The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by jefferiestubes8, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R discussion thread!

If I'm not mistaken ImageG did indeed shoot all of the external space ship shots on film during most of the series.

2. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I wouldn't mind a combination of new and old. Use the original film elements of the Enterprise but replace some of the "ship of the week" shots with something new when appropriate.

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I think all elements were shot on film. Spaceships in front of bluescreens, matte paintings, explosions, all shot on film. But they composited them together on video.

But the interview at the beginning of this thread says that they were composited on film, too.

This interview: http://postfifthpictures.com/2010/02/the-editor-answers-daryl-baskin-star-trek-tng-editor/ seems to imply that they were even composited on film, but that the editing took place on video/electronically.

4. Savage Dragon

I wonder how the opening credits will look. It wouod be interesting to see if they tweaked the person walking by in the observation lounge. I love that shot.

5. Kinggodzillak

Kinggodzillak Captain Captain

Maybe they could have the person in the observation lounge doing a different thing in every episode. Waving, dancing, cartwheels, having a party...

6. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

IF the model work is on film then it would be cheaper, easier and better to recomposite it all in HD. It would look far superior to cheap CGI!

That doesn't mean there should be nothing new. For example, the low quality planets can be replace. When the enterprise is orbiting planet bitmap, they can just replace planet bitmap with planet cgi :)

Planet Bitmap
    http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/s1/1x21/arsenal066.jpg
    http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/s1/1x21/arsenal024a.jpg
    http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/s1/1x15/angelone010a.jpg

7. Flake

The FX from 11011101 would also be great in HD assuming they are on film!

8. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Honestly, I'd imagine that they would replace all the VFX for the sake of consistency. Especially since there's only so much footage of the various models to go around and one can really tell the difference between them.

9. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

This is the best bet...even if it wasn't to be consistent for the image g/post group fx and ILM fx, it would be to make the 4 ft and 6ft model problem disappear.

A rather lengthy artcile on the actual FX editing...it looks like they are editing it on digital video (prob post 2nd season).

http://reocities.com/Hollywood/Set/1116/sfxartcl.html

10. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Star Trek: The Next Generation, like many shows of the 80’s and 90’s was shot on 35 mm film. 35mm film is a higher resolution than both standard and high definition. This means that the episodes can be transferred into standard or high definition without issue. Unfortunately for many shows with special effects, the editing process was done digitally with standard definition video. So the final copies of the episodes exist in standard definition video only. Many times shots with miniatures, green screen, matte shots and other effects were all transferred and edited in standard definition rather than edited more expensively with film.

http://kotwg.blogspot.com/2011/07/technology-time-star-trek-next.html

So as I said, looks like they were not mastered into final FX with film…most of those shots existed only with digital video editing.

There is some question–I believe Mike Okuda raised the doubt-that the film negatives for FX still exist. The blogspot article does seem to suggest if they exist then much of the FX COULD be re-used…but if they do have them…they may want to re-do the FX anyway to make the ILM/post Group/Image G FX, and the 4-foot and 6-foot model work more consistent…also to reduce stock shot usage….which is what I prefer.

11. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

Hey RAMA, thanks for keeping the folks at TrekMovie in-the-know too. I'm Jeff O'Connor there unsurprisingly.

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

13. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Yup...I sent the first bluray stories to Trekmovie before I saw them anywhere else...but who knows where they've been.

Rick Sternbach made a response there.

Perusing Memory Alpha...I didn't know a Constitution Class CGI ship was tested early on in STNG's pre-production life for use on the show...seems like it wasn't terrible...I wish the tape still existed as a curiosity for the Bluray.

14. Savage Dragon

15. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

16. Savage Dragon

Did you try to make use of the phone numbers provided?

17. Flake

But we have lived with the inconsistency for 25 years, one minute its the 6ft ILM stock shots and the next minute its 4ft model and new shots! I would love CGI if they have the time and money to do it right but I fear they won't get time or money.

18. JarodRussell

If I want stuff tampered with, I buy the Star Wars Special Edition.

19. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Hilarious...tell me where they changed the TOS stories then maybe you'd have a case...

RAMA

20. JarodRussell

Why, where did they change the stories in the SW SE?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.