What's this...? TOS.5.2

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by deg3D, Aug 27, 2009.

1. deg3D

deg3D Captain Captain

Here's the laundry list of the last changes done (that I can recall from my scratch lists), Cary... You can download the old shots and overlay them in Photoshop to see the changes. Nothing major though.

1. Turned off gang-way lights (per you)
    2. Turned off dock lights as well
    3. Added flares to the B/C deck spots projecting the spots toward the bow of the saucer (very subtle, easy to miss)
    4. Brightened spots a touch on ventral aft register on saucer
    5. Increased glow a touch on interior nacelle(s) grills
    6. Increased glow a touch on stern starboard and port running lights
    7. Decreased glow on all ports (per Vektor)
    8. Added lights to emulate the radiosity bounce-light coming from the domes onto the saucer (per darkwing_duck1)

Now, the last effect is, again, in line with my less-is-more philosophy in regard to trying to recreate photo-real quality. Too easy to go garish, so I prefer just a hint of light and color as opposed to a blaring example of it. Just because something can be done, does not mean it should be. Either way, this is the measure of my take on it.

So, for better or for worse, love her or hate her, or mildly like her, this re-dux is complete at this point. So guys, take her for what she is, or leave her at the door. If so, there's other takes out there still to enjoy. :)

Thanks for all your input on this (re)project guys. You can all consider yourselves co-designers on TOS.5.2 E for your valued input in getting her to look as she does now. ;)

Oh, I still have to re-do the shuttlebay (including building my TOS.5.2 G-7), yet, and who knows what other stuff will occur to me along the way. Things have a way of popping into my head, but again, she can't turn into the never-ending project.

deg

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  2. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

still looks awesome to me :) :techman: :drool:

3. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I have minor, oh-so-subtle nitpicks as well, but if you call her done, then any complaint I have now would be like turning down a blind date with a supermodel because she showed up at the door wearing pumps that don't quite match her dress.

I'd be slapped across the back of the head by every other artist here, and quite deservedly so.

It was fun watching you work through this project, Deg. The result is nothing short of magnificent.

4. deg3D

deg3D Captain Captain

Thanks, guys. :)

And too funny, Psion. But let yer points fly eh, as I'm always liking to hear them, even if I don't agree, or time is up to work 'em in. Always worth logging in though, for future reference. ;)

deg

5. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Perhaps even as a nod to TNG, the inner nacelle grilles can glow a subtle shade of blue instead of white...

6. deg3D

deg3D Captain Captain

Nope, had that originally with TOS.5 E. Too garish for her, IMO now. It worked well with the red bussards in TNG, as blue and red are complimentary colors, but not with the peach so much, IMO. Her grills are actually not pure white, they are a very desaturated peach, taken from the domes' overall color.

Plus, love TNG, but TOS doesn't nod to TNG. Other way around in my 'verse. :)

Thanks for the input though, JJohnson. :)

deg

7. TrekkieMonster

TrekkieMonster Commodore Commodore

First, just amazing work. Seriously! Your take on our lovely lady is just jaw droppingly beautiful! I absolutely love every one of your choices, in terms of modification from the original (those that I can identify, at least.) ;)

And second ...,

Thank you for that. No offense to JJ, intended either. But, this is exactly how I feel. And I can see in your ship some of the seeds of inspiration for TNG design: the lighted inboard grills on the nacelles, and the hint of a glow behind the deflector, for instance.

And I'm so happy that I have desktop wallpaper for weeks now. ;)

Muchas gracias! :bolian:

8. deg3D

deg3D Captain Captain

Thanks, TrekkieMonster! :)

But for the record, I never even considered TNG style for a moment when building her. Much of her modification upgrading in based on TMP-E, as that is the design phase she is just behind. ;)

deg

9. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

The TMP refit is an incredible piece of art.. usually I consider the original a tiny fraction less my favorite design, your and Vektors work are making that tiny fraction smaller and smaller and both your Enterprises are no less an incredible piece of art.:cool:

10. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Premium Member

Man, this is awesome. :) You aren't planning on releasing any versions publicly, are you? I love to build a Blender port of it. :)

11. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

Dance, my artistic puppet, dance!!! ;)

(At some point you have to make it your own work...)

12. deg3D

deg3D Captain Captain

Thanks, guys! :)

And no, MadMan1701A. This is a very very personal project to me, and thus, she will not be released publicly. Sorry.

LOL, Prof. :)

But seriously, she is all mine as I am the one that accepts or vetoes any calls/suggestions, and I come up with the loin's share of the calls to begin with. Like I said, I do like and value the input of peeps that this gal means as much to as myself, but ultimately, at the end of the day, this is very much deg's vision of our gal, eh, no two-ways about it. ;)

deg

13. Disillusioned

Disillusioned Commander

Cool. Think you'll try out the same type of lighting scheme you've done on the nacelles on the rest of the ship?

14. deg3D

deg3D Captain Captain

Thanks, dude. :) And, no. She is lit as she is to be lit, eh.

deg

15. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey, I just noticed that "Just west of Chicago" bit... are we talking Schaumburg-ia? Rockford? Someplace else? Just curious... I mention the above 'cause I've lived in both of 'em.

16. largo

largo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

i happen to be just west of chicago at the moment as well,
    melon-pan from mitsuwa is delicious.

17. deg3D

deg3D Captain Captain

You guys are not from the city itself, are ya?

Just west of Chicago is how normal peeps speak.

Just westa Chicago is how a Chicagoian says it.

Just North-Side ribbin' youse guys a lil' bit, eh. :P

Yeah, Cary, I'm about 15 min. south of Schaumburg, eh, down 355 in Glendale Heights. When did you live in Chicagoland?

And you're over in Arlington Heights for what, largo? Just the melon-pan? ;)

deg

18. deg3D

deg3D Captain Captain

First of previous TOS.5 shots (L) updated to the TOS.5.2 (R) E.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

deg

19. largo

largo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

my wife's selling her art at the celtic fest in grant park this weekend.
    visiting mitsuwa is just frosting. :)

20. MadMan1701A

MadMan1701A Commodore Premium Member

Awesome, as always. :) Too bad about the release, but I totally understand. Some things are so good, you have to keep them to yourself. :)