Drex Files is gone!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by B.J., Apr 12, 2013.

1. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you never saw Doug Drexler's Wordpress blog, you were missing out on a great resource of ship renders, concept art, and behind-the-scenes info. Unfortunately, it's now gone. Read about it here:
    http://startrekauction.blogspot.com/2013/04/doug-drexler-takes-down-drexfiles-blog.html
    http://wrathofdhanprops.blogspot.com/2013/04/end-of-era-drex-files-blog-is-gone.html

It seems that some other VFX artists took issue with him putting "Drex Files" on all the images, and felt he was taking credit for them. I can understand that to a point, but he was also going out of his way in the article text to say who did all the work for each design/render.

Even though Doug hadn't updated it recently, I hope it comes back in some form. I'd hate to lose access to all those amazing images!

2. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That sucks!!

The Drexfiles has been such a great resource over the past years. I was wondering why Doug quit updating it. Hopefully it will come back.

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

lousy Whiners they were prolly jealous of him =/

4. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

DAMN! :scream: :wtf: :brickwall: :eek:

That's really all I have to say for the moment.

Bob

5. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

6. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

From the end of the second link BJ posted...

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

8. Sarvek

Sarvek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This just sucks. I love his blog and he has great reference material. This just sucks. I hope that he brings it back. He is a great artist and always gives credit where credit is do. This just sucks! :evil: :evil:

9. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed. This was and is cause for sadness and dismay. Hopefully, it gets resolved and the blog restored quickly.

10. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Else he could set up shop here in the art forum.. :shifty:

11. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

^He is a member here, though it's been a long time since he's posted. Maybe if we say his name we can summon him.

Drexler, Drexler, Drexler!

12. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If Malakai isn't full of malarkey*, then I want Doug to know that his site was a favorite resource and glimpse behind the scenes of Star Trek for many.

I'm sorry folks gave you trouble, Doug!

*Sorry, Gep, that flowed together too well to ignore.

13. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder if CBS made him take it down?

14. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I doubt it. If CBS had had words with Doug, we'd have known it far sooner than this.

15. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

And I doubt Doug would cover for them by passing the blame onto his colleagues. He's always struck me as the sort that would just come out and say so if CBS asked him to shut down.

Shame though. I loved all the behind the scens stuff he had on his blog.

16. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Well crap. I downloaded a few images occasionally for research, so I still have those. John Eaves' blog is still active, and he sometimes does pinup photography with the girls in a familiar red dress.

17. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Wow. If this is permanent, it is a great loss for Trek tech fandom. I used to follow DrexFiles religiously. It would be absolutely horrible if it were dead due likely to nothing more than what seems to be an accidental misunderstanding.

18. timelord1010

timelord1010 Captain Captain

I agree with you 100%. I have been going to Mr. Drexler's site for years and saved some of his Trek images for personal use, mainly for my desktop images.

He also had some incredible behind the scenes stories that were incredible. Like the story of a guy that came across the Enterprise TV show sets being destroyed and he tried to get a truck to pick them up but the person in charge had orders from "a high up CBS Exec" that hated Trek to have them destroyed.
    This story was on Mr. Drexler's site, with pictures.

This truly was a incredible source of information that I hope can return along with the archived information.

19. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

If you were into modeling (CGI or physical) his blog was a invaluable resource. Not to mention the little technical articles he wrote up for the NX-01 explaing this or that bit of tech.

Didn't John Eaves have a similar story/report on his blog? Seemed like Paramount/Viacom/CBS really wanted to send a message to the "Save Enteprise" people/Fans in general that Trek was dead, done, get over, it's buried.

20. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I hate it when bright people have falling outs, as with Thomas and Iverson and what not.