Charting the Novel-verse

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Turtletrekker, May 26, 2010.

1. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

What has Tim Burton got to do with Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy?

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Tim Burton directed a movie called Beetlejuice in the '80s.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Which was a pun, because the character's name was actually spelled in-story as Betelgeuse.

4. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why is A Stitch in Time is just in the Connected section, instead of the Secondary continuity section? Especially since the Secondary continuity list includes The Lives of Dax (also published before Avatar), Terok Nor trilogy (heavily includes the Oralian Way, which was originally introduced in A Stitch in Time), and Prophecy and Change ("The Calling" is a sequel to ASIT)? Also, apart from being directly referenced in Avatar, ASIT established Garak's role in the post-Dominion Cardassia that was referenced in the later books, includingThe Never-Ending Sacrifice, and, from what I've heard (haven't read it yet), the Cardassian story in Worlds of Deep Space Nine?

Another thing, shouldn't Seeds of Dissent be 'connected' both to the Eugenics Wars books (which I believes it references) and - by the same principle you used to classify Places of Exile as related to VOY continuity - DS9 (even though his family name is never stated, it's obvious that the character called "Mace" is meant to be an alternate version of Darrah Mace from Terok Nor: Day of the Vipers; pretty much everyone else in the novella is a version of a character we already know, the age fits - he is described as an older Bajoran man, which he would be at the time when the novella takes place, and the novella and Day of the Vipers were both written by James Swallow)?

5. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I think my rationale for putting A Stitch in Time in the "connected" section instead of a "primary" section is because it was written before the relaunch without the intent of connecting it to anything else (As was, as you say, The Lives of Dax). But you're right, I conceed this as an error on my part and should've made an exception for ASiT.

As for the rest, that's why I hope to make updates to this every so often.

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  6. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

typo on Britta

7. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

More like Freudian slip on Britta :lol:

8. Turtletrekker

Thanks!

And thank you as well. Also, thanks to you and Rosalind for indulging me with this project.

I actually missed quite a few annotations. I had notes with them, but must've accidently deleted them. Luckily, Memory Beta still has them.

I was 100% positive that I had seen annotations for The Art of the Impossible. Turned out I was thinking of KRAD's acknowledgements. :lol:

I've been remiss in not thanking Memory Beta and it's contributors. It made research and cross-reference a lot quicker and easier than keeping myself knee-deep in novels for hours at a time.

9. Turtletrekker

ADDENDUM ONE: AUTHOR'S ANNOTATIONS
    Annotations not linked to in the main body of the list.

TOS
    In The Name of Honor by Dayton Ward
    Mere Anarchy: Things Fall Apart by Dayton Ward and Kevin Dilmore.
    Constellations anthology, annotations by Allyn Gibson
    "The Aliens Are Coming" by Dayton Ward from Strange New Worlds III

TNG
    Section 31: Abyss by Andy Mangels and Michael A. Martin, annotations by Mangels.
    A Time for War, A Time for Peace by Keith R.A. Decandido.
    "Friends With the Sparrows" by Christopher L. Bennett, The Sky's The Limit anthology.

DS9
    Warpath by David Mack

VOY
    "Brief Candle" by Christopher L. Bennett
    "Almost... But Not Quite" by Dayton Ward, in Strange New Worlds II.

Vanguard
    Summon The Thunder by Dayton Ward and Kevin Dilmore, annotations by Ward.

And thanks to Memory Beta, I discovered annotations for this Strange New World story, "The Immortality Blues", by Marc Carlson in which he makes reference to The Sundered.

10. Turtletrekker

To Dayton Ward: According to Memory Beta, you once had annotations for "The Aliens Are Coming", "Almost, But Not Quite" and Things Fall Apart, but the links are bad. Do they still exist elsewhere? ETA: Never mind.

To William Leisner: The same Memory Beta page says that you once had annotations for The Insolence of Office as well as Out of the Cocoon. Will we see them again with the (hopefully) eventual release of Slings and Arrows in trade?

To Christopher: The direct link to your "Brief Candle" notes on this page doesn't seem to work.

11. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"The Aliens Are Coming"

"Almost, But Not Quite"

Things Fall Apart

(I've edited the Memory Beta page, so the links there are correct now, too)

He said earlier in this thread that he plans to re-post those for OotC at least:

Works for me.

12. Turtletrekker

Thanks for the info. Will add to addendum (Addaddendum?).
    I did catch the earlier reference, which is why I said "as well as", but I could've been clearer. The question was specific to the eventully seeing annotations for The Insolence of Office.
    Really? The link from Christopher's page? I still get nothin'.

13. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^The link that didn't work was the one on the top of my Trek Fiction page that was supposed to jump down to the introductory "Brief Candle" discussion on the same page. Defcon, you were using the link from that introductory discussion to the spoiler notes on a different page. (The main page is kept mostly spoiler-free for those who haven't read the stories/novels yet.) I've now fixed the former link. Turtletrekker, thanks for pointing that out.

15. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

Yes. Probably well before.

16. Turtletrekker

When I saw these annotations, I put them in because I was sure that I remembered something specific about this story, which I assumed to be a novel-reference. Turned out, it wasn't a novel reference at all, but rather a reference to the classic old Bloom County comic strip! :lol:

Now there's another can of worms. Opus has appeared in the Pearls Before Swine strip, which has been known to break the lines betweeen strips (literally) and go wandering the comics page. And of course Bloom County's Opus, Portnoy and Hodgepodge appeared in one of Peter David's early Trek comics in the form of hallucinations seen by Kirk. :lol::techman:

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  17. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

Opus and Bill are canon. Everything else is apocryphal.

18. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Alhough it shouldn't count, didn't Jean Lorrah's Andorians/Theskians from some TOS novel and TNG Metamorphosis reference old Andorian fanfics?

19. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Jean Lorrah was seemingly paying homage to some Andorian speculations from the old zine article, A Summary of the Physiological Roots of Andorian Culture (1976) by her old fanfic colleague, Leslie Fish (eg. references to Thralen's "the Great Mother" deity).

http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/2009/09/summary-of-physiological-roots-of.html

20. ToddCam

ToddCam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hey Turtletrekker, nice job! I did something a few years ago that I haven't updated in a long time. Guess I don't need to anymore.

Sorry to be the grammar police, but "its" is the possessive form of "it." "It's" is a contraction for "it is." You kept making the mistake.

I noticed you left out the Enterprise Logs anthology in your Misc. section. It had several stories, each focusing on an Enterprise captain. When I did my research back in the day I concluded the following had connections:

"Though Hell Should Bar the Way" by Greg Cox. A story of Captain April's Enterprise. The ship's crew was consistent with that of Diane Carey's TOS novel Best Destiny.

"Conflicting Natures" by Jerry Oltion. A story of Captain Pike. It is consistent with Where Sea Meets Sky of the Captain's Table series.

"Night Whispers" by Diane Duane. A Will Decker story of the refit. It makes Rihannsu references.

"Shakedown" by Peter David. Harriman story. It directly references The Captain's Daughter.

"The Captain and the King" by John Vornholt is a Picard story told in the Captain's Table. However, it is inconsistent with the depiction of Andor in the DS9-PF novels.

Also, Uhura being in charge of SI was established in Vulcan's Heart first.