Everyone leaves L&O:CI?!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by bigdaddy, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Daneel

Daneel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whatever differences he might have had with Dick Wolf, I presume they must have patched things up more or less, considering his return to the Law & Order universe in CI. Granted, it seems like Wolf is less involved with CI (I gather that Rene Balcer is the head honcho there), but I'm sure he's around some of the time. Plus, they were both on Inside the Actor's Studio together (along with S. Epatha Merkerson), which may not mean a heck of a lot, but it didn't seem like there was any great tension between them.

As for this news about CI, I'm a little surprised all these changes are happening so close together, but it doesn't really affect me any. I'm never quite sure when CI is on (I've only seen one of Goldblum's episodes so far), and accordingly, I only watch it sporadically, whereas I watch the other two fairly regularly.

I almost didn't notice that the original Law & Order has its season premiere tonight. I guess I'll tune in -- I'm just dying to find out if Jack McCoy got re-elected. ;)

2. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe Law & Order can move to the CW, and the setting can be high school where a young rebellious biker Jack McCoy gets teamed up with studious Catholic Lennie Briscoe. Under the tutelage of history teacher Adam Schiff, they bring law and order to the school. Often with their shirts off. And McCoy also has his own personal subplot of having a torrid affair with his hot political science teacher Nora Lewin, while Briscoe is often butting heads with jock Ben Stone.

3. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

You and most of America. I'm expecting some of its worst ratings ever tonight.

4. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

The original is still on out of pity.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know L&O won't last forever, but it would truly suck if they cancelled it now, right when some of its best talent (Linus Roache, Anthony Anderson, Jeremy Sisto) have just joined... :(

6. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe now would be a good time to bring back Homicide. I liked it better than any of the L&O's anyway.

7. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Thank god. I don't watch Criminal Intent largely because I can't stand D'Onofrio. Goldblum is cool though.

Hey, Law & Order has already survived a move to the Friday night death slot once, around Season 17 or 18. It can survive again. Besides, it's not like NBC has anything else that it can rely on. Why do you think they ceded an entire 3rd of their weekday prime time lineup to The Jay Leno Show? Plus, since NBC-Universal also owns the franchise, it's in their interests to keep it on the air so they can keep selling it into syndication & DVDs. (Isn't that the same reason why ABC has kept Scrubs on way past its expiration date?)

Still, I agree SVU will have a lot of problems when Stabler & Benson leave.

There are 7 seasons of the original Law & Order out on DVD, Seasons 1-6 plus Season 14. Only the 1st 3 seasons of Criminal Intent are on DVD, although Season 4 is slated for release later this year. But I agree Universal needs to pick up the fucking pace!!!:klingon:

:guffaw:I'd watch it. Hell, I'll watch anything with Jack McCoy.:guffaw:

8. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Is SVU chocolate and CI strawberry? :lol:

Also L&O I think is dead this year because the only reason it is on is to make Dick Wolf happy because he wanted at least 20 seasons.

And It's on tonight? I think I'll watch.

9. Aragorn

Yeah, but this Jack McCoy would be played by some 20-something hunk playing a high school student even though he's more wooden than Josh Hartnett.

10. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Law & Order is prohibitively expensive, being shot almost exclusively on-location and having a number of not-inexpensive actors (Sam Waterston is only still on the series because he agreed to take a huge pay cut and a smaller role; Linus Roache and Anthony Anderson don't come cheap; S. Epatha Merkerson's escalators must have her earning a pretty penny by now), produced by a network that is hemorrhaging money right now. The only reason it got a 20th season is so NBC could get Dick Wolf to shut up about Gunsmoke (and to keep a good relationship with him -- there are rumors of a Los Angeles-based Law & Order a few years from now).

And the entire reason for The Jay Leno Show's existence is that Leno started having second thoughts about his agreement to step aside and let Conan take over the big chair, and then made it clear in no uncertain terms that both FOX and ABC had expressed interest in giving him a late-night slot directly opposing The Tonight Show. NBC panicked, decided to cut costs on its already stagnant primetime lineup, and gave Leno his early-show gig.

It doesn't. Dick Wolf owns the rights in their entirety (the series was originally made for CBS). NBC owns the distribution rights for what has already been produced, though.

I will bet any amount of money that SVU ends after the 2010-11 season, when Hargitay and Meloni's contracts expire. They both just got pay raises from about $7 million a year to a little under $10 million, and it was only at the last minute that they agreed to drop their demand of profit participation.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  11. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

It'd be funny if they didn't and had to explain year after year where the sixth ranger goes away to come back later and how they have to trade in their old vehicles for new rides.

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Fuck. :( :mad:

13. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

What's your fascination with New York? :lol:

14. Mr. Laser Beam

I've been there and I love the place. What other reason do I need?

Like I said, as long as this theoretical spinoff is *set* in L.A., as well as filmed there, I could give a damn. I just hate it when shows are set in NYC but not shot there. I'm funny that way. :p

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Though I widely prefer The Wire, I'm in the middle of season four of Homicide: Life on the Street right now and boy, is it miles and miles above Law & Order. But, then again, it was a character drama, not a procedural, and thus is not "character proof" in any way. However, I'd be happy to see it return to television nonetheless.

I'm tempted every so often to tune into SVU just to spend some more time watching John Munch, but everytime I've seen it has been so mind-numbingly bland that I haven't seriously entertained the thought much.

16. Aragorn

^ Well if you're interested, there's an X-Files episode where John Munch questions the Lone Gunmen. :p

17. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Oh, I've seen that one, though that was before I really knew who Munch was. I'll probably revisit 'The Unusual Suspects' sometime soon (hell, it even has John Billingsley in it!).

18. Aragorn

And don't forget the Munch episodes of The Wire, The Beat and Arrested Development. :p

19. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

Munch has been criminally wasted on SVU.

20. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Please don't give CW any ideas...