2013 Emmy Nominations Announced

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Dream, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

http://tvline.com/2013/07/18/emmy-nominations-2013-list-65th-primetime-emmys-nominees/

Biggest shock of all time has to be Emilia Clarke getting nominated for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama, especially over fellow GoT actress Michelle Fairley. I've always considered her the weakest lead actress on Game of Thrones...

Did your favorite shows/actors get nominated? Who do you want to win?

I'll be rooting for GoT as always.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Tatiana Maslany not being nominated for anything is really disappointing but not surprising. The Emmys are so freaking predictable. :rolleyes:

3. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I'm also surprised Emilia Clarke was nominated over Michelle Fairley, but at least Peter Dinklage was nominated, again. Alas, still no Charles Dance.

However, I'm thrilled to see the love for House of Cards and Top of the Lake as well as Elisabeth Moss, who is nominated in two different lead actress categories. I really hope she wins one of them.

4. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

Meh, haven't thought the Emmy nominations have had it together in years. They need to really break up the Outstanding Drama/Comedy/Actor/Actress categories into Broadcast/Basic Cable & Premium Channels/Netflix.

So many great shows and performers never get the respect they deserve because the Emmys are waaaaaaay behind the modern times.

People always ask me, why I don't watch it anymore. If I don't care who wins because I don't care about the nominees, why waste the time?

5. tomalak301

Should they have 2 Emmy shows? I understand the need to break up cable/broadcast, but if you do that, wouldn't the show be like 5 hours long? I know they have the Daytime Emmy Awards so maby they might need to add another one for Cable/Netflix. I actually do understand the Netflix critique that it's not really considered "Primetime". TV is going through a golden age of good shows and high quality (Better than movies I think) but with so much out there to choose from, it makes an awards show like the Emmys feel out of date.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  6. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

He wasn't submitted for consideration. The cast members submitted for Emmy consideration for the third season were:

Supporting Actor: Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Peter Dinklage, Kit Harington
    Supporting Actress: Emilia Clarke, Natalie Dormer, Michelle Fairley, Lena Headey, Sibel Kekilli
    Guest Performer: Ciarán Hinds, Diana Rigg

I'm not sure if it's purely up to HBO and the producers to choose who gets submitted, or if the cast members have input in the matter. The inclusion of Kekilli (the weakest cast member in my opinion) over Maisie Williams is a headscratcher.

I'm glad to see Emilia Clarke and Diana Rigg join Peter Dinklage in the acting noms.

7. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I heard Natalie Dormer and Sibel Kekilli both submitted themselves, both paying the fees involved with the process.

HBO probably considers Maisie Williams too young to have a real chance at being nominated, so they don't make the effort to push her.

Charles Dance doesn't seem to care about whether he is nominated or not.

8. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

They could break it up into two shows. It would be interesting to see which gets better ratings/better hosts.

9. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I agree including Sibel Kekilli over Maisie Williams is a head scratcher, but I'm still disappointed about Charles Dance. I guess Dream is right that he doesn't care.

Still, I agree it's good to see other actors from Game of Thrones being nominated and I wouldn't be surprised if Diana Rigg wins.

10. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Kekilli and Dormer submitted themselves. HBO just submitted Clarke, Fairley, and Headey.

Maisie Williams and Sophie Turner are both terrific on the show, and better than Clarke, but they're too young to be seriously considered.

It's hardly surprising that Fairley wasn't nominated. Diana Rigg had much more screentime than her, and she was submitting for guest actress.

The biggest story of these nominees, coupled with last year, is broadcast TV drama being on life support. Among the "Big 7" drama categories, broadcast shows managed only 3 of 41 nominations (Kerry Washington, Connie Britton, and Christine Baranski). Last year was the first year that there were no broadcast nominees for Best Drama, but this year makes it two in a row, and they were also shut out of Best Writing, Best Directing, Best Lead Actor, and Best Supporting Actor.

11. tomalak301

^This is why I think they have to split the Emmy Awards and maybe have 2 shows. Broadcast just don't have the freedoms as cable does, so that's why they're being blown away. It's a shame too because there are still some good broadcast shows out there. I mean if shows like 30 Rock and Parks and Rec were on in the early 90s, they might blow away the competition, except for maybe Seinfeld, Friends, and Frasier.

I do think it comes down to if you're not allowed to swear on TV, than your show is inferior to shows that have that freedom. Best example of this is Girls being nominated for best comedy. How the hell is that show a comedy or even good? There are many comedies (New Girl, Parks and Rec, etc) that are much more deserving, but because Girls is on HBO, it has an advantage.

12. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

"WHERE ARE MY EMMYS?!!!!"

[​IMG]

13. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Better writing, acting, and directing will trump nudity, profanity, and (lots of) blood, any day. You take any of that out of the drama nominees and you still have reat shows.

Broadcast T.V. should be held to the same high standards being set by cable and premium cable. Broadcast needs to work harder at producing quality shows. Look at CBS, the broadcast ratings kings. They openly seek ratings over quality and their shows reflect this. The rest seem to be following suit.

The broadcasters always seem to be hamstrung seeking the almighty dollar over quality. Cable, with their much lower overhead, can present emphasize quality.

It seems the bradcasters may be headed down the same road as the big recording companies were 15-20 years ago. That road is leading to oblivion. The internet is in the process of claiming another victim.

14. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Broadcast comedies don't really have the same problems getting recognized as broadcast drama does, but then, trends in drama have allowed cable to really outclass broadcast drama on the whole.
    Girls is one of the most acclaimed comedies on TV. Much like Louie, it's not a particularly traditional comedy (and I myself stopped watching it), but it getting nominated isn't because it's on cable (though it's a show that only cable could actually make).

15. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Hope Breaking Bad finally wins best drama this season. Sorry to see the Tatiana Mazlany didn't get a nomination, but of course, no surprise. Perhaps next year. And speaking of next year, Netflix will likely do some more scoring when the voters discover "Orange is the New Black'.

16. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

17. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

How the hell is The Big Bang Theory even considered? Especially over Parks and Rec? What mad world have I awoken in?

18. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Big Bang Theory tells predictable one-off jokes to a laugh track about pop culture nerd stereotypes.

Parks and Recreation focuses on modern original character development and insightful political satire.

Of course Big Bang Theory gets more recognition.

19. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I was also surprised to see Emilia Clarke on there. She's okay in the part but nothing close to a stand out. I find the character to be interesting but that's down to the writing and pretty much nothing to do with Clarke.

20. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

I'm rooting for 30 Rock (R.I.P. :() for comedy, and Mad Men or House of Cards for drama.

I'm a Downton Abbey fan as well, but it's really just a trashy soap opera masquerading as a sophisticated drama.

I don't think it's such a great idea to split up cable and broadcast into separate categories. The big networks just need to step up their game.