blu-ray device pretty much specifically to see TOS in HD and I don't regret it a bit!

13. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TOS on Blu-Ray is absolutely gorgeous, regardless of whether you choose to watch the original effects or the new CG effects. The color and detail on some of these episodes is just incredible, and absolutely represents a massive upgrade from any DVD version.

14. Botany Bay

Botany Bay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Have to agree with that.

I got a Blu-Ray player just to watch TOS - I was stunned just how big a jump in quality it was over DVD.

The thing that jumped out at me straight away was the amount of green they used on those sets! I swear it wasn't there on the DVD's and videos I've had over the years.

Best feature : ability to turn CGI on/off.

15. amasnic

amasnic Ensign Newbie

:techman:

16. PKerr

So I picked up season one and two from Amazon for 54.99 each (funny thing is, that is about what I paid for just season one DVD back in the day) and I have to say the quadruple dip was well worth it so far.
    I’m only on the third disk of season one and I’m enjoying the series all over again.
    Say what you will about the new CGI graphics but I’m liking them, they are a real treat and I think the folks that did them were very respectful of the source material.

As soon as season three becomes available from Amazon I’ll be picking that up as well.

So my next question.

Anyone pick up the movie collections?
    Are they worth it as well?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  17. BillJ

The original series movie collection is hit and miss. Some look stunning others seem to barely be a step up from DVD. But I've enjoyed them nonetheless. :techman:

Plus, all the films are the original theatrical releases (none of the extra footage from the director/special editions).

18. PKerr

ughh I'll wait then.
    No need on triple dipping them.

19. GNDN

GNDN Commodore Commodore

Still thankful for that! My first copy of TWOK dvd was the "Special Edition" and I actually sought out the standard release after the fact since I still feel the theatrical is the more polished edit.

As with TOS Blu-rays, make all the changes you want, as long as the original originals are still available in the latest format (and for TUC, available for the first time!)

Ya hear me, Lucas??? ... :rolleyes: ... damn, didn't think so...

20. BillJ

Believe it or not... I've actually enjoyed the original releases far more than the director/special editions. :techman: