So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

I'm reading The Drowned Cities, a sequel to Ship Breaker.

2. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Read Star Wars: The Clone Wars- Defenders of the Lost Temple. The last The Clone Wars comic I haven't read. It's about a Clone who thinks he has the Force. Pretty weird, but actually one of the best of the The Clone Wars digests.

3. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Started Demons of Air and Darkness (Book 4 of the Twist of Faith Omnibus) tonight.

4. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've just finished reading Paws for murder by Annie Knox and the ds9 novels Fearful Symmetry and The Soul Key by Olivia Wood.

5. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I just started Avatar book 2. Fantastic read so far. Really liked book 1. I'm glad I waited to dive into the DS9 relaunch until now :techman:

6. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Taking a bit of a break from treklit.

I read Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, which was fairly amusing, but not as much as most of Pratchett's stuff.
    Then I read Brighton Belle by Sara Sheridan, a mystery novel set just after world war 2, which was quite an enjoyable read.
    I just finished Portuguese Irregular Verbs by Alexander McCall-Smith. This was supposed to be a comedic novel, but this was one of the worst books I've ever read. It was the first of his books i've read, and I think it will be the last.

7. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, I've finished the book. Sadly the quality hasn't improved much.

8. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

Reading "No Time Like the Past" by Greg Cox. Very,very good so far.

Picked up my first James Patterson novel - 43 consecutive two to three page chapters. He used about every suspense novel trope in existence in the first five chapters. Didn't finish it.

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Undefeated: Inside the 1972 Miami Dolphins' Perfect Season by Mike Freeman

10. Tarheel

Tarheel Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I just finished Avatar: Book One and will be starting Book Two following a weekend getaway. I would say that I'm kicking myself for waiting so long to start on the DS9 relaunch!

11. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

"Crescent Dawn" by Clive Cussler with Dirk Cussler. So much fun.

12. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

StarTrek TNG Indistinguishable from magic by John McIntee I really like this book it's nice to see Geordi having his own command and Scotty again.:)

13. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Who?

To quote Papa Lazarou, "Hello DAAAAVE!"

14. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Batman: Four Of A Kind collects the Year One stories for four villains, from the 1995 Annuals.

Alan Grant's Poison Ivy story has the best art, but a weak story. The art does very much sexualise Ivy, but works in context (like when she's actively trying to seduce Bats), and actually adheres to proper anatomy. Unfortunately her self-proclaimed backstory is the sort of astoundingly cliched "all men are lying hypocritical abusing bastards" that your average MRA type thinks is what feminism is about.

Chuck Dixon's Riddler story is the best story, with a good punchline, but has the worst art. It's a good read, though.

Doug Moench's Scarecrow story is pretty decent, with disappointing art, but really suffers from an unreadable italic font in most of the caption boxes.

Chuck Dixon's Man-Bat story is nice, and has nice enough art, but it's strange that it's included in a villains' backstory collection, as the Man-Bat is clearly *not* a villain, and does nothing evil in the story - he's just a victim. But Batman does beat the shit out of him and drug him, just in case.

Anyway, a reasonable collection overall, if variable, but nothing really standout.

15. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Just finished reading "Chain of Attack" by Gene DeWeese (1987, ST-TOS #32) and it was fairly interesting. A bit of a challenge to justify the $9.99 which I paid for it on my e-reader. For fun, I am reading "Alcohol & Drug Problems: A Practical Guide for Counsellors" (2nd ed.) edited by Harrison & Carver (Addiction Research Foundation, 1997) which I got at a thrift store. Still have lots of the early novels to read. Like reading the recent ones though. I do not know if I have read more, or less, than 200 ST novels so far. Have started reading "Plato at the Googleplex: Why Philosophy Won't Go Away" by Rebecca Newberger Goldstein (March 2014) for a reading group I'm in. An interesting style of writing perhaps.

16. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finished Star Trek: Assignment Earth. Pretty good. Wasn't there a second one of these?

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

You mean the IDW miniseries? No, that was the only one, although Byrne did sequels to one of its issues in his miniseries Crew and Leonard McCoy: Frontier Doctor. (Those three miniseries and the stories collected in Romulans: Pawns of War form a sort of interconnected "Byrneverse" of their own.)

There were a couple of earlier Gary Seven stories in DC's TOS volume 2 by Howard Weinstein, unconnected to the Byrne comics. And of course there are the Greg Cox novels about Gary and Roberta.

18. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

For the record, Gary and Roberta are featured prominently in three of my novels: Assignment: Eternity, The Eugenics Wars (Volume One), and The Eugenics Wars (Volume Two).

You might also check out In History's Shadow by Dayton Ward.

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^That's From History's Shadow, though I keep thinking it's In too.

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Leviathan Wakes, ST Cast No Shadow and ST Unspoken Truth. Kindle makes book juggling a lot easier. ;)