(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

The point is at what point Blackburn do decide to get rid of him, there's so much money at stake now that they almost can't risk relegation. Do it now and Sam has a chance to bring players in in January. As for funding replacements, has it definitively been stated than Ince had no money? Have to say much as I wanted him to succeed I do feel he should have taken a championship club on and built up that way, it was a big jump from League 2 to the Prem (this is the man who signed a player Milton Keynes fans seemed happy to be rid of, then got obsessed with trying to sign Robbie Fowler!) There's also the issue that's been knockig around since the summer that he'd lost the dressing room.

Hopefully Ince will bounce back, he still has an enviable reputaion lower down the league so I'm sure there are more than a few CC/L1 teams who will offer him a job.

2. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

In better news, the European cups' draws are both full of awesome. Chelsea v the Tinkerman, United v the Special One, Arsenal get their turn at last against Roma and Liverpool v Real Ramos! Not to mention a possible meeting between Villa and Spurs provided they beat CSKA and Shakhtar.

Personally I'm not sure Villa and Arsenal are going to get past this round. I know it's late February but no one wants to go playing in Moscow, and if the wrong Arsenal team show up in Rome...

I'm also amazed that in the space of three weeks, first United DIDN'T draw a Premiership team in the FA Cup and now Chelsea have NOT got their annual piss-easy draw in the last 16! This season is turning traditions on their heads!

3. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I am going to go on a limb and say that all 4 ENG CL clubs will get to final 8 but for the UEFA CUP I think we will lose at least one team but I don't think any of our UEFA cup teams will get past the last 8 at best.

4. HRHTheKING

HRHTheKING Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Bring on Real Madrid!

5. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Note to Howard Webb: Fuck You.

6. HappyDayRiot

You say that, but your boys picked up quite a bit when Adebayor got sent off.

7. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Webb is incompetent enough but his incompetence could have just cost us our place in the Champions League. That will have serious repercussions for Arsenal Football Club.

At the very least, Arsenal should not be required to allow him back on to Arsenal Holdings premises again.

8. dragunzng

dragunzng Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Amazon Van Persie goal.

Goal.com has us spending about 100 million pounds in the January transfer market and buying half of Europe.

9. HappyDayRiot

^ Webb was absolutely awful it's true. How many fouls did Lucas make before finally getting a yellow?

To be honest though Hermiod I don't think you need Webb's help, or anyone else's for that matter, to put your Champions League hopes in any more jeopardy than you already have done by yourselves. And is it next year the 4th placed team is going to have to play a genuinely difficult preliminary tie to qualify, or did I just dream that?

I'd start hoping Villa pick up some injuries at the moment if I were an Arsenal, cos it does not look great for you at all.

10. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Regardless, we have done well against the Big Three this season which I'm sure is something somebody at FA HQ doesn't like.

Our fans were superb, I wish the Emirates was like that every week. 60,000 booing you off the pitch every time you get the ball. Excellent.

11. dragunzng

dragunzng Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This. It really grates my nerves when the crowd is so silent at The Emirates, even if the team isn't doing well.

Right now Everton and Chelsea are level. Hoping it stays this way.

12. HRHTheKING

HRHTheKING Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Good result for LFC today.

13. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I think Arsenal's season is over

They have no great depth in the squad though maybe Ramsey will get some actual time instead of crap players like Diaby/Song.

14. Sagart

Sagart Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thank you, Santa Claus!!
    I asked for one thing and got it!

Liverpool FC, top of the league at Christmas:)

15. HappyDayRiot

Who gets the armband now if Fabregas is out?

16. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Almunia.

17. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

BBC reporting 4 months. A real shame.

18. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

19. HappyDayRiot

I predict nothing will come of it. Slap on the wrist and damage to his reputation that everyone will forget next time he slams one in from 35 yards.

I'm surprised no one here has cried out their jubilation at Calderwood finally getting the sack. And now Paul Jewell has resigned after "the worst year of his life".

Hermiod I really believed for a moment yesterday Tony Adams was going to ruin your season. Not even I would find that funny.

20. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

David James was having one of those days. :)