Abrams Commits To Direct

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by M'Sharak, Sep 14, 2011.

1. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I'd rather wait for a good film, rather than have a film rushed out. Besides even if it comes out in 2012, we might have to wait until 2016 for the next film.

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Pretty much, yeah.

Of course, IRL none of the friends I see movies with and only a couple of family members are trekkies.

3. Sean Aaron

Sean Aaron Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually they did consult with scientists on the show from time to time so no need to run too far in the opposite direction.

It is just a tv show, though...

4. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

It was funny without being campy and it was a nice contrast to the excitement of the moment of Kirk trying to confirm that Vulcan was under attack.

5. Sean Aaron

Sean Aaron Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I also thought that sequence was pretty funny and well-paced.

6. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

And they supposedly had a consultant for this movie too. In a couple areas she either didn't do her job or the writers just ignored her.

I think his point was that Nemesis and Enterprise were a failure, meaning that success can come at any moment. If JJ's trek had failed, there would be someone else there to try. It wouldn't just go away forever.

7. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

This. :techman:

8. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Waiting for better Trek. What have you been doing here aside from asking silly questions?

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

That's why they're called "consultants". Their suggestions/advice can be ingored if it interfers with the story or the visual drama. Thats true of pretty much any movie, be it a biopic or a SF action blockbuster.

10. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Red Matter is no more ridonkulous than the Genesis Device. Neither is travelling through time through a black hole. In fact, if anything, these things are more realistic.

11. I Grok Spock

I Grok Spock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yep.

Yep².

12. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

Are you seriously suggesting that they would just keep cranking them out until something finally hit? Really? Name one franchise that has been that forgiving.

13. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Copy/pasting from something I posted a couple of years ago concerning the same question:

14. Jon1701

Jon1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

1.21 Jigawatts!

15. Jon1701

Jon1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

After it was a hit, Zemeckis intended to make a sequel but got delayed making "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" and they had to push it back.

Hmmm...Where I have I heard that before? ;)

16. Ryan8bit

Aliens/Predator? Incredible Hulk? Terminator?

History is littered with people making mediocre reboots/sequels in an effort to profit off of earlier success. While a failure or a few failures have the potential to slow things down, they can't completely halt a franchise forever.

I don't really care about Red Matter or the Genesis Device. They're plainly in the realm of fiction. What doesn't make sense is when they take something that is real science and they mess it up. This has happened often throughout Star Trek, just probably not as much in one outing.

17. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

I don't understand. Which of those franchises had four consecutive failures and was permitted to continue?

18. Ryan8bit

You're going to have to define failure first, and what you're counting as the initial three. If it's Insurrection/Enterprise/Nemesis, then by those standards, every movie after Aliens was a failure, which would be four movies, and they've greenlit a fifth now. Regardless of how Prometheus does, I can guarantee there will be another Alien movie of some sort. Terminator is the same way. With incredible failures both in film and on TV, they're still talking about making a fifth movie. It may take time, but it will happen.

19. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, but what color are the fucking warp nacelles going to be?!?

Dammit. :brickwall:

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral