long waits on Netflix

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Temis the Vorta, Mar 27, 2010.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I don't know how the 360 Netflix works, but on my PS3, when I turn on Netflix, my entire queue shows up, and I have to scroll back and forth to find what I want. There are categories at the top of the page (like Comedy, SciFi, Drama, etc), but they just show me random movies from the Netflix library, not from my own personal queue.

I'd like to be able to create folders on the Netflix website to put my movies in, and then have those folders show up when I sign on with my PS3.

2. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

Doesn't anyone just watch through an internet browser anymore? My computer is an integral part of my 5.1 home entertainment system.

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I hate watching anything through a browser. I like to be able to use my computer for other things while watching stuff on my TV.

4. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm guessing that the expectation is that you either keep a small amount of movies in the instant queue, want to watch the oldest or newest movie added to the instant queue next, or will use the computer to bump something up to the top of the queue, even if you're actually watching on the TV screen.

I won't argue that being able to sort queues by different criteria wouldn't be useful, but it would make the experience a little less streamlined and simplified.

5. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

Agreed. In my "play room" I have a TV screen next to my computer so I can watch "tv" (via netflix or Bluray) while on the computer. I mean, gee, how else would I have enough time to come up with some of these great BBS topics I spew out on a nearly constant basis???

Rob

6. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

On a wild tangent, I find this interesting. I wonder how many other people today multitask instead of just sitting and watching a show. I imagine a whole lot. I don't think that used to be the case.

7. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

Um....I'm broke and all. :shifty:

8. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Should have gone to the Razzies, she was giving them away. :lol:

9. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I am normally watching a show, doing something on my computer, cooking/eating, and doing laundry all at the same time.

If I'm sitting on the couch watching my TV, my computer is almost always in my lap...unless I am holding a plate of food. In that case, I set my computer next to me, eat with my left hand, and type with my right hand.

10. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have my netbook in my lap 95% while watching TV... except when I'm watching Lost, Dexter, Chuck, or a foreign film.

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Chuck and LOST are really the only two shows I watch regularly. Unfortunately, they air while I'm at work, so I am forced to watch them on my laptop (which I really don't enjoy). I am seriously considering getting a DVR just for those shows.

12. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

Oh, now you tell me!

13. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I sent back a DVD and so far, the theory is holding up: one of my "long wait" videos - The Box (don't spoil me! :p) - has magically been freed up and has been sent.

14. Witterquick

Witterquick Captain Captain

Does Netflix ship from just one location? My dvds shipped out on Monday and I only got mine on Thur. I'm on trial subscription now and I don't know if I'm gonna continue.

Good for you Temis. How do you create a new phantom user? I couldn't find a link anywhere on the site. Maybe it's because I'm not a real member yet? The box was pretty boring by the way.

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Nope, they have locations all over the country. I usually gets discs the day after they ship them.

16. Witterquick

Witterquick Captain Captain

That's weird. USPS are usually really fast for me. I'm in NY. Hope the next ones arrives faster.

17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

My "local" warehouse is about three hours from where I live. So I have a good turnaround. If I play it right I can turn and burn three or four films a week.

18. the Dagman

the Dagman Commodore Commodore

When I want a new release coming out on Netflix, I hold back a DVD and send it in either late Friday or the Saturday before the release. Then I will have an open spot first thing on Monday when they are divvying out who gets the new releases that arrive in the Tuesday mail.

19. StarshipDefiant

StarshipDefiant Captain Captain

I did a trial (albeit a few years ago), and my experience was that the trial moved slower then I see Netfilx advertised for. In my case, I added a few movies, got a couple, watched them, sent them back and...it was after I ended the trial (so I wouldn't have to pay) when they were logged in as "returned"

20. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Blockbuster has gotten pathetic over the past year. They have long been accused of taking their time with shipments to customers who have a fast turn-around time (which is true in my case). Plus, they started counting the free store rentals I took home in exchange for the mailed ones in the "at home" section, which further slowed the process.

In December, they began to advertise "unlimited" free in-store returns (above the usual 5 per month), which they extended until March. But they got around this by taking two weeks to ship available dvds from my queue, even when I had nothing "at home". I guess Blockbuster finally realized that charging $21.99 per month, with 5 free in store exchanges worth $5.25 each - they were losing money. I sure got a "free ride" for a number of years.

After three separate occasions of waiting two weeks, and a number of unanswered email complaints, I quit my membership.