MLB Discussion - 2012 Season

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Save that LOL for the Mets, I believe that it is a trademark infringement to use it for another team.

2. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

^No kidding. They went from buyers to sellers in a week. Not that they have much to sell.

3. Tom Hendricks

I wish someone would take Jason Bay, we'll take back a bag of balls and some chew.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

And now the Marlins want to trade Hanley and Heath for...Carl Crawford?

5. SmoothieX

Don't worry, he'll hurt something again by the weekend.

Everything that lead to their 1st half success is falling apart. The starting pitching was lights out, Wright was playing like an MVP, and they got timely contributions from a bunch of no name kids.

Now the wheels are coming off the pitching, Wright is back to Earth, and the younger players are fading. The worst thing are the defensive and baserunning miscues in recent games.

6. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

That idiot Chad Durbin being sent in by the even bigger idiot Fredi Gonzalez. Bochy and Fredi were trying to out-stupid each other last night with incredibly stupid decisions. We were all saying Durbin was going to lose the game for us in the 9th inning or so. He's a worthless piece of trash that needs to be in A ball. There's one pitcher for the Braves every year that sucks complete dick and he's the guy this year. I just don't understand why we have to fill the extra innings guy who can't get outs quota.

7. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It really seems like the longer a game goes, the more idiot a manager becomes. I was really surprised Bochy took out pretty much his entire line-up (Cabrera, Posey, and Sandoval) as the game went on. Giants got lucky with the long ball last night.

8. Starbreaker

David Ross is just amazing. If McCann chooses to go somewhere else during free agency, we need to try to convince Ross to be our regular catcher for a while.

9. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Buster Olney quashed this rumor right away -- it doesn't seem to have any traction.

I'd laugh so hard if the Marlins went into a hard sell mode just a few months after opening up their new stadium.

10. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So.. who's gonna give the Cubs some awesome prospects for Dempster and Garza? Or even... Soriano! C'mon you know you want em!
    ;)

11. Timby

The Dodgers, Braves, Red Sox and Cardinals have all made it known they'd like Dempster, though the Dodgers are supposedly the front-runners for him. The Cubs had said that they wanted Dempster gone by the end of the week so they could ramp up the market for Garza, but he's still penciled in for tomorrow's start, so it doesn't look like that's going to happen. Complicating the trade market is that Dempster and his family live in Chicago and he isn't terribly interested in leaving (though he's agreed to waive his 10-5 rights), so it's entirely possible that a team could trade for him, only for him to return to the Cubs with a team-friendly contract in the offseason.

Garza's another story. The Red Sox are in on Dempster, but they really want Garza -- the problem is that their system is barren and they have nothing of real value to trade, outside of someone like Middlebrooks, and even though Ben Cherington is a moron, he isn't nearly stupid enough to trade his new toy (even though I wish he were).

C'mon, Theo. Ship Garza to Atlanta for Julio Teheran. Be a wizard.

12. Tom Hendricks

What the problem is RIGHT NOW is that the Mets have a different lineup every single game. When they were playing their best, the same team was sent out game after game. Now, who knows what the starters will be. What happen the Mets became somewhat successful for all the reasons you mentioned, so instead of keeping to the fun of playing the kids and some other pieces, they are now TRYING to win. Go back to just playing, let the kids play. This is the starting line up I want, every day regardless of who is on the mound.

1. Ruban Tejada SS
    2. Kirk Nieuwenhuis LF
    3. David Wright 3B
    4. Ike Davis 1B
    5. Lucas Duda RF
    6. Daniel Murphy 2B
    7. Josh Thole C
    8. Andres Torres CF

That should be the starters, regardless who is on the mound. Except when people need a rest and so forth. If Scott Hairston makes another start, I will pull my hair out. He is a pinch hitter, thats it. It pains me to no end to see him in a game.

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ How soon do you think it will be before DenDekker or Wheeler or Harvey come up?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  14. SmoothieX

I'd say put Torres #2, and Nieuwenhuisin the 7 or 8 spot.

I like Hairston, Cedeno, and Valdespin off the bench for the occasional at bat. And i want to toss a bag of rabid ferrets into the bullpen.

15. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

A's put up a big win on New York last night. Hopefully they do it at least 2 more times this weekend.

16. Starbreaker

WTF is wrong with the Rockies? Their GM must be a complete moron. Their pitchers all suck balls so they trade for an even worse pitcher???

17. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

A little while ago, the Phillies's Cole Hamels publicly told management that no matter who he was playing for at the end of the season, he would still give the Phillies the first option to re-sign him at the end of the season. The message was unmistakable - trade me for some talent and I'll come back in the off season. However, other teams got the message too, so he didn't have much trade value. Then the story shifted to how they could not reach a deal and how he likely would be a free agent. Now the report appears to be that Cole Hamels and the Phillies appear to be close to a deal. There's still the issue of the luxury tax, which could hit them in the next season or two.

On the other hand, the team has the big dilemma of sell or buy after going 4-2 on the last road trip. Basically, they did well enough to show promise but not enough to realistically make the playoffs:

18. Starbreaker

Braves had their biggest comeback in 25 years, overcoming a 9 run deficit to beat the gNats 11-10.

19. Timby

I believe it's generally accepted that Dan O'Dowd has photos of the Monfort brothers engaging in lewd acts with farm animals, as there's no other explanation for him having had his job since the end of the 1999 season.

20. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

Hell Sanchez walks everyone, so it'd be hard for someone to hit a homer off him in Coors if the ball is never in the same zip code as the plate.