Anybody Else Find The Kirk/Spock/Mccoy Scenes In TFF Fantastic?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by slappy, Aug 26, 2015.

1. slappy

slappy Commodore Commodore

Honestly, althought Final Frontier is a mostly garbage movie, the scenes between Kirk, Spock and Bones are wonderful to me. They not only hearkens back to the original series, they progress the characters voices so perfectly from TOS that it seems like they were written by the exact same person or persons at a later time in their own life. Kirk is far more reflective, but still a cowboy. Spock is attempting to be as logical as ever, but you can tell he's mellowed. Bones is Bones and will always be Bones. He was born an old man :lol:

Anybody else agree?

Qonundrum and DamarsKanar like this.
  2. svenden

svenden Lieutenant Red Shirt

Yes, completely. I actually like Final Frontier, and the scenes and chemistry between the triad are the entire reason why. The whole Brig/Breakout sequence on the Enterprise is just pure gold because of those three.

Qonundrum likes this.
  3. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Definitely. The crumminess of the movie in general overshadowed the good parts for me for a long time, but I really enjoy big chunks of the film now. Almost exclusively the Kirk/Spock/McCoy scenes. :)

4. Disco

Disco Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Makes the film worth watching.

5. Firebird

Firebird Commodore Commodore

On the Cinerama screen, in glorious Technicolor.
    The first thing I think of when this film comes up are the "Big Three" scenes. Shatner and Loughery made those scenes shine in an otherwise uneven film. Their easy interplay and palpable friendship on screen easily brings me back to watch it quite often.

6. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They're okay, but some of it is quite dumb.

I like McCoy's revelation about his father, and the way it's foreshadowed in the opening.

I like the idea of seeing them all together in their off duty, but the "Marshmellon" nonsense and the rocket boots and all that, it's just... No... To quote a Shatner song "I can't get behind that..!"

7. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

I agree that the scenes between Kirk, Spock, and McCoy are some of the best things about the movie. The more dramatic scenes like when they are first discussing Sybok in the observation lounge, and their reliving past experiences were beautifully done.

The campfire scenes were nice too.

The comedy in the brig seemed a bit forced though.

8. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I still enjoy this movie as much as any favorite OS episode.

9. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Good scenes mainly due to the actors and their experience working together.

Could any of us see the same warmth between Pine/Quinto/Urban happening?

I mean, I enjoy nuTrek, but there's a much different chemistry there.

10. svenden

svenden Lieutenant Red Shirt

Agreed, but keep in mind that the chemistry we saw in FF was roughly 20 years in the making. Of course, anyone who believes Chris Pine will still be playing James Kirk in twenty years is delusional. Quinto, perhaps. He's the only cast member who seems to really be invested in the role. Nimoy's tutorship probably has a lot to do with that.

11. slappy

slappy Commodore Commodore

C'mon! I loved that. If you had a friend from another land who knew American culture by proxy, he'd probably think "marshmellow" was really "marshmellon" too.

12. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The only good thing about the movie, in my opinion.

13. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I like the scenes on the Enterprise, dealing with their respective pasts, but the camp-out scenes make me cringe.

14. JediKnightButler

JediKnightButler Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is why I can't completely hate TFF. I dislike pretty much everything else about it and it was a HUGE let down after TVH (BTW what happened to the special FX?) but the camaraderie between those 3 characters was pitch perfect in this movie. A little corny at times but still. Those three characters really were at the core of most of the TOS films and this one gave them special emphasis. I also like that they were the only three characters to really refuse/fight getting "brainwashed" by Sybok (though I guess Scotty didn't get caught up in it either). I was always pretty annoyed at how the rest of the crew got taken in by Sybok but at least everything turned out ok in the end.

15. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Shatner, Nimoy and Kelley were pretty good friends off the set too, no?

16. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

They were the main reasons I liked TFF and it made that film the only one that that got the relationship between the three close to the original series.

17. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

The Kirk/Spock/McCoy scenes were the best part of the movie but I actually enjoyed the whole film despite its flaws.

18. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

There's a lot to love about this movie. I've always been impressed by how much Shatner got right in his understanding of the characters. With the exception of...
    Kirk! There was far more Shatner than Kirk in this performance. He came off as petty and a little petulant. Which is also surprising, because as a director he was very generous to the rest of the cast in terms of giving them each something to do and a moment to shine.
    Didn't you always figure that Chekov and Sulu took leave together?
    The emotional impact of Sarek's two words (voiced over by Mark Lenard)... blows all of the Vulcan scenes in AbramsTrek right out of the water.
    And, my God, how wonderful to see Kelley act again when reliving the death of his father.

19. Thowra

Thowra Lieutenant Red Shirt

This is why I love this film.

TUC, for example, is technically better, but it always leaves me feeling a little hollow and sad - Kirk and Spock just seem so at odds with each other.

TFF makes me feel happy :-)

20. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I don't know. TUC has some nice moments involving the three. Like that bittersweet scene with Kirk and Spock near the end: "Could it be that we've outlived our usefulness?" Etc.

And you've got the bit where Spock and McCoy team up to perform "surgery" on the modified torpedo, where they're working together quite effectively.

And the bit where McCoy rolls his eyes when Kirk gets it on with yet another alien babe . . ..

Lots of nice Kirk/Spock/McCoy moments in that movie, reflecting their long friendship and history. IMHO.